Shogun Assassin DVD comparisons

kungpowmaster

kungpowmaster

Hi,

I recently bought the new Shogun Assassin box set of all 5 films. I have watched Shogun Assassin twice now, once with the new commentary.

I have noticed this disc is not all that clear and great looking. I am talking about the 1st film. And what I am seeing other than some blurry scenes, is what I think may be pixilization. Not all the scenes, most look great, but especially during the scene that Lone Wolf is injured, in the dark cabin, and the Cub gives him water and food, and then it moves on to when the Cub is tied up over the well. I see alot of, I guess it is, pixilization in these dark scenes. And off and on even in light scenes, even in the desert climax.

Does anyone else have this DVD, and has watched it? Anyone else notice this? Would the added new commentary track affect the picture quality? How does the box set disc compare with Anim-eigo's previous single disc?

And how does the Red Sun DVD look? Compared with the Vipco DVD?

I ask, because Shogun Assassin is one of my all time favorites, and I was a little let down, with all the pixilization and blurry scenes. And I also put in Shogun Assassin 2, and it did not have this. Nor does the discs of the Lone Wolf and Cubs.

Could it be my TV? But then it would be like that on everything, and it's not.

Overall, it does look good, and at times very good, but the pixils in the dark, and near the end are just visible to me. And a bit of a distraction, because I was expecting greatness, as I have Lone Wolf DVDs already, and they are great. I do know, from what I read, that Anim-eigo used their Lone Wolf materials, and reassembled Shogun Assassin, I suspect digitally, as I can't imagine them hauling and splicing an actual film. Would that affect it like such?

But as I said, it's a very nice set, of basically just English dubbed versions of Lone Wolf and Cub 3-5. I just can't give it 5 stars for the Shogun Assasin 1st film video quality. 3 and 1/2.

Just curious, and looking for THE perfect release of this on DVD.

Thanks,

Chosen One

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kungpowmaster

Drunk,

That doesn't make sense. I was asking for a comparative picture quality of the DVDs of this that have been available, officially or not.

But anyway, I read a few reviews, and some of them hinted at what I was saying, some blurry images, and MPEG2 compression, which I guess would be the "pixilization" I refer too. But I think maybe my TV has some part in it too, as many TV channels seem to have this same effect... it's a Phillips HD widescreen TV, not sure if non HD stuff would play better or worse, but then on some, most, quality DVDs I have, it looks great. Oh well, it's no biggy, I'm just a perfectionist, that generally praises AnimEigo's other DVDs I have, but I guess they did the best they could, as they reconstructed the whole thing with the digital elements of their Lone Wolf movies. The commentary was decent too, but that one guy kept trying to make some mystical meaning into everything, and I don't think there was.

Chosen One

Drunk,

That doesn't make sense. I was asking for a comparative picture quality of the DVDs of this that have been available, officially or not.

I was thinking nobody would be able to tell you the quality of the Red Sun version because few people actually purchase bootlegs here. Perhaps I am wrong.

kungfusamurai
Drunk,

But anyway, I read a few reviews, and some of them hinted at what I was saying, some blurry images, and MPEG2 compression, which I guess would be the "pixilization" I refer too. But I think maybe my TV has some part in it too, as many TV channels seem to have this same effect... it's a Phillips HD widescreen TV, not sure if non HD stuff would play better or worse, but then on some, most, quality DVDs I have, it looks great. Oh well, it's no biggy, I'm just a perfectionist, that generally praises AnimEigo's other DVDs I have, but I guess they did the best they could, as they reconstructed the whole thing with the digital elements of their Lone Wolf movies. The commentary was decent too, but that one guy kept trying to make some mystical meaning into everything, and I don't think there was.

Chosen One

I didn't realize they had english dubs for the last three films as well. I assumed the only ones were the first 'Shogun Assassin', which was the first two Lone Wolf films combined, and then 'Lightning Swords of Death' which was Lone Wolf film number 3 (Baby Cart To Hades, if I'm not mistaken).

Were the english dubs recorded for the last three films recorded the same time or after Shogun Assassin (1980), or in the 70s around the time Lightning Swords of Death was dubbed?

Your problem with your DVDs could be an issue with the upconversion of the DVD on your HD set. I don't own one, but I have seen the quality of regular discs upconverted using Sony Playstation 3, and it varies depending on the source material and the encoding.

Do you have the Animeigo Lone Wolf & Cub films (i.e. the original versions)? Or any other Animeigo films on DVD? Maybe they did a poor mastering job on some of the films. Their website says the films were reconstructed by them, so perhaps something was lost in the 'translation'?

