Ling Yun SB Films

Shaolin Patriot

Shaolin Patriot

One actor I've not heard much about on the board is Ling Yun. I've seen just a few of his films (Deadly Knives, Big Holdup, Five Tough Guys) and thought he gave good performances in each one. I have an interest in a few more titles. Can anyone comment on these?

- Heroes of the Underground (with Ching Li)

- Gun Brothers (with Ku Feng)

- Six Assassins (with Lilly Li)

I can recommend these two titles to you: "Clans of Intrique" (with Ti Lung and Yueh Hua) and the sequel "Legend of the Bat" (with Ti Lung and Yueh Hua as well). In each of them he plays the same Character - an assassin!

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Twin Blades Of Doom

Perils Of The Sentimental Swordsman

The Deadly Knives

Death Duel

Duel Of The Century (this should've been released)

The Iron Buddha

Legend Of The Bat

There are more titles.

One actor I've not heard much about on the board is Ling Yun. I've seen just a few of his films (Deadly Knives, Big Holdup, Five Tough Guys) and thought he gave good performances in each one. I have an interest in a few more titles. Can anyone comment on these?

The first two I enjoyed quite a bit especially GUN BROTHERS. The opening reminded me so much of Indiana Jones. While the whole film is good, the ending didn't reach the excitement of the beginning. SIX ASSASSINS was just okay to me, granted, I was doing other things while it was on, so another viewing would be in order. I would just get it anyways if you're a fan. As someone else said, LEGEND OF THE BAT is great. The final 30 minutes is tops and filled with enough cliffhanger moments for several movies. Ling Yun was working on another movie at the same time as DEADLY KNIVES called UNARMED COMBAT but either that one never got released by Celestial (under a different name?) or was a film that was never completed.

Alas, Unarmed Combat was never completed or it would have been the 3rd pairing of Ling Yun with Ivy Ling Po after The Mighty One & It's All In The Family.

SIX ASSASSINS is worth a watch, but it's only fair. Of the others mentioned here, I'm a big fan of CLANS OF INTRIGUE and IRON BUDDHA. Frankly, I don't remember how big Ling Yun's role was in CLANS, but I definitely prefer it, as a film, to LEGEND OF THE BAT. He has a good part in IRON BUDDHA, which is filled with action and has a really evil bad guy, played expertly by Huang Tsung-hsin. Since the hero (Ling Yun) doesn't know what the bad guy he's chasing looks like, the villain uses this to manipulate the hero into finding the precious knife that both hero and villain are searching for. It's very clever.

Yang Wu Liang

In Iron Buddha he gets a decent starring role but I prefer Ling Yun in his later indies, the bloke is a swordplay DON in films like Big Land Flying Eagles, Hero's Tears, My Blade My Life, Moon Night Cutter, Last Duel, Flying Sword Lee the list goes on and only my memory's preventing me from naming more!

After Ti Lung and Tien Peng he's my favourite screen swordsman.

Shaolin Patriot

Thanks to everyone for your feedback and recommendations. I'll certainly look into Legend of the Bat and Iron Buddha too. Legend of the Bat has a great cast and story. It seems Sammo Hung is the action director for Iron Buddha and also features the late Wong Chung Shun from the Bruce Lee films. Clans of Intrigue - what's this about a cross-gendered monk? I'm not so sure about this one. :P

Alas, Unarmed Combat was never completed or it would have been the 3rd pairing of Ling Yun with Ivy Ling Po after The Mighty One & It's All In The Family.

Thanks for that, Winfred.:D

Clans of Intrigue - what's this about a cross-gendered monk? I'm not so sure about this one. :P

Well it's not like he/she shows you his/her private parts. I thought it got a bit convoluted near the end. If i say much more then it may give away the ending. Just go into it with low expectations. I also thought Ti Lung was rather "weak" in this movie compared to Legend of the Bat. Even though Clans of Intrigue has the mystery element going for it, I thought Legend of the Bat did a better job with it and the film was much more engaging(even if it was trying to introduce an array of characters, twists and turns). To each his/her own

Like someone mentioned a while back, Clans of Intrigue is the cure for insomnia, I try to watch it and it can not hold my interest, why Chor Yuen abandoned the action and pacing of the Magic Blade I'll never know.

Chu Liu Hsiang

I always appreciate his performances a lot, especially as cool wuxia character, but he's also great in "contempos". Good to know he's still around. Happy Birthday!!

Edited by Chu Liu Hsiang
  • Like 4

On 12/2/2008 at 11:29 AM, Shaolin Patriot said:

I did a review on Gun Brothers -it's not bad of a film although the choreography was a bit shaky.  Ling also held the lead role as a private detective in Dark Rendezvous, investigating the murder of his ex-girlfriend.

Edited by morpheus
  • Like 2

Shaolin Patriot

Wow, completely forgot about my original 2008 post! Thanks for all the recommendations. I now have practically every title mentioned in the thread. Also be sure to check out Killers On Wheels. Still hoping for an official Dark Rendezvous release some day. 

• Like 3