favorite "girls with guns star?"

silver hermit

silver hermit

what queen of kick a$$ rules the jade screen?? there is so many different things we could judge this on. martial arts, filmography but acting is not one of them. by no means is this ment to be the be all end all list. just my opinion on what i have seen. i know i opinion might change each time i watch one of their films.

IMO it goes like this

1. yukari oshima- the japanese buzzsaw aka the japanese queen of mean her martial arts skills are the real deal and she does most of her stunts. i could have watched her over and over and never get bored. her brutality is a thing of beauty. her only fault is she should have gone to a dentist. i feel if she was an HK resident she would a lot more big things but i hear her attitude towards others had something to do with it as well.

2. kara hui aka auntie- representing the old school she is no stranger to doing stunts and her on screen fighting is first rate. speed, power and grace are her trademarks. she has done it all even playboy now who else on this list can say that? she could have well been my#1 but was out kicked by yukari by a toe

3. moon lee- her martial arts was learned on set you can see her get better and better as her career went on. she was such a hard worker and fearless on set she gained the respect from her peers the hard way. that earned her the reputation of pound for pound one of the toughest man or woman of the new wave era.

4. sharron yeung pan pan- the old school represents again. she didn't make too many new wave films but her abilliy was undeniable. there wasn't a fight scene or stunt she would pass up. she was a hard worker and not a diva on set and was lucky enough to get into producing films and thats a testament to how she got along with others.

5.to gwai fa- its so easy for her to fly under the radar. her films are not well distributed or big budget but if your lucky enough to see her let off some moves its a thing of beauty and POWER! if this list was just about martial arts she might rank as high as #2 on my list perhaps even higher. but i admit i need to see more from her.

6. michiko nishiwaki- a champion body builder and karate expert when given a chance to shine her moves were the definition of power and grace. like yukari she seems a victim of being from outside of HK. they starved while wantabees like sibelle hu got meaty roles.

7. cynthia rockrock- martial arts champion when teammed with top choreographers such as sammo hung or yuen kwai she looked unstoppable but outside of that not so impressive but there is no way to deny she is a top martial artist. her heart didn't seem to be in HK productions and seemed to be focused on the bright lights of hollywood and she achieved B-movie status there. but when she looks back at her career i'm sure she will agree with me and say her work wasn't done in HK and she had a lot more to do but will never get the chance to.

8. michelle khan- as a former beauty queen and dancer she had the tools to be an HK action icon as she later became the standard all that followed would be measured against. she might very well have the best filmography out of everyone on this list but i could only imagine what each would do in her place as bigger budgets produce better results. in any event she was fearless on set and was a hard worker and gave us some of the most memorable stunts in HK films. who else has or can go toe to toe with jackie chan on screen and still shine?

9. kim maree penn- i don't know where they got this chick but she has put in some of the most impressive performances on screen. she never worked with the yuen kwai's or the sammo's but she did a few films with frankie chan and i could only imagine her working with yuen kwai my dream production would be everyone on this list in a movie co-directed by sammo hung and yuen kwai. with a huge budget and no time frame. i am confident that kim penn would shine as much as anyone in it.

10. cynthia khan- this taiwanese beauty came out of nowhere and took off pretty much where michelle khan left off. she gave us hits like the in the line of duty series and queens high. she put in some decent performances martial arts wise but her moves looked a bit too dancer like. but she worked hard and got better and better each time out. she was doubled a lot but she never gave us memorable stunts like michelle khan.

honorable mention goes to karen sheppard- her toe to toe battles with cynthia rochrock and moon lee are very hard to ignore

let the debate begin :D

• Like 2

thundered mantis

Silver hermit you got all corners pretty well covered here!

For me it´s Yukari all the way, too fast, accurate and crisp powerful. She has the looks and the fierceness, superb. Would love to hear stories about her character, and her relationship with Ko Fei. Are they divorced? Did they had children? It beats to me why she didn´t arrange that tooth, it would´ve been easy, and she´s quite pretty.