KFS

kungpowmaster

Hi KFS,

From what I know, the Lone Wolf films, 3-5, were given new English dubs, by AnimEigo. I heard Lightning Swords of Death played in the US in the 70's, did that have an English dub then? I have the Red Sun DVD of Lightning Swords of Death(Shogun Assassin 2), which has an English dub, as well as the Japanese audio, but I don't know if it's the same dub as on the AnimEigo DVD of that title, or if they made a new dub? I have the 5 Film English dub set, but I haven't looked through them all. I also have the Lone Wolf and Cub DVDs by AnimEigo, except for film 3. One of the Special Features on the new Shogun Assassin DVD of the 1st film, in the box set, was an interview with the English dubber, but for the newer dubs, and it didn't specifically say which films got the new dub, so my guess is 3-5. I have a lot of the AnimEigo DVDs, and they are all very high quality, and this new set it as well. Maybe it's my TV. I did switch DVD players last night, as I had some DVD copies of stuff that for some reason would not play on it, but did play on the other players in the house... But that's another topic. But I would be curious if Lightning Swords of Death has a 70's dub, or a new one?

Chosen

Guest WuxiaFan

kungpowmaster,

I have Shogun Assassin [AnimEigo Reconstructed Version] and it looks perfect on my widescreen Mitsubisihi HDTV. I also have the Oppo Digitial 981H upconverting player which upconverts the disc to 1080i. I didn't see any pixilization or blurriness for that matter. I used to have a Malata universal player and I ran into various issues with certian discs, but once I got the Oppo, I did not have those problems. So IMO, it's either your TV or DVD player. I doubt the new commentary track would affect the picture. Animeigo's 5 disc box set, which contains all of the English dubbed versions, includes Shogun Assassin [AnimEigo Reconstructed Version]. Panmedia/Red Sun/Bonzai Corp are all one in the same bootleggers, so I would stay away from them. I've never heard of Vipco.

HAZ,

HKFlix has both the 6-disc LWC English subbed box set and the English dubbed 5-disc Shogan Assassin box set:

Lone Wolf & Cub box set:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.535863/qx/details.htm

Shogun Assassin box set:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.538163/qx/details.htm

It would be nice if they re-packaged the subbed dvd's in a new box set at a good price.

I definitely agree with you on that Haz. I've been holding out on buying the box set because the price is a bit high. I might pick it up when I get my tax return back.

There was a Thai release that used the same Animeigo's print for half the price. But it sadly went out of print before I could buy it.

I definitely agree with you on that Haz. I've been holding out on buying the box set because the price is a bit high. I might pick it up when I get my tax return back.

There was a Thai release that used the same Animeigo's print for half the price. But it sadly went out of print before I could buy it.

Animeigo is having a bit of a sale right now, but the lone wolf series stiill ain't cheap & they're all dvd-5. The shaolin assassin set comes in a much nicer box & sells for 50.00 locally. The subbed version is available for 100 - 125.

Killer Meteor

I imagine the Red Suns were stolen from the Vipco, which was very poor quality to begin with

Hi,

I recently bought the new Shogun Assassin box set of all 5 films. I have watched Shogun Assassin twice now, once with the new commentary.

I have noticed this disc is not all that clear and great looking. I am talking about the 1st film. And what I am seeing other than some blurry scenes, is what I think may be pixilization. Not all the scenes, most look great, but especially during the scene that Lone Wolf is injured, in the dark cabin, and the Cub gives him water and food, and then it moves on to when the Cub is tied up over the well. I see alot of, I guess it is, pixilization in these dark scenes. And off and on even in light scenes, even in the desert climax.

Does anyone else have this DVD, and has watched it? Anyone else notice this? Would the added new commentary track affect the picture quality? How does the box set disc compare with Anim-eigo's previous single disc?

And how does the Red Sun DVD look? Compared with the Vipco DVD?

I ask, because Shogun Assassin is one of my all time favorites, and I was a little let down, with all the pixilization and blurry scenes. And I also put in Shogun Assassin 2, and it did not have this. Nor does the discs of the Lone Wolf and Cubs.

Could it be my TV? But then it would be like that on everything, and it's not.

Overall, it does look good, and at times very good, but the pixils in the dark, and near the end are just visible to me. And a bit of a distraction, because I was expecting greatness, as I have Lone Wolf DVDs already, and they are great. I do know, from what I read, that Anim-eigo used their Lone Wolf materials, and reassembled Shogun Assassin, I suspect digitally, as I can't imagine them hauling and splicing an actual film. Would that affect it like such?

But as I said, it's a very nice set, of basically just English dubbed versions of Lone Wolf and Cub 3-5. I just can't give it 5 stars for the Shogun Assasin 1st film video quality. 3 and 1/2.

Just curious, and looking for THE perfect release of this on DVD.

Thanks,

Chosen One

kungpowmaster

I finally got Baby Cart 3. So I now have all the subbed Lone Wolfs, and the Shogun Assassin box set. The problems I noticed with the picture from my 1st post, is the TV. I see it alot. I guess it's the converting process. Some films, and TV shows are like that, and some arn't. It's no big deal, and I feel confident, it's not the DVD, not that it would matter if it was.

Carl

That cover art is very cool, but that has to be one of the most ridiculous quotes (form Monsters At Play) Ive ever seen. This isnt the Wu-Tang Hidden Chambers collection!

Archived