Chandni Chowk To China -- action comedy with Gordon Liu

xianzai

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DeeDee Ku, one of Yuen Woo-ping protege's did the action choreography for this...also stars 7'1 Conan Stevens Warner brothers 1st Bollywood production

ah so this is the indian film that Gordon Liu was going to be part of...looks fun lol

First Jackie Chan with the Myth now Gordon Liu

I'm a fan of the film's star, Akshay Kumar. He's one of Bollywood's most famous action heroes and he is a legitimate martial artist himself. So it's going to be interesting to see how he pulls off HK-style fighting under DeeDee Ku.

what the hell! does every bollywood movie have song and dance?
No.

OTOH, a well-choreographed dance routine with good music can be as fun to watch as a martial arts fight. They're both spectacles created to entertain.

thundered mantis
I'm a fan of the film's star, Akshay Kumar. He's one of Bollywood's most famous action heroes and he is a legitimate martial artist himself. So it's going to be interesting to see how he pulls off HK-style fighting under DeeDee Ku.

AlbertV, which Akshay Kumar films would you reccomend based solely on "real" physical action and stunts? I emphasize "real" thing ´cause the very few bits of Bwood action pieces I´ve seen rely a lot on comedic CGI or similar effects. It will surely be ignorance on my part, as I´ve seen so few, but anyway, I´d like the real deal!

Thanks man

If I wanted song and dance I'll watch GREASE.Just sayin'.To me, nothing beats a great coreographed fight,not High School Musical 1-50 or anything from Bollywood.

If I wanted song and dance I'll watch GREASE.Just sayin'.To me, nothing beats a great coreographed fight,not High School Musical 1-50 or anything from Bollywood.

i dont like musicals or most of films that come out of bollywood cos they always include music scenes, but i have seen a couple films which were damn funny and this one looks entertaining and for once the dance scenes seem to be part of the film rather than something which has nothing to do with the film and looks to just be a music video stuck into the film.

anyway any martial arts film from whichever part of the world that sounds good should be watched, it shouldnt be dismissed just because its coming from a certain country

AlbertV, which Akshay Kumar films would you reccomend based solely on "real" physical action and stunts? I emphasize "real" thing ´cause the very few bits of Bwood action pieces I´ve seen rely a lot on comedic CGI or similar effects. It will surely be ignorance on my part, as I´ve seen so few, but anyway, I´d like the real deal!

Thanks man

Main Khiladi Tu Anari and Aan: Men of War are two Kumar films I strongly recommend. The first is a Bwood remake of Michael J. Fox and James Woods' The Hard Way, but Kumar has a nicely done fight scene and from what I saw in Aan, Kumar gets to fight Monsour del Rosario and Henry Wong, who choreographed the fight scenes for the movie.

To me, nothing beats a great coreographed fight,not High School Musical 1-50 or anything from Bollywood.
I used to think the same way, but the human body is capable of many more things than those which can be shown in a fight. Once I started watching Indian films a few years ago I found dancing stimulates the same part of my brain that enjoys fight scenes. Just watch with an open mind; you may enjoy it.

--------------------------

I'm surprised you guys haven't mentioned the chick. She is like the hottest thing alive today.
She has a great body, but overall I prefer Shriya and a bunch of other actresses.

I used to think the same way, but the human body is capable of many more things than those which can be shown in a fight. Once I started watching Indian films a few years ago I found dancing stimulates the same part of my brain that enjoys fight scenes. Just watch with an open mind; you may enjoy it.

--------------------------

She has a great body, but overall I prefer Shriya and a bunch of other actresses.

I have an open mind.I just dont like musicals.I started to watch Krrsh(Ithink thats the name)because the trailer looked good.It wasnt 10 min.in to the film and there they go singing and dancing.Apparently it doesnt stimulate the same part of my mind as does yours.

The inclusion of music scenes in bollywood films is due to the fact that families go to the cinema as like an outing and its something they can afford, it is the main form of entertainment for poorer families in india. So for that they get several hours of film and music entertainment.

I like you do not like the films having so many music "breaks", if i grew up in India it might be different, but meh thats how it is

More footage (warning: may contain dancing):

"I have an open mind.I just dont like musicals."

