Difference between Chinese and Korean made movies

ching li

Some of you guys it seems can tell right off the bat what is a Korean productions or Hong kong production. I've always wondered how you all can tell the difference? Is it the actors, the sets, the costumes, etc.?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually, I can tell by the actors, locations and production values (some Korean films seem to have crappy production values compared to the shoddiest of Chinese made films). The choreography can sometimes give it away as well.

I distinguish by the cultural hints within the movie. Their facial structure, the clothing, the street signs, the way of greetings,... The biggest give away: Hong Kong people drive on the left side.

Chinatown Kid

Usually in the Korean films the actors kick really well because they are skilled in TKD but the productions look really cheap and the acting is cheesy. The Kung Fu usually doesn't look authentic either, not like you would see in a HK production with someone like Master Lau.

Chinatown Kid

Don't forget those outrageous fashions like you see in Hwang Jang Lee's AssoAsian films like Hard Bastard either, hee hee....:D

One thing I do noticed about Korean kung fu movies, it's seems the color of their costumes are very, very bright. Like a bright red, orange, blue, etc. Also there is always a waterboy or water carrier, you hardly ever see that in hong kong productions.

I like the modern day Korean films with the pimped out gangster 70's fashion. They got the long coats and the turtlenecks cause it's colder in Korea and there still fighting all balls out.

The first give-away is in the clothing. Traditional korean clothing is different from the kind seen in the old chinese martial arts movies; the traditional hat they like to wear stands out the most:

korean_hats_1_md.gif

The second give away is in the setting. There's a good chance that 70's films with snowy landscapes, mountains, or anything that doesn't seem similar to the same old fields we're used to seeing in the old Taiwanese/HK filcks were at least Korean co-productions.

But the biggest give away is in the action choreography. Korean choreography is all centered around the kicks. The punches, open handed attacks, flips, etc are just a figment of your imagination that exist solely to set up the next flying roundhouse kick. Sorry, but I just got kicked five times in the face writing this.

Archived