After her, second level, I´d go for Sharon Yeung ´cause of her superb classic background and her acrobatic ability. It´s a pity she didn´t quite made it on the GWG era. To Gwa Fai´s got great abilities, but lacks a bit on grace and charisma, and Moon Lee and Kara Hui got loads of both. Been dancers, they have flexibility and rythm for the choreo. Kim Penn is so great she´s got the whole package.

On a third level, Michelle Yeoh and Rothrock. Would give the edge to Yeoh, I think, for stunts.

Nishiwaki and Kahn on fourth level.

A pity that girl from Treasure Hunters didn´t made much on GWG, she was soo great, and young enough.

• Like 2

I think Joyce Godenzi deserves to be mentioned, she was a skillful fighter under Sammo's directed, granted, he could make anyone look good but she had presence, was attractive, her fight against Agnes Aurelio is the stuff of legend, she went toe to toe with Agnes, Joyce also had some great fights in License to Steal against Billy Chow and Agnes again.

Other than that, your list is solid, Yukari has presence to spare, her fighting skills are brilliant, Moon was a terrific fighter, she was also an underrated comic performer.

• Like 2

what queen of kick a$$ rules the jade screen?? there is so many different things we could judge this on. martial arts, filmography but acting is not one of them. by no means is this ment to be the be all end all list. just my opinion on what i have seen. i know i opinion might change each time i watch one of their films.

IMO it goes like this

1. yukari oshima- the japanese buzzsaw aka the japanese queen of mean her martial arts skills are the real deal and she does most of her stunts. i could have watched her over and over and never get bored. her brutality is a thing of beauty. her only fault is she should have gone to a dentist. i feel if she was an HK resident she would a lot more big things but i hear her attitude towards others had something to do with it as well.

2. kara hui aka auntie- representing the old school she is no stranger to doing stunts and her on screen fighting is first rate. speed, power and grace are her trademarks. she has done it all even playboy now who else on this list can say that? she could have well been my#1 but was out kicked by yukari by a toe

3. moon lee- her martial arts was learned on set you can see her get better and better as her career went on. she was such a hard worker and fearless on set she gained the respect from her peers the hard way. that earned her the reputation of pound for pound one of the toughest man or woman of the new wave era.

4. sharron yeung pan pan- the old school represents again. she didn't make too many new wave films but her abilliy was undeniable. there wasn't a fight scene or stunt she would pass up. she was a hard worker and not a diva on set and was lucky enough to get into producing films and thats a testament to how she got along with others.

5.to gwai fa- its so easy for her to fly under the radar. her films are not well distributed or big budget but if your lucky enough to see her let off some moves its a thing of beauty and POWER! if this list was just about martial arts she might rank as high as #2 on my list perhaps even higher. but i admit i need to see more from her.

6. michiko nishiwaki- a champion body builder and karate expert when given a chance to shine her moves were the definition of power and grace. like yukari she seems a victim of being from outside of HK. they starved while wantabees like sibelle hu got meaty roles.

7. cynthia rockrock- martial arts champion when teammed with top choreographers such as sammo hung or yuen kwai she looked unstoppable but outside of that not so impressive but there is no way to deny she is a top martial artist. her heart didn't seem to be in HK productions and seemed to be focused on the bright lights of hollywood and she achieved B-movie status there. but when she looks back at her career i'm sure she will agree with me and say her work wasn't done in HK and she had a lot more to do but will never get the chance to.

9. kim maree penn- i don't know where they got this chick but she has put in some of the most impressive performances on screen. she never worked with the yuen kwai's or the sammo's but she did a few films with frankie chan and i could only imagine her working with yuen kwai my dream production would be everyone on this list in a movie co-directed by sammo hung and yuen kwai. with a huge budget and no time frame. i am confident that kim penn would shine as much as anyone in it.

10. cynthia khan- this taiwanese beauty came out of nowhere and took off pretty much where michelle khan left off. she gave us hits like the in the line of duty series and queens high. she put in some decent performances martial arts wise but her moves looked a bit too dancer like. but she worked hard and got better and better each time out. she was doubled a lot but she never gave us memorable stunts like michelle khan.

honorable mention goes to karen sheppard- her toe to toe battles with cynthia rochrock and moon lee are very hard to ignore

let the debate begin :D

SH any chance of recommending 3 0r 4 of each of these girls best flicks?

