Re-Writing History...

Jesse Smooth

I'm kinda looking forward to seeing the new film with Sho Kosugi, (I think it's called Ninja Assassins?). I didn't get to see his films in the theaters when he was in his prime, but by seeing recent photos, he's still in fighting shape. I wonder had he been The American Ninja instead of Dudikoff, would the AN films themselves be any better (quality wise). Imagine seeing Kosugi and Steve James take on bad guys...

Seriously, just looking at various clips, Sho WAS the action star of the 80s. Kinda sad tht he didn't go as far as he could have (I'd say the same thing about Taimak).

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
silver hermit

i would have loved to see sho do a movie in HK in the late 80's or early 90's and face off with kurata. new wave ninjas with robert tai as the director. if i could change history i would have had him do films in HK instead of the US. too much unions and insurance companies involved in US films for my liking.

Chinatown Kid

I always liked Sho, my favorite of his was Revenge of the Ninja which also featured Keith Vitale. He was also great as the evil Ninja Okasa in The Master tv series starring Lee Van Cleef. Loved that Ninja costume he wore with the silver chains over the mask. His sons are really talented as well.....

TibetanWhiteCrane

I think Kosugi was a pretty poor screen fighter, whatever his real martial background is! But I did like some of the ninja flicks though... but purely as 80's cheese! And I still haven't gotten over how mindnumbingly bad 9 Deaths of the Ninja was. It still haunts me!

silver hermit

does anyone else remember the little skits sho performed during ninja theater? his fights looked pretty damn good in those. if anyone has any of those tapes they should youtube them for educational purposes.

Did he ever do any legit "classic" films? Like in the vein of Chiba or Sanada's stuff(Yagyu Conspiracy, Kage No Gundan, etc) or did he only do US Ninja exploitation type movies?

Did he ever do any legit "classic" films? Like in the vein of Chiba or Sanada's stuff(Yagyu Conspiracy, Kage No Gundan, etc) or did he only do US Ninja exploitation type movies?

To my knowledge, all the stuff he did was mainly US action films. Though I think he might have done some choreography on a few modern Japanese films. I would have to do research to find out for sure.

One of his last Hollywood films was a period film called Journey of Honor. He would go to Japan, where he started up his SKI schools, directed elder son Kane in The Fighting King films, and even fought Kane on the Super Sentai series Ninja Sentai Kakuranger (Kane played NinjaBlack Jiraiya, even though he was doubled in the suit by future Godzilla suit actor Tsutomu Kitagawa).

Then his fateful estrangement from his son Kane. His other son, Shane, still continues to work alongside Sho as one of the leaders of the Ninja Taiko group.

Archived