WING CHUN THE SERIES

GungFu

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ordered this a while ago. Very accomplished in story, characters and fight scenes. I did think the twist ending was a bit of a cop out though. Some of Yuen and Sammo's fights are excellent, and Nic Tse shows he has got some action chops.

wudangimmortal

i got it in the mail a week ago, been watching it, up to episode 15, things started out slow, telling the story, learning the characters, things are starting to pick up, alot has happened, although little wing chun so far only a few select scenes, more like soap opera as of the first 15 eps. but definitely worth seeing. gordon liu makes an appearance which is memorable.

very happy i picked it up. looking forward to the rest of the series.

• Administrator
I thought this series rocked. My oly gripe would be with Nicholas Tse's character, very childish.

Agreed. I was wondering if maybe they made his character "go sulk by himself" as an excuse to ease up his filming requirements for this series. He was probably also performing concerts, in the recording studio, doing commercials, and talk show appearences the whole time they were shooting this series. His character was a bit frustrating, and despite his learning the moves for his role... I never felt he was able to convey any kind of power in his Wing Chun. The above-average choreography was a nice way to compensate for his physical performance's shortcomings though.

It was fantastic to see Yuen Biao doing Wing Chun kung fu again. His acting has definitely matured a great deal over the years. I gotta say- I always thought he was underused in HK cinema. I could have watched him starring in at least 50 more HK movies easy!

Also loved Sammo in this, especially his teaching scenes.

Gordon's cameo was good, but left me wanting much more.

I did feel that it used some prehistoric plot devices, and was a little too soap-opera-y (as previously mentioned), but I still enjoyed it. I'd probably rate it a 7 or 7.5 out of 10.

I recently started Biao's other recent Wing Chun TV series- REAL KUNG FU- and so far it's even better, with more emphasis on Biao's character (it's less of an ensemble piece than WING CHUN) and the action. And again, this series features most of the same historical figures as the films WARRIORS TWO and PRODIGAL SON did. Did I mention Yuen Wah plays Biao's teacher? :) Cool!

wudangimmortal

kung fu bob:

i was looking to watch that series as well, i read it is a sort of prequel to Wing Chun, where do you find it? any info appreciated.

• Administrator
kung fu bob:

i was looking to watch that series as well, i read it is a sort of prequel to Wing Chun, where do you find it? any info appreciated.

Hey brother, a friend of mine that lives in Malaysia sent it to me. He bought it there in a local store. I will ask him if there's a way you can order it from there, and get back to you with an answer as soon as I get one.

• Administrator

Turns out I mis-remembered about where my REAL KUNG FU TV series had come from. The guy I traded for this, said his is a bootleg, and he traded for it himself. So I don't know where it can be bought.

Sorry I can't help more. After months of searching I couldn't find it myself, and posted a "please help" thread here on the forum to find it. Good luck.

• Administrator

Thanks bro, but he was asking where to get REAL KUNG FU, not WING CHUN. It's another TV series starring Yuen Biao, and centering on learning and practicing Wing Chun.

There were some good moments in Real Kung Fu, but I would hope that the fights in the new Wing Chun series are better?

I didn't like the ending to Real Kung Fu. The big fight at the end seemed to turn into a wire fest.

• Administrator
There were some good moments in Real Kung Fu, but I would hope that the fights in the new Wing Chun series are better?

I didn't like the ending to Real Kung Fu. The big fight at the end seemed to turn into a wire fest.

Oh shit. Really? I'm only up to the 8th episode. Still, I'm enjoying it.

WING CHUN's fights really seemed to have a wide range in quality, from just okay to very good.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great fights in Real Kung Fu that you have to look forward too. I won't say more, but you will love them.

wudangimmortal

im on ep 30 of wing chun, so far im very happy i picked it up, it has something for everyone and of course yuen biao and sammo hung with alot of wing chun .

wudangimmortal

could anyone recommend another series similar to this?

I thoroughly enjoyed it and now somewhat depressed i have nothing more of the series to see haha.

hoping someone can suggest a new series similar in style. thanks in advance!

could anyone recommend another series similar to this?

I thoroughly enjoyed it and now somewhat depressed i have nothing more of the series to see haha.

hoping someone can suggest a new series similar in style. thanks in advance!

Real Kung Fu was great.

hmm...5 star lazer had it once upon a time...I'll let you know if I find anything.

I'm also liking Fearless & The Handsome Siblings, which I think is a retelling of the Proud Twins.

• Administrator
hmm...5 star lazer had it once upon a time...I'll let you know if I find anything.

I'm also liking Fearless & The Handsome Siblings, which I think is a retelling of the Proud Twins.

Haz, is "FEARLESS" the Huo Yuan Jia series with Ekin Chen? I have that series, but it's just called HUO YUAN JIA on my release.

Archived