All R1 Celestials...labels/titles/dates?

DrunkenMantis13

I have all of the DD and MB Shaws that have been released, and they all look great and have original mono tracks. So I'd say you can't go wrong!

Haven't actually seen the Well Gos yet, but everything I've read says they're mastered the same as the IVLs... although some claim they have better quality in regards to contrast and color. Can't comment on it myself.

As for avoiding the Images... well, it's a toss up. If you absolutely need the classic English dubs (which I think some may be missing), then get them. But if you already have the IVLs, then you already have better video transfers. So in short: English dub option or better video?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterofoneinchpunch
So I can't go wrong with these...?

The Brave Archer (MB)

Deadly Duo (MB)

Five Deadly Venoms (DD)

Five Element Ninjas (MB)

Heroes Two (MB)

One-Arm Swordsman (DD)

Any comments on Two Champions of Shaolin...?

Are these worth avoiding then...?

Disciples of Shaolin

Have Sword, Will Travel

Intimate Confessions

King Eagle

The Lizard

Legendary Weapons of China

The Magnificent Trio

Shaolin Intruders

The Water Margin

I've seen all of these (part of the reason I keep up the list in the second post); however, I watched these on a CRT so take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

The DD releases you mention are pretty good though the subtitles could definitely be improved (spelling mistakes, grammer). The MBs are great with the exception that The Master is non anamorphic.

Two Champions of Shaolin's biggest issue isn't the video, it is the audio (as with many of the Well Go releases). There is no mono and the 5.1 mix has the most annoying clanging, banging etc... It seems even more pronounced than (or about the same) as the early Fox/Fortune Star releases.

I agree with OldPangYau on the Image release. I'm happy to have them, they usually play fine on CRTs (there is one exception with The Bells of Death which is stretched on the CRT).

EDIT: forgot to mention that some releases of The Brave Archer (including mind) have a few spots where there is pixalization and video difficulties (this I believe was the main reason for the delay in the release).

Guest Markgway

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Good to know that those DD/MB titles are sound. I know that the subs are uneven. But what can you do?

Will avoid TWO CHAMPIONS as I can't abide remixes and it's not a must have title.

I don't care about English dubs so there's no reason for me to switch from IVL to Image - unless Image have included a mono track.

Any of these have original language mono?

Have Sword, Will Travel (M)

King Eagle (M)

The Magnificent Trio (M)

Shaolin Intruders ©

The Water Margin (M)

The Water Margin (M)

I do not care dubs either.Checked my "4 swords collection" and both are 2.0mandarin mono.

masterofoneinchpunch
Thanks for the responses, guys.

Good to know that those DD/MB titles are sound. I know that the subs are uneven. But what can you do?

Will avoid TWO CHAMPIONS as I can't abide remixes and it's not a must have title.

I don't care about English dubs so there's no reason for me to switch from IVL to Image - unless Image have included a mono track.

King Eagle (M)

The Magnificent Trio (M)

Shaolin Intruders ©

The Water Margin (M)

I do not care dubs either.Checked my "4 swords collection" and both are 2.0mandarin mono.

Late reply, but had to dig them out and have some time to check them out.

RE: The Magnificent Trio (M)

This has the mono. It also has English/Spanish subs, Original Trailer and 16 other Shaw trailers (though I don't think these are the originals, I have to look through them again).

RE: Shaolin Intruders ©

Actually the Image release has the Mandarin Mono and Mandarin 5.1. This also has a production stills gallery, 16 Shaw trailers, 13 other Asian trailers.

I still have not received my King Eagle yet (Deep Discount is so slow for California).

masterofoneinchpunch
I just want to say Thanks to 'masterofoneinchpunch'. Your original post is excellent.

Thanks, I've been keeping it up to date as well as buy everything that comes out :D (I still don't have Lost Souls yet though).

masterofoneinchpunch

King Eagle (M)

Sorry for the late, late reply.

After a reorder from DD and then receiving it over a month later after that reorder (this is not a first from that site to take over a month) ... This has Mandarin mono (then I looked it up on HKFLIX and a few other sites that said the same thing). It actually doesn't state that on the menu, but it sounds good. Now I only need Lost Souls from Image.

I love the visible door in the background of one set in King Eagle :). I don't think I've ever seen so many dead people move as in this film.

masterofoneinchpunch
Don't forget to add the Well Go Blu-Ray's! Do these have a date yet?

Added these three (with Amazon links on the first page):

Apr. 6, 2010: Brother's Five [blu-ray]

Apr. 6, 2010: The Heroic Ones [blu-ray]

Apr. 6, 2010: The Delightful Forest [blu-ray]

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I am so looking forward to november! Soul Of The Sword? I've been holding off checking my IVL version out for quite a while now. This is a great movie. Ku Feng is absolutely superb in this film. Ti Lung is disturbingly cold and one track minded here with a very unexpected end result to his relationship with the woman who loves him. Shaolin Rescuers is very endearing Venom's film with great stunt work involved. And last but not in the very least, SHAOLIN MANTIS! One of my all time favorite Shaws films, ever. Yes sa!!! What a great holiday season!

