Ramon Zamora

Atherton

Ramon Zamora has been mentioned here awhile back. Anyone interested check out this page.

http://video48.blogspot.com/search/label/RAMON%20ZAMORA

Dig deeper and I believe there's some stuff on mid to late 60's Filipino martial arts movies. If anyone is interested Andrew Leavold is doing a documentary on Filipino films and his site touches some martial arts bases. I believe he's been doing loads of interviews and was last trying to contact Philip Ko Fei (who I believe is still in the Philippines) via Monsour Del Rosario.

http://andrewleavold.blogspot.com/

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monsour is a friend of mine and I also know Franco Guerreao (one armed executioner,cleopatra wong etc.)...Franco used to be my door to door neighbour here in chinatown before i moved to another house..(still near by)

that's awesome Franky. I read that Ko Fei does fight choreography for a lot of Filipino tv, do you ever get a chance to check those out? I've seen a few Franco Guerreo films usually directed by Bobby Suarez. I imagine some of these older Filipino martial arts films are pretty hard to find. please feel free to share any stories about hanging with TKD champ Monsour. Have you had a chance to meet Gabriel Romulo?

theres a tv channel here called pbo they play those old b-movies all the time..i think many are available on VCD here or bootlegs..i just dont know what is what and mostly they are in tagalog and have no subs...but i get an interest in those lately..just need to upgrade my knowledge on those old flicks....XD

bruceleeclones

ive been trying to find some of the Ramon Zamora bruce lee clone movies but havent had much luck, apart from Chop Suey. Seems he made quite a few.

I took a glance at the site...were some of these films comedies? I've seen trailers for two of his movies and knew those were serious films.

I've only seen Revenge of The Dragon and it has some unintentional humor. But was overall a very nice film, surprisingly good.

Yeah I'll go do that. I believe he's actually in the Philippines right now shooting more interviews. There's a huge thread at AV Maniacs Asian forum on Filipino action films that Andrew Leavold takes part in. There seems to be a core group of a dozen or so guys really digging these films on that forum, uncharted waters for many in the cult film sectors.

He's in the wrong place. He needs to come here. There is several people here with info on Philly martial arts films, as well as collectors with rare stills and lobby cards etc. I'm sure we could suggest some very good ideas re: the documentary.

Andrew Leavold

Wrong place, eh? You know Pinoy kunbg fu freaks always find each other eventually...

Just returned from Manila on Sunday, interviewed Monsour del Rosario but no sign of Philip Ko (most likely back in HK).

Also caught up with Franco Guerrero, Bobby Suarez, and swung by Singapore for a Cleo Wong pool party (more stories about that later!!!). Also fouind Tsing Tong Tsai's Fifties Diner in Baguio but he was in Manila at the time. I talked to him on the phone though, lovely old guy but terrible English.

Funny you should mention Ramon Zamora - since I've been back, I've been working on my Pinoy Kung Fu list 1972-1981 at www.andrewleavold.blogspot.com, and desperately need posters, stills etc etc. It's going to take the best part of a week to finish so please bear with me.

My own RZ collection is spare: Chop-Suey, The Dragon The Lizard And The Boxer and Return Of The Dragon. As far as I can tell there's only another 3 dubbed into English and sold during the 1982 Manila International Film Festival: The Game Of Death (1974), Bruce Of The Golden Chaku aka Golden Chaku (1977), and Spirit Of The Dragon (retitling, original title unknown). Most of his Tagalog films, particularly the 70s kung fu titles, have long since perished.

Ramon alternated between "serious" and comic martial arts roles throughout the Seventies and even did a martial arts TV show in '73 called "Dragon". He started as a dancer before getting a break in 1970 with the local version of Laugh-In called "Super Laff-In". His most famous creation was a German stormtrooper complete with Hitler moustache who spouted pigeon German and punctuated sentences with an explosibe "Isprackenhayt!" (poster's at http://andrewleavold.blogspot.com/2007/12/ramon-zamora-in-action.html)

Hope this fills in a few blanks!

