All R1 Celestials...labels/titles/dates?

DrunkenMantis13

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterofoneinchpunch
Does anyone have any updated info on the delayed MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS release?

Last I heard (and you can find here on cityonfire) is that we expect to see an early 2012 release (though now I would think a few months into the year).

Last I heard (and you can find here on cityonfire) is that we expect to see an early 2012 release (though now I would think a few months into the year).

I cannot fully understand some r1 guys waiting certain movie(ok, dubsters maybe).If you already have IVL, getting bit improved r1 release hardly such a big deal...But if not own any release why torture himself waiting for r1 when there is r3 available?

Magnificent ruffians is magnificent indeed although i wonder why the hell they rejected girls helping them on baht:tongue:

Obviously there's only a few announced currently, that I'm aware of anyway. I just wondered which are the most glaringly obvious films people expect to see in the very near future, hopefully?

Obviously there's only a few announced currently, that I'm aware of anyway. I just wondered which are the most glaringly obvious films people expect to see in the very near future, hopefully?

Why was my thread moved here? This post is just going to get lost maybe garnering a couple of responses whereas a thread would keep all the discussion on this subject together:mad:

Why was my thread moved here? This post is just going to get lost maybe garnering a couple of responses whereas a thread would keep all the discussion on this subject together:mad:

Moderators do it sometimes also when start subject of film which done before...nothing wrong in that methinks

Moderators do it sometimes also when start subject of film which done before...nothing wrong in that methinks

Yes exactly I have no problem with that but mine was a separate subject to this thread. I was asking what are the most likely titles to appear in the future that haven't already been announced. Having already changed pages any potential responses are already diminished as It's not even on the last page any more .

masterofoneinchpunch
I cannot fully understand some r1 guys waiting certain movie(ok, dubsters maybe).If you already have IVL, getting bit improved r1 release hardly such a big deal...But if not own any release why torture himself waiting for r1 when there is r3 available?

Magnificent ruffians is magnificent indeed although i wonder why the hell they rejected girls helping them on baht:tongue:

Well some just have an R1 (non-hackable) player and/or will not do too much online buying. For late buyers sometimes the IVL gets harder to get.

Myself I just have so much to watch (I study film in general so I have a gargantuan amount of movies) and haven't bought an all-region player so I just keep track of the R1 releases, plus I'm just interested to see what is sold here in the states.

Well some just have an R1 (non-hackable) player and/or will not do too much online buying. For late buyers sometimes the IVL gets harder to get.

Add to that...NOT buying the R1 releases will lead to bad slaes totals, which in turn leads to less R1's being released at all.

Fans have to show support, or the releases will just dry up :|

masterofoneinchpunch
Add to that...NOT buying the R1 releases will lead to bad slaes totals, which in turn leads to less R1's being released at all.

Fans have to show support, or the releases will just dry up :|

Well I do show my support by buying them all :).

I'll add another small point: I also try to lend movies out and most everyone I know has only R1 players. I get quite a bit of joy of having positive reviews on Heroes of the East (both parents liked this one), The One-Armed Swordsman, etc... Spreading the word is good.

Well I do show my support by buying them all :).

I'll add another small point: I also try to lend movies out and most everyone I know has only R1 players. I get quite a bit of joy of having positive reviews on Heroes of the East (both parents liked this one), The One-Armed Swordsman, etc... Spreading the word is good.

See that's a problem for me with no one I know really interested in martial arts movies besides my mum who's really the only person who borrows my DVDs any more. Obviously being from the UK and having a multi-region player a lot of titles I have are region 1/3 which stops most people without access. I know a lot of these region 1 Shaw Brother movies have dubs but many movies don't(especially new region two releases) which has been a hindrance in the past, no matter how much you rave about particular film.

Another problem I've discovered is that I've become reluctant to lend discs when people don't look after them, returning them scratched/mark/smudged with fingerprints, cases broken or you never see them again.:mad: I take a great deal of effort to keep the disks clean and don't think it's too much effort for people to look after things that don't belong to them.:squigglemouth:

I do however try to spread the word on other forums as others have recommended titles to me I try to recommend movies to others, but often people are not enthusiastic enough in the genre to look into titles that aren't available outside of the UK.

I think one of the best things people could do to spread the word to those interested is creating reviews on places like Amazon, particularly on the UK site where a lot of these movies have very few reviews

I already own almost all shaw sword and kung fu movies but if american buyer and particularly if money tight and seeing items have forked out cash separately see in bargain packs, it would be fist to the wall time:(.

shaolinkng7

Every few months I check this thread to see if there are any new releases. Right now it seems that there are only 2 new releases in 2012, both from Well Go, and none of them my personal favorite Shaws I have been waiting for.