Isn't that like saying 'I don't like anime?' Just like with anime, there are all sorts of musicals. If it helps, you can think of the musical numbers as dream sequences or a projection of the inner thoughts and feelings of the characters instead of real events in the movie. Or a good time for a bathroom break.

IIRC, the dancing in Krrish wasn't very good. They had the leading lady doing traditional dance moves which don't look too good in jeans.

More footage (warning: may contain dancing):

"I have an open mind.I just dont like musicals."

Isn't that like saying 'I don't like anime?' Just like with anime, there are all sorts of musicals. If it helps, you can think of the musical numbers as dream sequences or a projection of the inner thoughts and feelings of the characters instead of real events in the movie. Or a good time for a bathroom break.

IIRC, the dancing in Krrish wasn't very good. They had the leading lady doing traditional dance moves which don't look too good in jeans.

OK.This thread is getting old to me Xianzai.Lets just agree to disagree,(cue the music),and dance our way out of this topic.BTW I am even pickier about my anime.The End.

The inclusion of music scenes in bollywood films is due to the fact that families go to the cinema as like an outing and its something they can afford, it is the main form of entertainment for poorer families in india. So for that they get several hours of film and music entertainment

The indian film industry started with silent films in the 30s and started using sound a few years later.Although India is culturally rich in music and dance,the song and dance sequences where not originally part of the movies.

In the old days most cinemas in India had only one projector that could take a minimum of 10 mins to a maximum of an hour's film footage at a time so periodic breaks were needed.During these intervals the cinema owners used to hire local dance troups with side acts to pacify the audience while the projectionist was getting the other part of the movie ready.These intermission acts became so popular that they were eventually featured as part of the usual bill.

The film producers then realised that it would be cool to actually incorporate these acts in their movies.It was difficult at first as live bands,orchestras,musicians,dancers etc had to be in the frame and when a song was required to be picturised on location the whole group had to accompany the stars in whatever means of transportation playing their various instruments in the background.

Luckily the musical rage in Hollywood helped fix this problem.The songs could now be pre-recorded or pre-scored and the lead actors had to mime and dance to the background music.Suspension of disbelief takes over during these sequences.

This new trend gave birth to a thriving sub-industry of music studios,music directors,playback singers for the stars,lyricists,choreographers etc etc which has transformed into a multi-million dollar industry today.

Music in Indian movies became so significant that they could make or break a film.Producers released the music of the films months before their general theatrical release and if the music is a hit,chances are you'll get good box office returns.At one point music directors were as revered as the film directors and strangely the music directors would also take the flack if the movie failed.

Note also that there are many Indian films that don't have any song and sequences.There are other genres that do not require songs, the musicals are mainly mainstream films.

Originally as far back as I can remember,the songs were indeed part of the plot see this http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mq5iAH-wD8

but in the early 90s " Item Number " trends started that had nothing to do with the narrative just stuck in as a selling point (I hated this).Though most of these " Item Songs " were impressive see this http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvMSrHs6-U8 they undermined the seriousness of Indian cinema from a Western perspective.

Thankfully India film-makers are reverting to the old ways of making the songs part of the story.

Akshay Kumar studied karate in Bangkok (he was a cook before acting) but I don't know to what level.Bear in mind that Indian action fight scenes are not as realistic as their Hong Kong counterparts as most times they try to make their mainstream films suitable for all ages so you might be disappointed in this regard nevertheless check these Akshay Kumar films if you can Saugandh (his 1st release) Awara Pagal Deewana, Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi,Barood and those already mentioned by AlbertV.

Looking good.

I hope that it doesn't have the over-exaggerated fight scenes found in films like the Tamil productions.

I hope that it doesn't have the over-exaggerated fight scenes found in films like the Tamil productions.
Dee Dee Ku/Hien Chiu Ku is the stunt director. He worked for Yuen Woo Ping.

-----

Another promo

Looks like something that will play during the end credits...

I missed this thread, looks pretty cool and it's great to see Gordon getting some work. Thanks for the back history on India cinema Kwok Chui, I like to see the old bollywood movies from the 70's.

Archived