Last Hurrah for Chivalry

Guest Uncle Yu

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No but there's a beautiful prostitute that plays a Guzheng.

Doesn't matter, just watch it! Couldn't recommend it more.

Guest venomchamber

Wei Pai left Chang Cheh's "venoms" stable and went to work with Chang's protoge John Woo on this film over at rival studio Golden Harvest which was founded by Shaw defectors Raymond Chow (publisher of Southern Screen), director Lo Wei and star Jimmy Wang Yu after Run Run hired Mona Fong in '69.

Guest Markgway

Golden Harvest lured Lo Wei and Wang Yu but they weren't involved in the studio as such. They just worked for them. Both only stayed with Harvest for a few years before moving on to independents.

Guest stormybman

This was a very underappreciated film by John Woo. The story was a bit convoluted, however, the sword fights were very top notch... :)

I have come for the revenge of my master, this doesn't concern you, so I'll allow you to leave...

Iron_Leopard

Every martial arts movie should have female characters and female warriors in it. Just their presence alone brings so much gravity to a film overall.

ShawAngela
50 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Every martial arts movie should have female characters and female warriors in it. Just their presence alone brings so much gravity to a film overall.

well done applause GIFThank U GIF by Barnaby

Iron_Leopard
1 minute ago, ShawAngela said:

well done applause GIFThank U GIF by Barnaby

:)

it's so true though. I dont really know the best way to describe it but women just make movies more epic overall. This is one of the reasons the later Chang Cheh Venoms movies aren't my favorite (although I do like them). 

On 5/29/2020 at 11:10 AM, Iron_Leopard said:

While this film does not, it is indeed an excellent film.  John Woo's films have been about male bonding and this early entry reflects his later films such as "A Better Tomorrow", "Bullet in The Head", and especially "The Killer."  In the case of "Last Hurrah for Chivalry", a female warrior would not lend itself very well to the story line.  As others have mentioned, Bonnie Ngai Chow Wah plays a worker at a brothel called "The Fragrant Mansion", and yes she is very pretty.  The fight scenes are at times lengthy -thanks in part to the late Fung Hak On who was a great fight choreographer and has a part in this film as the mercenary named "Pray." This is a film that I always recommend because of the great line of honor and loyalty-much like "Avenging Eagle" from the Shaw Brothers stable. Criterion has this film on their site.

Archived