Fist & Guts and The Warrior from Shaolin: Tai Seng

Guest oldeschool17

Guest oldeschool17

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could comment on the dvd quality of these 2 flicks from Tai Seng. I know not to expect a flawless remaster effort by anymeans, but is it a tolerable print, does it have optional/burnt in subtitles, english dub, etc?

Also, could you guys comment on the actual movie itself. I dont remember seeing these 2 flicks back in the day, so if someone could give a lil review on it, that would be great. I apologize if this kind of thread has been asked allready, but ezboard's search function is garbage. thanks all

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ironfistedmonk2003

full screen dubs, picture quality is OK IMO, definately not close to remastered quality mate.

Both films are good IMO, some dont like Fists and Guts because of the comedy but both feature some good fights, especially Warrior From Shaolin.

www.hkcinema.co.uk/Reviews/fistsandguts.html

www.kungfucinema.com/reviews/warriorfromshaolin.htm

Guest Chen Zhen

dvd:

if u have any tai seng kf dvds, then u already kno the quality. full screen, a lil degration, but a very watchable print. both are english dubbed, with no subs...burned in or optional. it does feature a commentary track starring Kungfufandom favourite, Ric Meyers....so listen at your own risk.

Warrior from Shaolin is an aka for Carry on Wiseguy, directed by Lau Kar Wing, starring Gordon Liu, Lau Kar Yung, Eric Tsang, Lau Kar Wing and Lily Li. the fighting ROCKS, its really good. it moves at a solid pace. comedy is a lil suspect, but i could tolerate it. a few scenes were very out of place....but overall i'd give it a 7 or 7.5 out of 10. note that this version, according to my man abbotwhite is cut...not sure how much cut, but i know pieces of teh endfight are defientely cut.

Fist and Guts imo is the weaker of the 2 films. i thought the comedy was bad and the pacing was even worse. there are only 3 real fights in the movie....but the 3 fights (especially the one in the dark) are very good, as to be expected by Lau Kar Wing. it stars Gordon Liu, Lo Lieh, Lau Kar Wing and Lee Hoi San. however, the last 2 i mentioned are HORRIBLY underused/wasted. and lo lieh only fights in the end. not a big fan of the movie. i'd give it a 6 out of 10. however, if u ask my homie Yakuza954, he'll tell u its the best kf movie ever :rolleyes :P

Guest morgoth

Average pic quality on Warrior from Shaolin, much better quality on Fist and Guts. Both movies are pretty crappy, but they have some good fights.

Guest kungfusamurai

A number of the Tai Sengs sourced Ocean Shores tapes that were slightly squeezed 1.85:1. So if you have a TV that has a feature to convert the image to 16:9, you get a slightly widescreen look. Still, it's missing a lot from the original, which probably was 2.35:1.

KFS

18JadeArafats

Are there better versions of these movies, then?

I remember a while back rarekungfumovies said they had a widescreen version of fist and guts, but I could never pull the trigger on buying a load of $20 DVDs sight unseen.

Guest Yakuza954

I don't think there are better english-friendly versions of these films. There's an uncut vcd of Warrior from Shaolin that's raw, and a widescreen version (from Japan) of Fist and Guts thats also raw. Its a shame as Fist and Guts is one of my favorite films.

Guest Mantis FIST

does anyone have the widescreen japanese version of fist and guts? I got the dub so I could sync it up most likely!

Guest chen lung

Rip the Canto/Mandarin tracks from Ocean Shores VCD too:b ! Does the Red Sun DVD rip the Japanese or Tai Seng (one of them has Ocean Shores disclaimer)? Stretched images (in the link) except the opening credits which are anamorphic.

I fancy seeing 'Fists And Guts'. There's a clip on 'Cinema Of Vengeance' and it seemed pretty good! Now that there's mention of not liking the comedy, I'll probably give it a miss:( .

Archived