I see that Well Go has released Duel of Fists. I remember buying this one decades ago on VHS from Southgate mistakenly thinking it was Duel of the Iron Fist ( World Northal's US release title for The Duel, and one of the movies that got multiple airings on Black Belt Theater ). It turned out to be a different film when I got it home, but from the same director and with the same cast. I later realized that it was the first part of two films, the second being Angry Guest. While Duel of Fists was never shown on Black Belt Theater, Angry Guest was under World Northal's US release title Kung Fu Killers. Who knows why World Northal would syndicate the sequel and not the first film. The only notable thing about Angry Guest is that Chang Cheh cast himself as the big crime boss. Otherwise it is 20 minutes of actual plot and fights, and another 70 minutes of some of the worst padding I have ever seen in any HK film. Who could forget that gripping scene done in a long shot where we follow the car that Ti Lung and David Chiang are sitting in up and around a highway onramp for a good two minutes.

I am assuming that Duel of Fist and Angry Guest must have been shot simultaneously, and was possibly originally planned as a single feature before being split up and padded out into two separate features. Duel of Fist had far less padding, and was clearly the superior film. In brief, the plot had David Chiang going to Thailand at the request of his dying father to locate his half brother. David's half brother ( Ti Lung ) turns out to be a Thai Boxer, and from there the film goes into a typical tournament film with a crooked promoter.

Now for the WTF.

First off, Amazon lists this movie as Mandarin only. As I had said, Southgate released this film on VHS, and it was dubbed in English.

Second, Well Go is releasing this film as part of their Sword Masters series.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51VYuLEpeRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I may be mistaken, but I do not recall anyone in this movie picking up any swords. Possibly some hoods may have been armed with a knife or machete, but both David Chiang and Ti Lung portray characters who practice unarmed martial arts.

masterofoneinchpunch

Well there are a couple of combo versions that have come out this year as well.

I was hoping Brave Archer 2 would come out this year. Amazon still has it as a pre-order with no defined date. However, recent emails from a member on this board seem to state that they are not putting any Shaws out.

Ha, ha "Sword Masters". I think they just got lazy with the cover on that one. Now the Well Go site link states that it will have the English dub as well.

Does anyone know if any retailers are selling Duel of Fists or Swordsman & Enchantress?

Second, Well Go is releasing this film as part of their Sword Masters series.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51VYuLEpeRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I may be mistaken, but I do not recall anyone in this movie picking up any swords. Possibly some hoods may have been armed with a knife or machete, but both David Chiang and Ti Lung portray characters who practice unarmed martial arts.

Well to be fair isn't that Well Go's asian cinema line "label?" You can't expect them to change it for every release. :tongue:

shaolinkng7
Well there are a couple of combo versions that have come out this year as well.

That means they are still selling the movies, which is a good sign that they have not abandoned the idea of releasing Shaw Brothers movies, but still depressing when they release a combo instead of getting to one of their unreleased films. Double depressing when it is Dragon Dynasty who snatched up the release rights to most ( if not all ) of my favorite Shaw Brothers films.

I was hoping Brave Archer 2 would come out this year. Amazon still has it as a pre-order with no defined date. However, recent emails from a member on this board seem to state that they are not putting any Shaws out.

I would not worry too much about that. If Media Blasters decides not to release any more Shaw Brother movies they could easily sell the rest of what they have to another company. Hopefully not Dragon Dynasty. Well Go seems to be satisfied with releasing the not so well known Shaw Brother films, they would probably love to get their hands on some of the better known titles. Now on the other hand, the rest of the Zatoichi television series, that's something that could end up in limbo, just like #14 in the film series did.

Does anyone know if any retailers are selling Duel of Fists or Swordsman & Enchantress?

Best Buy has it, but that all depends on which store. If your local Best Buy does not have it then I suggest you order it online and have it shipped to your local Best Buy for an in store pickup. Saves you money on shipping.

Well to be fair isn't that Well Go's asian cinema line "label?" You can't expect them to change it for every release.

