Chandni Chowk To China -- action comedy with Gordon Liu

xianzai

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The girl's name I think is Deepika Padukone.

Yep.

Some pictures.

Her most recent movie is Bachna Ae Haseeno, but she shares screentime with two other women.

There's also Om Shanti Om, available on DVD and Blu-ray. Unfortunately it's very much aimed at people familiar with Indian (mainly Bollywood) movies, so there are lots of in-jokes.

Dee Dee Ku/Hien Chiu Ku is the stunt director. He worked for Yuen Woo Ping.

That is reassuring for the most part.

Yeah she is stunning.Deepika was a model whose new career in acting looks very promising.She is currently dating rising star Ranbir Kapoor the son of one of my all time favourite Indian actors Rishi Kapoor who is part of the mega-famous talented Kapoor clan.Rishi's elder brother Shashi (Ranbir's uncle) is the one chasing Sharmila Tagore in that youtube linked skating song from my previous post from the hit 70s movie " Aa Gale Lag Jaa " (Come,embrace me).

Some pictures of Ranbir;sorry guys ;)

http:www.bollywoodmovies.us/actor/ranbir_kapoor/bollywood_ranbir_kapoor.html

wudangimmortal
o man in couple of the pics she looks like one of my cousins :(

u must hook me up with your cousin haha

Dee Dee Ku interview, new fight footage

'The fight master also trained leading lady Deepika Padukone for more than two weeks* for her stunts, and yes, he says there is a fine difference between Akshay and Deepika's stunts.

'“Girl fights should be powerful and beautiful while for Akshay it is either powerful or something that is not so serious,” Dee Dee said.'

* Keep in mind she's already a trained dancer, like Michelle Yeoh and Cheng Pei Pei. :)

An early review. Sounds like they blew it:

Maybe my expectations were too high, but I didn't like it very much. The film has three big problems:

1) Tone. The early part of the film is very silly and slapsticky. Akshay plays another 'yokel' character like he did in Singh is Kinng. The audience shrieked with laughter. But just before the intermission the tone changes and the rest of the film features a lot of tears*. I know it's not uncommon for B'wood movies to have drastic changes in tone, especially pre- and post-intermission, but for me the contrast between the screams of laughter from the audience in the first half and the almost complete silence of the audience in the second half was stark.

2) Pace. For a supposed 'martial arts comedy' there was very little action. I spent a lot of time wishing for something to just happen already! It's particularly bad in the second half when the forward-movement of the story is regularly interrupted so that someone can have an extended flashback. Akshay does have some martial arts sequences, but they come too late in the film and are too short. What is there is very good, though. At least in my opinion. I'm looking forward to hearing what more experienced martial arts watchers think.

3) The songs. I thought Kal Ho Naa Ho and Salaam-E-Ishq had great songs with great picturizations and was expecting more of the same from Chandni Chowk to China. Alas, it was not to be. The title track has a visually interesting picturization (at least for the first two-thirds), but the song itself is dumb (and not in a good way). Tere Naina is pretty, and has a clever picturization, but it's too short in the film to make much of an impact. I was disappointed.

*in addition to tears, there is a lot of drool/drooling in the movie

(emphasis added)

When a non-MA fan complains the fight scenes are too short it's a big warning flag to me.

I just got back from seeing CHANDNI CHOWK TO CHINA--in a theater, of course--and I loved every minute of it. As a kung fu fan who's seen a fair number of Bollywood films, the mix of these two genres excited me and kept me stimulated throughout. I don't know what film was seen by the reviewer whom Xianzai quoted in the previous post, because it sure doesn't sound like what I saw. This film had plenty of action--at regular intervals. Plus suspense. Plus comedy. Plus music and songs. Plus drama (including a few tears). All wrapped up in a compelling storyline. Plus exotic locations (primarily China and Thailand). Plus an extraordinarily beautiful leading lady--in a dual role! Plus...and how can you beat this?...Gordon Liu in his biggest role in years. And he's great. Also, this is the first time I've seen Akshay Kumar. What a great action/comedy star he is. I've gotta see more of his films.

It owes a lot to KUNG FU HUSTLE, in terms of its tone and style and carefully blended mix of comedy, stunts, kung fu and drama. Which is fine with me because I loved KFH. If you loved it too I don't see how you can't like this one as well.

Archived