Cheers, and look forward to hearing to your ideas,

Andrew

RZ definitely looked good. Something worth digging up to view. i have had the pleasure of seeing some good Pinoy b movies thanks to a few friends and FMA instructors. never got to see his, however

Hi Andrew,

Regarding your documentary it would be nice if you could look into some of the Philly based ninja films, including one of my personal favourites: Ninja Warriors.

http://free.7host07.com/rarekfm/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=380

I think these are co-productions with USA? Others starring Ron Marchini include Forgotten Warrior. The only production company listed on my VHS tapes is Silver Star. Always wondered about these type of mid-80s films...

In case you are not already aware, two of Ramon Zamora's films appeared in a collection of original theatrical trailers released on DVD as "Celluloid Fury".

GameOfDeath.jpg

Some good Philly discussion can be found here:

http://free.7host07.com/rarekfm/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=14

Andrew Leavold

Hey all,

Great to hear from you! Holy shit, falcor, that Game Of Death lobby is amazing!!!And dirtytiger, if you ever get a chance to scan the Golden Chaku lobbies... cheers...

The Silver Star ninja films are all-Filipino productions (see http://andrewleavold.blogspot.com/search/label/silver%20star) from the Silver Star Film Company, aka Kinavesa Films or Kinavesa International. There's a few non-Silver Star ninjas (Ultimax Force etc) listed on http://andrewleavold.blogspot.com/search/label/silver%20star

bruceleeclones: Chaku Master's lead actor is credited TWICE in the credits, as Rey Malonzo (his real name) AND Bruce Ly! Along with RZ, he's the most prolific of the "Pinoy Bruce Lees" (http://andrewleavold.blogspot.com/2008/12/pinoy-kung-fu-register-1972-1981.html)

Hey, if you guys know where I could find copies of the following i'd be eternally grateful:

- They Call Him Bruce Lee (Rey Malonzo)

- Game Of Death (Ramon Zamora)

- Golden Chaku (Ramon Zamora)

- Bruka Queen Of Evil

- Tiger Force/Kill The Tiger (Chen Xing)

or posters/scans for Blood Hero (Meng Fei), The Dragon The Lizard And The Boxer (Fei/Zamora), Chaku Master, Treasure Of Bruce Le, Revenge Of The Lady Fighter and any other Pinoy kung fus I've missed.

Cheers! Andrew

I live near a pretty big Filipino community. Are any of these films english friendly & on DVD? I'm going to go on a hunt tomorrow!

bruceleeclones

thanks for clearing that up for me. theres also a Filipino produced movie, american title Cobra. stars another bruce clone, Bruce Lei, any idea who he is?

D0966.jpg

cobra.jpg

bruceleeclones

also just wanted to briefly mention a mistake i noticed on your blog, Treasure of bruce lee and king boxer 2 are two different films. King Boxer 2 is also known as Bruce and the Shaolin Bronzemen. both movies were made in the philippines tho

Andrew Leavold

Are you sure Cobra was made in the Philippines?

From the cast and crew lists it looks like a Hong Kong or Taiwan production.

If you can confirm it's Pinoy, that would be great news

thedirtytiger

- They Call Him Bruce Lee (Rey Malonzo)- is this the same film as Tghey Call Him Chop Suey ? I have the Thai VCD ( dubbed in Thai ) and German lobby set.

Tiger Force/Kill The Tiger (Chen Xing) - I have the poster but never managed to get the film.

The Dragon The Lizard And The Boxer (Fei/Zamora) - I have the Oceasn Shores video and a couple of Greek lobbies.

Treasure Of Bruce Le - I have the American video

Andrew Leavold
I'm watching the Impossible Kid right now. HOLY CRAP THIS IS AMAZING.

Isn't it?? It isn't as absurd as For Your Height Only but they up the ante on the ludicrous stunts. Hilarious.

dirtytiger, would LOVE to see some scans of those lobbies. They Call Him Chop Suey's the Ramon Zamora film from '75, They Call Him Bruce Lee is Rey Malonzo.

Archived