All R1 Celestials...labels/titles/dates?

DrunkenMantis13

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DrunkenMantis13

Thanks a lot for keeping this up to date, masterofoneinchpunch! Very useful for me (and others i'm sure).

I noticed you ask if anyone has the Life Gamble Blu-Ray...i was also wondering the same. I easily got myself a copy of the Opium BD but can't find the Life Gamble one at all. I've been looking everywhere for a while too, even checking on eBay every few days. No luck. So does it exists at all or can i stop looking for it?

If it exists, anyone willing to get rid of theirs/have a spare one? I'm seriously willing to pay twice what it costs...

I really don't think they ever got the blu-ray out. There were a other things, like flicks with kicks 2, that were advertised but never released by BCI.

littlefuzzy

masterofoneinchpunch, I noticed a couple of things on the list:

You have Bats Without Wings (Image,) while the amazon link (and cover art) say Bat Without Wings.

Also, Holy Flame of the Martial World (Well-Go) shows a September 1st release at Amazon (DVDAF still shows May 12th, but no retailers show it in stock.)

masterofoneinchpunch
I really don't think they ever got the blu-ray out. There were a other things, like flicks with kicks 2, that were advertised but never released by BCI.

I'm hoping that a few got out there, but I will keep that notice on there for a few more months just in case some sneaked out.

masterofoneinchpunch, I noticed a couple of things on the list:

You have Bats Without Wings (Image,) while the amazon link (and cover art) say Bat Without Wings.

Also, Holy Flame of the Martial World (Well-Go) shows a September 1st release at Amazon (DVDAF still shows May 12th, but no retailers show it in stock.)

Now that's good detail :D. I fixed Bat Without Wings (influenced by Gene Simmons of course), changed the date on Holy Flame and added the Amazon link to King Eagle. Thanks for the notice littlefuzzy. I haven't got the last few batches partially because Best Buy has not been carrying them. I have 44 of those R1 releases (all but the last few).

littlefuzzy

I noticed FYE/Wherehouse Music had quite a few... I saw a couple of the Well Go titles there, and they had nice slipcovers. I hadn't known that. Does anyone know if the box set from Well Go includes the slipcovers?

masterofoneinchpunch, Best Buy just doesn't seem to cut it anymore, especially for complete runs. You may need to order online to fill in those last few (especially since the prices would probably be a bit cheaper.)

I haven't made it out to Suncoast yet, I tried the other day, and the one I went to had been closed for about a year! :S The other one I know of is quite a bit further away, but should still be open, I hope...

masterofoneinchpunch
I noticed FYE/Wherehouse Music had quite a few... I saw a couple of the Well Go titles there, and they had nice slipcovers. I hadn't known that. Does anyone know if the box set from Well Go includes the slipcovers?

masterofoneinchpunch, Best Buy just doesn't seem to cut it anymore, especially for complete runs. You may need to order online to fill in those last few (especially since the prices would probably be a bit cheaper.)

I haven't made it out to Suncoast yet, I tried the other day, and the one I went to had been closed for about a year! :S The other one I know of is quite a bit further away, but should still be open, I hope...

The well go box set they do set at Best Buy :D (I only need one movie out of that set though damn Best Buy). They are the slim cases so there are no slipcovers.

The two Modesto FYEs have not been carrying many of the new Shaw Brothers films unfortunately. It is going to be Deep Discount for me.

littlefuzzy

With the DD 25% off sale, I ordered the last two Dragon Dynasty Shaws I was missing, and decided to grab the two BCIs and fill in the gaps on the Media Blasters and Well-Go titles as well!

13 titles total! Me, seeing the bill -> :laluot_17: Hellloooo, PB&J sammiches!

Obviously, I don't think I'll be getting any more for a while, but when I do decide to pick up some more, which of the Image titles should I grab first?

masterofoneinchpunch
With the DD 25% off sale, I ordered the last two Dragon Dynasty Shaws I was missing, and decided to grab the two BCIs and fill in the gaps on the Media Blasters and Well-Go titles as well!

