R.I.P Rudy Ray Moore

prometheus126

prometheus126

I know this is really late to the memory of such a great man but I still feel it should be mentioned.

Moore, who was raised in his birthplace of Fort Smith, Arkansas, as well as Cleveland, Ohio, began his entertainment career as an R & B singer and continued singing through his comedy career. He developed an interest in comedy in the Army after expanding on a singing performance for other servicemen. Rudy Ray Moore released many comedy records throughout the 1960s and 1970s, developing a rude and explicit style similar to Redd Foxx and Richard Pryor. This kept him off of television and major films, but cultivated an enduring fan base.

in !975, Rudy starred as the principle character in the film DOLEMITE, a film he co-wrote. the film revolved around the main character Dolemite, being released from prison after serving time for a crime he didn't commit and trying to earn his street cred back and retake his nightclub, known as The Total Experience. also he must dodge two crooked detectives who framed him in the first place and would love to put the brotha back behind the slammer.

the character Dolemite originated from Rudy ray hearing a tale of a drunk homeless man telling the story of the urban hero, also called dolemite. finding it funny, Rudy then went and modified the character to fit his standup performance. the character became popular quick and he decided to create a movie on him.

dolemite had one sequel to it, the human tornado, and a second sequel due out simetime in 2008 called the dolemite explosion. a remake was in production with LL cool J as the central character but due to complications with the material, the toned down screenplay, the film had been delayed numerous times and finally LL cool J left the project.

On October 19, 2008, Moore died of complications from diabetes. he and his pimp cane will be forever missed.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived