Wong Tao aka Don Wong

Guest pressureworld

Guest shadow kick

Not sure what the standards for judging a movie is on this particular board...

But a movie that has WANG TAO ; CHEN HSING; LUNG FEI ; ALAN HSU and CARTER WONG in addition to the comedic talents of LEE KUN..........

Klassik stuff !!

I think too much shaws have tainted the ability of many to be objective......I think LIU YUNG changing outfits for every scene in just about every shaw flick he apears in (when he has no suitcase) and DAVID CHIANG in shaolin mantis for example coming out of the middle of the woods with new clothes shoes and hairdo to go with it ;when he had no access to any of the above ...

There are always shortcomings in all movies ......

the scene in snake in the egales shadow 2 showing wong tao having a flashback is still hard to figure out......it bears no relevence to the film, but otherwise the movie rocks....some pretty good fight scenes in this flick.

Anyway, one man's trash is another man's treasure........

luv kung fu 24 / 7....

shadowkick

Brigadier Chow

Agreed Shadow Kick, Snaky Knight Fight Against Mantis aka SITES2 is a sleeper hit. Shapes galore, up there with the best of them IMO. Lung Fei steals the show! This movie is tops, just should not have been marketed the way it was. It is hard to go wrong with a Wang Tao movie.

Guest morgoth

The problem I had with Snake in eagle's Shadow 2 is that the story was horrible and the directing was very poor. I did like the fights, but the cat's claw kind of ruined the end of the fights. Still, Lung Fei was awesome in his 3 main fights and Alan Hsu has 2 minutes of good action. Not a total loss.

Guest kungfood

Wang Tao as many of you know was discovered by Lo Wei hoping to find the new Bruce Lee-level superstar, unfortunately, the only film Lo did with him was Yellow-Faced Tiger (Slaughter in San Francisco due to the film's poor public reception. Prior to that, he had been a university student in Texas.

I heard Wang Tao's father had appeared in some Italian spaghetti westerns. Wang was born in HK, but apparently spent many years in Italy where his family lived, prior to his studying in the States.

I heard that early on in Wang's career, he had a lack of control and would hit people on the set. He had to practice punching at people and slowing his punches before contact to eventually develop better control.

Wang Tao was actually in a LOT of films in Taiwan. I can't count the number of films he co-starred in with Chang Yi as the villain. I think at one point he might've had more films under his belt than almost any other Taiwan-based kung fu star. Late in his career, he fought a young Donnie Yen in Drunken Tai Chi, which was Yen's first movie. He also played a Taekwondo coach in a 1988 movie directed by Corey Yuen, starring Collin Chou and with Alexander Lo Rei as villain, but Wang didn't fight in the film, only got kicked by Lo Rei.

My favorite Wang Tao performances include:

Death-Duel of Kung Fu.

The Hot, the Cool, and the Vicious.

Fatal Needles, Fatal Fists.

Bandits, Prostitutes, and Silver (a.k.a., The Damned).

Along Comes the Tiger.

Challenge of Death.

You can see him land a full-powered flying side kick on Han Ying (or a Han Ying stand-in),in Death-Duel of Kung Fu; I'm not sure if he was actually supposed to make full contact on that or if they kept a "mistake" in because it looked so perfect.

Wong Tao also had a great cameo in the otherwise lackluster finale to the YOUNG AND DANGEROUS series, BORN TO BE KING (2000) as a Triad boss named Dragon.

I didn't know about his leg injury, but he sure could kick when it came to SECRET RIVALS.

I also liked his mostly non-MA role in DRUNKEN TAI CHI as the man who hires Eagle Yuen Shun-Yi to kill Donnie Yen and his family. He did have a few seconds of action against Yen before Yen takes on Yuen.

My favorites of his films:

SECRET RIVALS

THE HOT, THE COOL, AND THE VICIOUS

DEATH DUEL OF KUNG FU

SNAKY KNIGHT FIGHTS AGAINST MANTIS (aka SNAKE IN THE EAGLE'S SHADOW 2)

SHAOLIN INVINCIBLE STICKS

He also appeared in a 2004 Mainland film, THE LOVE WINNER, according to Hong Kong Movie Database

• Like 1

Guest Chinatown Kid

The film where Wong plays the TKD coach is Promising Young Man, a pity he doesn't get in on any action but Lo Rei really gets to show off his kicks as the badass Korean Villain in a black Gi.

This guy was the real deal... GH execs. obviously didn't know how to use his talents. He could have filled the void Lee left at their studio had they simply given him quality roles, and choreography with the likes of Sammo. He could have carried some of the leading roles that Angela was given, or like minded hero type roles...

• Like 1

Cognoscente
On 7/5/2007 at 3:30 AM, Guest stormybman said:

I never realized he was adept at the nunchuku as he is until I finally saw Secret Rivals.

It's ironic that we didn't get to see DWT use the nunchaku in his movie with Lo Wei and Chuck Norris.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2007 at 2:43 PM, Guest WalkOn said:

Thanks for confirming the injury.I agree HCV has one the best openings! My favorite film of his is Death Duel of KF. He had the complete package, the looks, physique, ma skills but more importantly a lot of charisma! Too bad he wasn't part of bigger classics.

The opening of Chanllenge of death is great too !

And by the way, talking about this movie, isn't the opening theme the same as the  one of the movie Swordsman at large ? When I heard it, it sounded very familiar, but I was unable to remember where I had already heard it.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2007 at 2:31 AM, Guest theportlykicker said:

Well check these out then:

It was apparently made in 86, but he gets to let loose with some great looking kicks.

Wow !! I need to see this !!

• Like 2