13 titles total! Me, seeing the bill ->

Obviously, I don't think I'll be getting any more for a while, but when I do decide to pick up some more, which of the Image titles should I grab first?

Well if you can't get them all:

I love Legendary Weapons Of China, Have Sword, Will Travel, Shaolin Intruders, The Magic Blade, Human Lanterns.

Most are worth watching. If you like gore The Boxer's Omen is quite good (as well as Human Lanterns). I also liked Super Inframan for its rarity as a super hero Shaw film (think Ultraman :D).

Some like The Cave of the Silken Web, Bat Without Wings and House of Traps have enough issues to put them as later purchases.

I have not seen The Magnificent Trio, Seeding of a Ghost and Lost Souls yet (the last two I will probably watch them in October). The rest I've seen.

master, thanks for the list as I use it for reference all the time and to remind me what has come out. would it be too much trouble to add an * or any other indication for those that have english dubs? really more from those from Image and Well Go ones. I know some of the Image have dubs but are not listed in the back of the dvd. thanks.

masterofoneinchpunch
master, thanks for the list as I use it for reference all the time and to remind me what has come out. would it be too much trouble to add an * or any other indication for those that have english dubs? really more from those from Image and Well Go ones. I know some of the Image have dubs but are not listed in the back of the dvd. thanks.

I'll look into checking all the DVDs personally (if there is not a list that already has this) in the near future (when I organize all the Shaw's that I have together). I've just never been that interested in the English dubs though.

I'll look into checking all the DVDs personally (if there is not a list that already has this) in the near future (when I organize all the Shaw's that I have together). I've just never been that interested in the English dubs though.

me neither really but I already own the celestial releases so it would be the one thing besides better image that might push me to get the R1s. thanks.

littlefuzzy

Some like The Cave of the Silken Web, Bat Without Wings and House of Traps have enough issues to put them as later purchases.

What kind of issues? Actually, House of Traps is the single Shaw from Image that I own, and I didn't notice any problems with it. I enjoyed the movie, and picture, sound, subtitles, etc., seemed to be fine. Of course, I think I watched it on a laptop, maybe something is more apparent on a HD big screen.

masterofoneinchpunch
What kind of issues? Actually, House of Traps is the single Shaw from Image that I own, and I didn't notice any problems with it. I enjoyed the movie, and picture, sound, subtitles, etc., seemed to be fine. Of course, I think I watched it on a laptop, maybe something is more apparent on a HD big screen.

Oops I should have been more specific. I meant plot issues not technical issues. I usually think in terms of the movie first then way down the line the DVD details (which I'm normally specific if there is an issue). The Image Shaws have had some problems like Bells of Death doesn't quite look right on CRTs though older TVs don't show the interlacing issues like those darn new fangled thingamabobies.

DrunkenMantis13

I haven't been following the new releases all that much but i know some new titles are out with plenty of fixed dates for upcoming dates from some of the 4 R1 labels.

And i'm really using this thread to follow what i have/want to buy, so Master...could you when you have time bring an update in here?

Much appreciated!

I really wish that BCI could have released Life Gamble on Blu-Ray before they went away. I'm glad to have Opium and the Kung Fu Master on Blu-Ray.

masterofoneinchpunch
I haven't been following the new releases all that much but i know some new titles are out with plenty of fixed dates for upcoming dates from some of the 4 R1 labels.

And i'm really using this thread to follow what i have/want to buy, so Master...could you when you have time bring an update in here?

Much appreciated!

Modified number on The Flag of Iron (actually had this at Best Buy).

Modified date and link on Disciples of Shaolin.

Added Kid with the Golden Arm.

I do not see anything new for DD, Image (checked their web site), BCI (of course).

Am I missing something for Well Go? There site drives me crazy and DVDAF doesn't list anything new. They are coming out with Kung Fu's Ultimate Warriors Nov 17 but I do not see any titles with it so far.