• Like 1

silver hermit
I think Joyce Godenzi deserves to be mentioned, she was a skillful fighter under Sammo's directed, granted, he could make anyone look good but she had presence, was attractive, her fight against Agnes Aurelio is the stuff of legend, she went toe to toe with Agnes, Joyce also had some great fights in License to Steal against Billy Chow and Agnes again.

Other than that, your list is solid, Yukari has presence to spare, her fighting skills are brilliant, Moon was a terrific fighter, she was also an underrated comic performer.

i agree joyce godenzi deserves a spot in the conversation for sure!!!

i'll throw Fujimi Nadeki in for an honorable mention for her battle vs moon lee in killer angels and the couple of movies she did with to gwai fa

i'll list my favorite flicks a bit later i want to give every one else a chance to get in on the action graeme noble back me up here :D

• Like 2

odioustrident

I have to say that if Yukari Oshima was not doubled for most of her work in Book of Heroes, then she is definitely the most versatile of the girls with guns stars. Her acrobatics are a cut above everyone else and her kicks can be pretty good.

• Like 3

silver hermit

check out these films but i'm sure others can add to the list

1. yukari oshima- A Book of Heroes, The Millionaires' Express, Angel, Final Run, Burning Ambition, Close Escape, The Outlaw Brothers, Dreaming the Reality, Godfather's Daughter Mafia Blues,Kickboxer's Tears, Story of Ricki, Angel Terminators 2, Beauty Investigator,Drugs Fighters

2. kara hui aka auntie-Naughty Boys,Rosa, The Inspector Wears Skirts, The Dragon Family, Burning Ambition, Bullet to Survive, Widow Warriors, The Real Me ,Angel Terminators

3. moon lee- Angel 1,2 and 3, Killing Angels, The Nocturnal Demon, New Kids in Town, Fatal Termination, The Revenge of Angel, Dreaming the Reality, Bury Me High, Kickboxer's Tears, Beauty Investigator, Angel's Project ,A Serious Shock! Yes Madam!, Angel Terminators 2

4. sharron yeung pan pan-Princess Madam, Angel Terminators, The Way of the Lady Boxers, Deadly Target, Angel on Fire

5.to gwai fa-Fury in Red, All Mighty Gambler, The Plot, Lady Killer, Angel of Vengeance

6. michiko nishiwaki-In the Line of Duty III, Princess Madam, City Cops, The Outlaw Brothers, Widow Warriors, The Dragon Fighter, The Real Me, Hero Dream, Passionate Killing in the Dream, Angel Terminators

7. cynthia rockrock- Yes, Madam!, Righting Wrongs, Magic Crystal, The Millionaires' Express, The Inspector Wears Skirts, City Cops, The Blonde Fury

8. michelle khan- Yes, Madam!, Royal Warriors AKA In the Line of Duty, Magnificent Warriors, Police Story III Super Cop

9. kim maree penn- Live Hard, Middle Man ,Fun And Fury, Police Story III Super Cop, Oh! Yes Sir!!!, How to Meet the Lucky Stars, The Death Games, Black City

10. cynthia khan- In the Line of Duty III, In the Line of Duty 4, Middle Man, Tiger Cage II, Sea Wolves, Queen's High, Forbidden Arsenal, A Serious Shock! Yes Madam!, Blade of Fury

• Like 2

silver hermit

another honorable mention goes out to elaine liu for the angels series, innocent interloper, stone age warriors and for her toe to toe battle with yukari oshima in spiritualy a cop

• Like 2

silver hermit

oh cool, thanks for that link. she still looks damn good and its interesting to see what these ex-stars are doing now. according to that website she seems to have re-located to LA. someone needs to interview her ASAP her story needs to be told she has a lot of fans out here.