They better, unless they enjoy getting hundreds of returns. Some people only like swordplay films, and are only buying Duel of Fists because the box fooled them. They find out the movie is not about swordsmen and the disc gets returned to the store, who is obligated to take it back and give a full refund, who returns it as defective to Well Go, who then has to reimburse the store. Only a fraction of Asian cinema is swordplay. You got unarmed martial arts, horror & sci-fi, heroic bloodshed, and very annoying comedies. If Well Go is going to branch out beyond films with swordsmen then they are going to need to come up with more than one label.

It's the same as TOKYO Shock label releasing Shaw Brothers flicks...hardly Japanese movies.

Plus to be honest...(in the US at least) the store would be under NO obligation to return the movie. Most stores have an exchange for the SAME movie...ONLY if disc is defective (won't play)...NOT because the consumer didn't take the time to look into what the movies about (hell the description on the back should suffice...not to mention the name Duel of FIST...with a kickboxer on the cover) ;)

Seems a mite bit silly to get worked up over something so trivial.

shaolinkng7
It's the same as TOKYO Shock label releasing Shaw Brothers flicks...hardly Japanese movies.

Plus to be honest...(in the US at least) the store would be under NO obligation to return the movie. Most stores have an exchange for the SAME movie...ONLY if disc is defective (won't play)...NOT because the consumer didn't take the time to look into what the movies about (hell the description on the back should suffice...not to mention the name Duel of FIST...with a kickboxer on the cover) ;)

Seems a mite bit silly to get worked up over something so trivial.

In the United States all stores are obligated to accept a return for a full refund if the box is misleading. This would include claiming someone is the star of a film when they are only in it for a brief moment, lying about the genre ( such as claiming something is a comedy when it was clearly a drama ), including pictures on the box that are not actually from the movie ( such as showing what looks like an expensive special effect sequence from a different sci-fi film ), writing a description on the back of the box of a scene that does not occur in the film, lying about a film being letterboxed and lying about the print quality ( such as claiming it had been remastered and/or restored when it was clearly mastered from the same old VHS source. ) I remember returning a copy of Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires released by Star Classics to A&S because it was sourced from a television broadcast. A&S took the $5 tape back and gave me the full refund, tax and all. This is going back to 1988. I have returned many home videos since then. I returned the laserdisc of Painted Faces and God of Gamblers because both claimed to be letterboxed and were not. Through the mail, I returned a movie on VHS called Zatoichi the Blind Swordsman that was not about Zatoichi at all, and Ocean Shores gave me a full refund, even refunding shipping costs both ways. I have also returned home videos both VHS and DVD that were not martial arts related. Never had a problem.

The exchange for the same movie policy is only if the disc you bought was defective. But that is only if that single disc was defective. I bought a James Bond box set about a decade ago. Something was wrong with Man with the Golden Gun. It froze midway through the film. Got an exchange for the same disc and it froze in exactly the same scene. The store took back the disc and gave me a refund for the cost of the disc as a single. In other words, the box set had the discs at $10 a disc. Buying the films individually were $20. They refunded me $20. I pointed this mistake out to them and they said that is the way they had to do it. I made $10 on the deal. A couple of years later I bought The Man with the Golden Gun, now from a new batch with the flaw corrected, for $12.

This is not the first time Well Go had done this. I believe a year or two ago they released a Venom Mob film under the Sword Masters logo. I personally have no problem with this. Just saying that Well Go could lose money. There are a lot of buyers out there who are only interested in swordplay films. How much money they lose depends on how many buy the DVD without examining the box and/or researching the film. A store that gets one return could potentially return their entire stock. Potentially Best Buy or Target could return their entire stock if their legal department advises them to do so. It is just a silly mistake they made, releasing a kickboxing film as part of a swordplay series. The did not release Jackie Chan's 1911 under the Sword Masters series. Why market a kickboxing film to swordplay fans?

TOKYO Shock releasing a non-Japanese Shaw Brothers film, or for that matter Funimation releasing non-anime, is not exactly the same.

You are clearly trying to go apples and oranges here:

returns for BLATANT misinformation (note not ASSUMPTION from consumer)

Letterboxed bot not...reasonable

remastered but not...reasonable

Zatoichi (or saying WITH BRUCE LEE) but they aren't in said movie...reasonable

Trying to return a movie like Duel of the FISTS (notice the first dead givewaway) with a picture of Ti Lung as a KICKBOXER because you didn't take a whole 30 seconds to a minute to READ is IMO shady...at best.

