Vengeance

Milkyway

@masterofoneinchpunch - So what did you end up thinking about this movie? I came across a used copy, but wanted to know what a Johnnie To-head like you thought about it first.

@SMK or @Moderation Team - Can you move this into the Asian Cinema forum?

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 3

masterofoneinchpunch
44 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

@masterofoneinchpunch - So what did you end up thinking about this movie? I came across a used copy, but wanted to know what a Johnnie To-head like you thought about it first.

@SMK or @Moderation Team - Can you move this into the Asian Cinema forum?

Thank you for thinking of me.  While I have not done a proper review (maybe I should?) here is my not-so-mini review on it:

Some thoughts and comments and random blather on

Vengeance(2009: Johnnie To): (WARNING SOME SPOILERS)

While I enjoyed the film it is not among my favorites from this director. When watching the one making off feature I noted that Johnnie To stated that the film itself was not unique. There are tons of references to previous To films and I wonder if that is a detriment or boon to To fans. I mean beyond the obvious use of hired triad hitmen (which is why it was fun to watch the not-so-good ones in The Odd One Dies).

Simon Yam: how many times has he played this role? I think I prefer when he gets to do something different like in Sparrow or PTU. Didn't seem much different than Boss Fay in Exiled.

Cooking scene: while I enjoyed the placement of the cooking scene of the former chef Costello this has been used in a few To films most notably (for me) in Breaking News where two different triads get together (with hostages) and have a meal.

Park nighttime gun fight scene: I loved this. It was shot beautifully. The use of the moon being covered by clouds was aesthetically awesome. However, it reminded me of two similar scenes in Triangle and to a lesser extent the hand-to-hand judo scene in Throw Down.

Costello: of course the character is named after Alain Delon in Le Samouraï whom To has been wanting to work with for a few films (including the on/off/on/off remake of The Red Circle), I believe for this film as well.

Now I have no issues with references to work in a film and it certainly becomes fun to spot them, but a certain amount of repetition makes it seem less fresh coupled with several issues clyde mentions above. Ultimately I feel (as I've read in certain interviews) that maybe he has hit a crossroads on what to do next (partially why he is thinking of the Mainland market as well as doing more romantic comedies). After all it's just a coincidence. Just like the use of umbrellas in this film like in Sparrow.

I did not have any issue with the English language used in it. It is actually the most realistic part of the film where English is used as a bridge between different cultures and often when you hear it (for English speakers) it sounds clumsy. This has been done in several HK films before most notably Gen-X Cops and Tokyo Raiders (when they hire a popular Japanese entertainer that doesn't know Cantonese).

Is it strange that Ebert loved this film but did not like Exiled as much?

I'll probably eventually do a full length review of this, but it will not be soon. I have a few other To films I would like to go over in detail before seeing this one again.

• Like 3

JackieRome

I've seen it 3-4 times. once I watch him at the cinema with To presenting the screening, I still have some gadgets from that evening. after all these years in Italy it was only released on DVD. haven't seen him for a long time, you have make me want

• Like 3