• Like 2

Cynthia is my fave just for Above the Law if nothing else. I have a soft spot for Sibelle Hu, she lovely. Pretty good in Inspector Wears Skirts too

• Like 2

i'll throw Fujimi Nadeki in for an honorable mention for her battle vs moon lee in killer angels and the couple of movies she did with to gwai fa

She also was good in Crystal Hunt (as Donnie Yen's girlfriend) IMO

• Like 1

silver hermit

big up rrden for this one

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXp-xEiaol4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXp-xEiaol4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

silver hermit

out of all of them on my list michelle yeoh is the best actress. moon lee i would say had the most juicy roles out of the 3 you mention and that is a big factor in their body of work. yukari is an under rated comic actor as well just check out the big deal. moon and yukari had me laughing out loud. but i would say yukari's best acting role was in Iron Angels. other than that the roles she played were typical.

• Like 3

wrewdedededewdedewdedwed

I really liked Moon Lee. She's really cute but that the same time you know she can kick your ass anytime. The funny thing is, I couldn't remember most of the shows she was in. A pity her acting lacked chops, that might just have made her a bigger star.

• Like 2

My favorite girls with guns star and the woman that really got me interested into girls with guns is Yukari Oshima it is a shame she didn't get bigger and better roles that she deserved she had the talent to play a great villain or a great hero and also I always think what could've been had she gotten bigger roles like what if there was a movie with her as the main villain and she faced off against Jackie Chan I assumed it would be quite the fight between the 2 of them had it happened in one of Jackie's earlier movies or a completely new movie involving both or even having her as the partner to Jackie Chan in a movie Yukari had the talent to play either role and my 2nd favorite is Cynthia Khan she looked great in In the Line of Duty 3 and 4 another girls with guns star who I thought deserved bigger and better roles and despite filmmakers opinions during her movie career I thought Yukari was a  beautiful woman who should have been cast more to do bigger and better roles with more screentime for her and her skills and I do wonder how her career would have gone if she never did most of the Phillip Ko movies except Angel Mission

Edited by actionfan93
  • Like 3

Moon is my fave, hands down. She had everything - cute looks, decent skills, lots of well choreographed fights and she was really fearless

Some actresses were better skilled(Yukari, for example), but nobody has the same full package

Although I really love them all, being a huge fan of GWG genre

Off-topic. I just LOVE Tai Seng ad for Yukari's series. Watched it dozens of times and know it word for word. If somebody hasn't seen it yet, here it is:

[youtube]K-kv1DwHDac[/youtube]
  • Like 4

The OP has assembled a great list. So many different styles and such a multi-national diverse group too. Not really much to add to that list but one that gets an "honorary mention" from me is Taiwanese actress, Lin Hsiao-lu. She hasn't been in many films that would even be "loosely" classified as GWG genre & she's never headlined (Thunder Cops II, Emergency Police Lady, The War Dogs) in those movies but she shows such great fighting spirit in her limited roles. Maybe I'm just biased because I just adore her in her early roles like Kung Fu Wonderchild and Child of Peach.

• Like 3

Moon Lee here, overall. So much energy on screen it's palpable.

Now here's a few random recommendations for those seeking guest appearances/unknown 1-timer impressive roles or the like.

A BOOK OF HEROES - Pauline Lan and Yang Hui-Shan were really something to behold here. Of course everyone knows this movie for Yukari Oshima but check it out, those 2 girls (and one-hit wonder Pauline Lan) are something. The movie is kinda nonsense though.

SHE SHOOTS STRAIGHT - Carina Lau's only real fighting performance but she gives it all she's got.

MAGIC CRYSTAL - Wong Mei-Mei who played Andy Lau's sister. Her first and only appearance in a modern 80's-90's martial arts movie and it's really something.

Might come up with more but for now that's what I came up with.

• Like 3

I recovered She Shoots Straight, I liked it even though I saw it in poor quality; too bad it's not in bluray. Sammo's wife was a very beautiful woman. For now maybe the best of the genre remains Royal Warriors; Yes Madam who gave it all away tired me in the comic parts. I'm still missing a lot of them but some are unobtainable and here in Italy it's useless to say it... no one has ever come out.

Edited by JackieRome
  • Like 4

From the modern era it would be a toss up between Oshima and Yeoh and Moon Lee,from the traditional Kung fu movie era for me hands down Angela Mao Ying

• Like 4