Old School Wu Xia

daTOAD

My taste for Martial Arts films are usually the movies from 1976 and up-i love the choreo from this period. Recently though Ive been reading about some classic swordplay like The Sword of Swords and have been wondering if maybe ive been missing out. The only stuff from the sixties i like is the Italian westerns and the Japanese sword sagas. Any reccomendations for some classic late sixties early seventies Wu Xia flicks? Thanks XD

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yang Wu Liang

Off the top of my head here's a few you might enjoy, judging by your post.

Bells of death

Assassin

Lady Hermit

Devil's Mirror

The Sword (Wang Yu)

Deaf Mute Heroine

Fate of Lee Khan

King of Kings

Bandits From Shantung

Thanks. I ve seen Bells of Death[liked alot] and own Devils Mirror[ love Sun Chung, good flick]. Will check out reccomendations.

My taste for Martial Arts films are usually the movies from 1976 and up-i love the choreo from this period. Recently though Ive been reading about some classic swordplay like The Sword of Swords and have been wondering if maybe ive been missing out. The only stuff from the sixties i like is the Italian westerns and the Japanese sword sagas. Any reccomendations for some classic late sixties early seventies Wu Xia flicks? Thanks XD

What you're looking for can be found among the Shaw Bros. titles released in restored, remastered editions on R3 DVD by Celestial, with some, a trickle so far, finding their way to R1 DVD. Look in the Shaw Bros. forum for the R1 thread to find a list of those titles.

Here are my recommendations, with those released on R1 indicated:

COME DRINK WITH ME (R1)

THE MAGNIFICENT TRIO (coming out next year on R1)

ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN (R1)

THE ASSASSIN

TEMPLE OF THE RED LOTUS

TWIN SWORDS

THE SWORD AND THE LUTE

TRAIL OF THE BROKEN BLADE

GOLDEN SWALLOW

HAVE SWORD WILL TRAVEL (R1)

RETURN OF THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN

THE NEW ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN

THE DEADLY DUO (R1)

BLOOD BROTHERS

THE HEROIC ONES (R1)

THE MAGIC BLADE (R1)

KILLER CLANS

There are dozens more that are worth seeing, but these will get you started.

These are all swordplay films recommended by someone who likes Japanese samurai films and Italian westerns as well. I don't know that they're all exactly wu xia, a genre that I feel has some other distinctions, but I'm guessing these are what you mean.

These are all reviewed on IMDB, so you might want to check there for more detailed reviews/descriptions.

I want to see movies that transcend the dated choreography with tight stories and great characters. From what ive seen Twin Swords and Trail of The Broken Blade look great. Thanks for reccomendations

Dragon Inn is a very fine film. (Loved the soundtrack, among other things.)

A classic.

Haven't seen Touch of Zen yet - but I'm definitely planning to, as soon as I get my hands on it...

Dragon Inn is a very fine film. (Loved the soundtrack, among other things.)

A classic.

Haven't seen Touch of Zen yet - but I'm definitely planning to, as soon as I get my hands on it...

Agreed, I loved the music for Dragon Inn too.

Touch of Zen is a great movie, the first half is a little slow but it sets up the story and characters, the fight in the bamboo forest is about as classic as it gets.

Archived