TripMasterMunky

This is the best thread ever. Thank you for the consistent updates. It's awesome that there's links for each one as well.

masterofoneinchpunch
This is the best thread ever. Thank you for the consistent updates. It's awesome that there's links for each one as well.

Thanks. When I get extra time I'm going to give the releases some extra info like language, english dub etc...

The Modesto Best Buy has pretty much stopped getting Dragon Dynasty now. They did not get 8 Diagram Pole Fighter (that store is getting worse and worse for DVDs; I wish this area had a Frys). For a town of 200+ thousand I don't think any of the stores get Shaw films when they first come out. I have to either online them or special order them (FYE does this and gives me discounts so that's OK except that they couldn't get All Men Are Brothers so I'll have to online that one).

Kennedy Il Sung

I was in best buy today and saw the Well-Go USA Blu ray releases of The Heroic Ones, The Delightful Forest, and Brothers Five were being sold in a pack together for just $24.99. I was unsure of where to post this so I though this was the best place.

masterofoneinchpunch
I was in best buy today and saw the Well-Go USA Blu ray releases of The Heroic Ones, The Delightful Forest, and Brothers Five were being sold in a pack together for just $24.99. I was unsure of where to post this so I though this was the best place.

I picked that up as well. I wasn't sure to post it in my list because it is just really the three films packaged together in a wrap and an additional paper holder. Best Buy has really been bad putting out the later Shaw Brothers releases though (even in BD).

Hi. For the Well Go combo releases, can anyone comment on how they were packaged?

Thanks

Combo release:

April 7, 2009: Shaw Brothers Collection (The Heroic Ones, The Battle Wizard, The Duel of the Century and Two Champions of Shaolin)

Aug. 25, 2009: Shaw Brothers Collection II (Brothers Five, Brave Archer and His Mate, Holy Flame of the Martial World, Journey of the Doomed)

Nov. 17, 2009: Shaw Brothers Metal Tin: Epic Heroes (4 DVDs and T-Shirt Offer) (Heroes Shed No Tears, The Heroic Ones, The Delightful Forest, Two Champions of Shaolin)

I know the second one (with Journey of the Doomed) is slim cases. I haven't personally seen any of them, but I asked on the forum a couple months ago and that's what I found out. They may all be slim cases.

masterofoneinchpunch
Hi. For the Well Go combo releases, can anyone comment on how they were packaged?

Thanks

Combo release:

April 7, 2009: Shaw Brothers Collection (The Heroic Ones, The Battle Wizard, The Duel of the Century and Two Champions of Shaolin)

Aug. 25, 2009: Shaw Brothers Collection II (Brothers Five, Brave Archer and His Mate, Holy Flame of the Martial World, Journey of the Doomed)

Nov. 17, 2009: Shaw Brothers Metal Tin: Epic Heroes (4 DVDs and T-Shirt Offer) (Heroes Shed No Tears, The Heroic Ones, The Delightful Forest, Two Champions of Shaolin)

First two are slim cases. I saw both at Best Buy (when BB used to sell MA movies :D). Double checked a few other sites to make my memory wasn't fuzzy.

The Metal Tin is kind of a funky design. Both sides open (two on each, kind of hard to explain). This site has a nice picture of it: http://www.kungfucinema.com/well-gos-epic-heroes-shaw-bros-set-10864

Hi. For the Funimation releases, did all their releases have slipcovers? Or did they stopped after a certain title?

I was at a local store which doesn't seem to move many martial arts dvds and saw "The Sword of Swords" that didn't have one.

Thanks

masterofoneinchpunch
Hi. For the Funimation releases, did all their releases have slipcovers? Or did they stopped after a certain title?

I was at a local store which doesn't seem to move many martial arts dvds and saw "The Sword of Swords" that didn't have one.

Thanks

I did not get one for Soul of the Sword, everything before has one, I believe (I'll double check tonight). I just ordered Shaolin Rescuers (which came out the same day so I'll check that when it comes in).

Double checked -- no slipcase. I'll complain again that FYE doesn't get much of any of the new Shaw Brothers releases.

Hmm, interesting... I didn't get a slipcase for SOUL OF THE SWORD either, nor for SHAOLIN RESCUERS. Looks like they scrapped the slipcases, right? Still waiting for my two BASTARD SWORDSMAN discs though. So SWORD OF SWORDS is out already...? Thought it was delayed. Does anybody know if SUPREME SWORDSMAN has one?

my SUPREME SWORDSMAN comes in today, and no slip case. Cheap ass Funimation. Looks like they let go of the slipcase from the release of Shaolin Rescuers

Archived