All R1 Celestials...labels/titles/dates?

DrunkenMantis13

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

Not much, and this is from '77, they weren't really going bonkers with the wires till the early 80's. It's a somber tale about the price of fame, and my personal fave of Chor Yuen's flicks. Yes, it's another Gu Long adaption, but a pretty straight forward one with a lot of atmosphere. The action is secondary here, for me personally.

Are 5 shaolin masters and golden swallow improvement over IVL when comes to picture? I`m considering of doubledipping them because for dub but have not made up my mind yet...

Also are there any r1 release which is "essential" qualitywise to get if owns IVL already..I have about 10 r1 releases only...Dubs are not important ultimately and audiowise of those I have watched so farI was only unhappy with IVL deadly duo...

they're very good quality encodes from the HD Masters for the US Discs. not interlaced PAL-NTSC crap and no 5.1 nonsense either. fully recommended on US DVD (both)

Thx spannick, I put them on order yesterday. And picked today dragon dynastys crippled avengers. Pic looks improvement over ivl and dub is great fun, has been years since watched shaw movie with english audio track.

I've not been keeping up with things for quite some time. What's the status of DD and there remaining releases. Sounds like the rest of MBs second batch got postponed. Can the forum give me a quick refresher on the status of R1 releases?

masterofoneinchpunch
I've not been keeping up with things for quite some time. What's the status of DD and there remaining releases. Sounds like the rest of MBs second batch got postponed. Can the forum give me a quick refresher on the status of R1 releases?

I keep the second post up-to-date. The last two releases are Well Go's:

Jan. 28, 2014: Legend of the Bat

Jan. 28, 2014: Death Duel

Nothing else of late.

masterofoneinchpunch
What other movies does Well Go own the rights to?

What other releases can we perhaps expect in the future from them?

I just sent them an email. If I get a response I will post here. I went over their site and there was no new news on the topic (in fact their old post on the Shaw Brothers is now gone -- stupid changing URLs.)

masterofoneinchpunch

From email:

As of right now, we have not picked up any more Shaw Brothers after the December releases (The Shadow Boxing and The Trail of the Broken Blade).

We are looking out for them and would love to get our hands onto more.

Thank you for being a fan!

Best regards,

Well Go USA Entertainment

Customer Service

thankyouforfu
From email...

Dang. Thanks for the update. Maybe we'll get some surprise releases in 2015. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

thankyouforfu
Shaw Brother's Releases: (recent update to include many more films; all R1 releases are below if you are interested). This does not include R1 coproductions (ones where Celestial does not have the rights).

Dec. 9, 2014: The Shadow Boxing

Dec. 9, 2014: The Trail of the Broken Blade

Hey, the link for The Trail of the Broken Blade is incorrect (it links to The Shadox Boxing instead).

Also, what are the R1 co-productions you mentioned (the ones where Celestial does not have the rights)???

masterofoneinchpunch
Hey, the link for The Trail of the Broken Blade is incorrect (it links to The Shadox Boxing instead).

Also, what are the R1 co-productions you mentioned (the ones where Celestial does not have the rights)???

Fixed link. Thanks! I accidently copied the same link twice.

There are only a few co-productions on R1/R0 NTSC. I never got around to making a list on that, partially because a couple of them like Blood Money (Videoasia) I am not sure if they are grey market items or not. But don't forget the two Shaw/Hammer coproductions Shatter (OOP on Anchor Bay) and The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (this is on a few releases; I have the duo Anchor Bay set with the shorter release version Seven Brothers Meet Dracula .) Rarescope came out with Amazons and Supermen.

Also (for completeness sake, I do not think technically it is a coproduction) Then there is the Rolling Thunder R1 (or is it R0) release (two different releases) of The Mighty Peking Man which is also released by Celestial so I did not include it on the list (plus at one point there was talk of a proper R1 release, but that did not happen.)

thankyouforfu
Shaw Brother's Releases:

BCI:

Jan. 6, 2009: Life Gamble -- Blu-ray (does anyone have this?)

I know this was probably figured out a while ago, but I just wanted to confirm that the BCI blu-ray release was cancelled due to BCI's bankruptcy.

Even though I'm admittedly not a huge fan of Alexander Fu Sheng, it's disappointing that the blu-ray release of Life Gamble was cancelled, and that we currently only have 11* total Shaw Bros releases on blu-ray.

1. The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
  2. Five Deadly Venoms
  3. Brother's Five
  4. The Heroic Ones
  5. The Delightful Forest
  6. All Men Are Brothers
  7. Web of Death
  8. Deadly Duo
  9. Heroes Two
  10. Opium and the Kung Fu Master
  11. Five Element Ninjas*

Edit: forgot about Five Element Ninjas blu-ray

masterofoneinchpunch
I know this was probably figured out a while ago, but I just wanted to confirm that the BCI blu-ray release was cancelled due to BCI's bankruptcy.

Yes it is confirmed. I have the first one, but while I have heard of rumors on that release with a couple of copies out there it was officially cancelled.

thankyouforfu
there is also FIVE ELEMENT NINJA .

Ahhhh, thank you. Fixed.

I blame masterofoneinchpunch for not including it in his list of R1 releases :)

Yes it is confirmed. I have the first one, but while I have heard of rumors on that release with a couple of copies out there it was officially cancelled.

What do you mean you have the first one? Do you mean you have a copy of the Life Gamble DVD or a blu-ray copy??

masterofoneinchpunch
Ahhhh, thank you. Fixed.

I blame masterofoneinchpunch for not including it in his list of R1 releases :)

What do you mean you have the first one? Do you mean you have a copy of the Life Gamble DVD or a blu-ray copy??

Added the missing URL. Thanks for the mention.

I have a copy of the Life Gamble DVD (first release of that.)

Added the missing URL

The three Tokyo Shock Blu rays that came out did not have series numbers on them like the DVD's but the catalog numbers if you are interested are:

Deadly Duo TSBD 0965

Heroes Two TSBD 1006

Five Element Ninjas TSBD 1132

masterofoneinchpunch
The three Tokyo Shock Blu rays that came out did not have series numbers on them like the DVD's but the catalog numbers if you are interested are:

Deadly Duo TSBD 0965

Heroes Two TSBD 1006

Five Element Ninjas TSBD 1132

Good to know they did not have a series number on them. I will update the post.

Archived