Tokyo Shock releasing non-Japanese Shaw Brothers film is EXACTLY the same thing as you saying that Sword Masters is misleading (are the Shaw movies FROM Japan, is the language Japanese, are they set in Japan...hell do any have ANY/ALL Japanese cast?).

masterofoneinchpunch
...Tokyo Shock releasing non-Japanese Shaw Brothers film is EXACTLY the same thing as you saying that Sword Masters is misleading (are the Shaw movies FROM Japan, is the language Japanese, are they set in Japan...hell do any have ANY Japaenese cast?).

Well some difference, Tokyo Shock is a brand/label while "Sword Masters" is titular. However, it would be hilarious if someone tried to return a DVD stating "I was not shocked and this did not take place in Tokyo."

I'll check Best Buy Saturday for the two new films. If they are not there, I will get them online.

Well some difference, Tokyo Shock is a brand/label while "Sword Masters" is titular. However, it would be hilarious if someone tried to return a DVD stating "I was not shocked and this did not take place in Tokyo."

I'll check Best Buy Saturday for the two new films. If they are not there, I will get them online.

Semantics on the differences there...at best :wink:

Just left 2 Best Buy's up here...neither were carried at all...just the same old DD titles that have been on the shelf for ages. :\

masterofoneinchpunch
Semantics on the differences there...at best :wink:

Just left 2 Best Buy's up here...neither were carried at all...just the same old DD titles that have been on the shelf for ages. :\

Actually a pretty big difference. Tokyo Shock would have to create a sublabel, possibly losing many potential buyers who are familiar with their name but not the new name (they also have to trademark, register etc...). All Well Go would have to do is not put the dang title "Sword Masters" on there. Huge differences in costs between the two.

Now, maybe Tokyo Shock should have used a better name in the first place or created a different label earlier before Media Blasters had their financial difficulties.

Best Buy: dang it.

shaolinkng7

This is why modern retail sucks. Best Buy does have it. But their home video section is pathetically small. Not as pathetically small as the home video section of K-Mart or Target, but smaller than the average Tower Records ( R.I.P. ) home video section. If I was to rank the home video sections of retail stores, both past and present, they would go like this:

#1 Tower Records

#2 Virgin

#3 HMV

#4 Suncoast

#5 Circuit City

#6 Barnes & Noble

#7 Borders

#8 Best Buy

#9 ( Tie ) Sam Goody, f.y.e.

#10 ( Tie ) Blockbuster and just about any other major chain video rental store.

#11 Target

#12 ( Tie ) KMart, WallMart

#13 M*A*C*Y*S

#14 J C Penny

#15 Woolworth

Tower was the best, on average. Most Tower outlets had a sizable home video section, some even had an extra satellite store next door to the record store just for home videos. In Manhattan, the Tower Records on 4th Street and Broadway had two side outlets for home video, one for new releases and another full of overstock that were dirt cheep. Woolworth was never good for buying home videos. It amounted to five new releases kept inside the glass case next to the registers, and that bin near the front with the $5 - $10 budget videos. On the other hand, Woolworth never cataloged their stock. So when Embassy Home Video's release of Master Killer went out of print, and collectors snatched up every last copy in all the stores, a few years later I found a new factory sealed copy in the Woolworth bin on 3rd and 42nd. They had several boxes in the store room marked "videos" which had random VHS tapes they used to restock the bin when it began to get low.

Unless you have a good regional store with a sizable home video section ( Here in NYC that would be J&R on Park Row and Entertainment Outlet on 42nd ) then you are stuck with Best Buy. Since their home video section is, lets say medium sized, they do not have the shelf space to carry everything. It is up to each individual store manager to pick and choose which DVDs the regional depot sends over, and most of the time shelf space is hogged by too many copies of some new release. They do carry the Shaw Brothers releases, but it is hit or miss which titles will be available in any given store. I myself wait a few months and then order online. Instead of paying $17 or more for a DVD you end up paying $7. If it is a Shaw Brother movie I really love, then I will look for it in stores on it's release date. Otherwise I wait for the bargain. As I said, you can order it from the Best Buy website and send it to any of their stores for pickup. I am pretty sure you can even do this with a pre-order so that you can make sure that your local Best Buy has the DVD in stock on it's release date. But you have to be satisfied with whatever prices Best Buy offers. Here in NYC Entertainment Outlet offers the best prices for DVD releases. They do this by ordering their stock from Canada. I am not sure why that is legal, or why Canadian DVDs are cheaper, but that is how Entertainment Outlet has such great prices most of the time.

masterofoneinchpunch

The two new Well Go releases are added to the second post. Thank goodness there is something new coming out. Thanks for the mention Bobo.

Archived