Masterofoneinchpunch, I noticed that Media Blasters - June 16, 2009: Black Magic 2 (8?) still had the ? on the number. I presume you just missed it, but in case you want to verify it, my copy DOES have 8 as the spine number.

I just looked at Well Go's site, and I don't like the fact that it uses flash. I've run into enough problems using flash on various sites that I frown on it. Of course, I'm using a 10-year-old computer... But still, I'd rather see a simple catalog that shows everything, rather than "flashy" (pun intended) 3d-pictures, etc., that take forever to navigate through.

Hey Just curious: So are the images the only company on this list that has the transferr (pal ntsc) issues like iVL? and all the other tokyo shock, well, dd etc all have no transfer/ speed issues and are straight from the HD master?

Hey Just curious: So are the images the only company on this list that has the transferr (pal ntsc) issues like iVL? and all the other tokyo shock, well, dd etc all have no transfer/ speed issues and are straight from the HD master?

Nope... let me see if I can jump in real quick to split these up into different groups:

Media Blasters and Dragon Dynasty: These Shaw Bros releases contain perfect 24 frame per second progressive scan transfers (well, only one MB is interlaced, but still proper NTSC), matching the original projected film speed as shown in theaters. In short, they're the best looking.

Well Go: From everything I've read, these are basically the same as the IVLs: 30 frame per second NTSC interlaced transfers of PAL masters. So you basically get the classic "double interlacing" issue present on IVL releases. But most people don't really mind it.

Image Entertainment: Well, to quote/paraphrase Jeff Foxworthy (not something I do often), "there's no way of describing this without the word 'cluster' in it." Image takes those same PAL-to-NTSC interlaced transfers and "speed corrects" them to match the original 24 frame per second film speed... but still interlaced. So what you have here is a slowed down interlaced transfer of an already semi-faulty PAL-to-NTSC interlaced transfer. This seems to create sort of a "triple interlace" disaster. And they have yet to learn from their mistakes, from everything I've read.

All this being said, you pretty much can't go wrong with the Media Blasters and Dragon Dynasty SB DVDs in regards to A/V quality... but of course, DD will probably no longer release SB DVDs at this rate. Oh well, on the other hand, we have at least eleven more Media Blasters SB DVDs to look forward to for the next couple of years! Oh yeah, and apparently some blu-rays too :wink:

Guest Markgway
Media Blasters and Dragon Dynasty: These Shaw Bros releases contain perfect 24 frame per second progressive scan transfers (well, only one MB is interlaced, but still proper NTSC), matching the original projected film speed as shown in theaters. In short, they're the best looking.

So I can't go wrong with these...?

The Brave Archer (MB)

Deadly Duo (MB)

Five Deadly Venoms (DD)

Five Element Ninjas (MB)

Heroes Two (MB)

One-Arm Swordsman (DD)

Well Go: From everything I've read, these are basically the same as the IVLs: 30 frame per second NTSC interlaced transfers of PAL masters. So you basically get the classic "double interlacing" issue present on IVL releases. But most people don't really mind it.

Any comments on Two Champions of Shaolin...?

Image Entertainment: Well, to quote/paraphrase Jeff Foxworthy (not something I do often), "there's no way of describing this without the word 'cluster' in it." Image takes those same PAL-to-NTSC interlaced transfers and "speed corrects" them to match the original 24 frame per second film speed... but still interlaced. So what you have here is a slowed down interlaced transfer of an already semi-faulty PAL-to-NTSC interlaced transfer. This seems to create sort of a "triple interlace" disaster. And they have yet to learn from their mistakes, from everything I've read.

Are these worth avoiding then...?

Disciples of Shaolin

Have Sword, Will Travel

Intimate Confessions

King Eagle

The Lizard

Legendary Weapons of China

The Magnificent Trio

Shaolin Intruders

The Water Margin

Archived