How's Ming Patriots?

falkor

Morgoth Bauglir

Excuse me if this sounds stupid, but what is AMRS?

I agree with shapes that the best part is the opening fight with Carter Wong. Brilliantly shot and choreographed. But when he gets to Chang Yi I remember the fight ending too quick.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shaolin_Fox

Asian Movie Restoration Society (AMRS) is this group in FLK forums that encourages fans to take part in developing and producing some rares and uncuts. They distribute them among its members.

I agree with shapes that the best part is the opening fight with Carter Wong. Brilliantly shot and choreographed. But when he gets to Chang Yi I remember the fight ending too quick.

I agree, the opening fight is one of the best in that film. But I guess it would make sense for Chang Yi to kill off Carter Wong's character quickly to develop Chang Yi's character more, and also because at that point in the film Cater Wong was wounded so that would also make sense on why he was killed off quickly. :neutral:

Morgoth Bauglir

Wow AMRS souds really cool. Too bad I'm horrible with computers and don't know anything about making DVDs, because I'd love to be part of that.

Carter Wong does take a lot of damage, kinda Chang Cheh style in that opening. But still even after all that I expected him to give Chang Yi a good fight. But I agree they must have wanted to develop Chang Yi's character there.

Shaolin_Fox

Anyone know if the FLK version is uncut? I've been wanting to get it for a while, but haven't heard anything about it. Anyone?

I have a Mandarin PAL vers 86 mins and a English (Most likely PAL) vers 87 mins both version without first film logo,

Guest Markgway

Yeah, that puzzled me too.

And not at liberty to say?? It's hardly the JFK assassination... lol

I take it these fan projects are in circulation. So can anyone actually tell us if there is one for The Ming Patriots?

Shapes - does your Mandarin version come with subtitles?

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee

The AMRS print is uncut, letterbox, sub and dub. It is unfortunately not in circulation due to the way the AMRS operates. This has been discussed before and created a bit of fuss, so the projects are not discussed much to prevent any ill feelings.

However, Morgoth, all, the AMRS is open to all to join although you need to be voted in unanimously by the existing members. You do not need to have DVD authoring skills; potential members need to display commitment and also have something to contribute in terms of alternative prints / soundtracks or original trailers, or the willingness to research star filmographies/biographies, or transcribe subtitles. Many tasks and skills are required for each project as the aim is to create the ultimate version of the film.

Shapes - does your Mandarin version come with subtitles?

Yes it Does , fullscreen Mandarin Subs, prehaps I should try do a Project with all the elements as the English print is Excellant quality better than the Groundz zero release, a lot of it is anomorphic so can be unsqueezed. Mandarin track added and subbed, I have an English print from Jordan not sure if it has anything extra in it.

Guest Markgway
The AMRS print is uncut, letterbox, sub and dub. It is unfortunately not in circulation due to the way the AMRS operates. This has been discussed before and created a bit of fuss, so the projects are not discussed much to prevent any ill feelings.

That's fucked up. I guess these are the kind of "fans" who are more into the prestige of owning rare movies than sharing them with others. What's the point of putting a load of work into a project so that only an elite can see it? Ach, I'm wasting my breath as usual.

Does anyone know what is cut from the Revenge of the Patriots version?

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee
That's fucked up. I guess these are the kind of "fans" who are more into the prestige of owning rare movies than sharing them with others. What's the point of putting a load of work into a project so that only an elite can see it? Ach, I'm wasting my breath as usual.

The effort goes in for the members' personal enjoyment, it is not an elite group at all or I would not be a part of it. I understand your frustration but the effort would not occur if we saw the projects being booted by Red Sun etc the next month. It was a group decision and as has been stressed membership is open. If you want to enjoy the projects then put in the effort it requires, if not then you're losing nothing.

Guest Markgway
It was a group decision and as has been stressed membership is open.

the AMRS is open to all to join although you need to be voted in unanimously by the existing members

That's not quite the same is it? AMRS is an elite in that you need approval to join the club. Though I do understand the desire not to see hard work booted by thieving scum for profit, it's a shame that those with nothing to offer (or even casual fans) will miss out. I can understand someone who's big paid money for film reels and searched foreign lands for materials not giving them away for free... but with these projects aren't we just talking about re-syncing soundtracks and the like? Hardly a big deal. Even if I were a member I would say share to KFC members... but then I understand I might be in a minority here. Anyhow it doesn't matter what I think; you guys have your own rules and are gonna do what you're gonna do...

silver hermit
That's not quite the same is it? AMRS is an elite in that you need approval to join the club. Though I do understand the desire not to see hard work booted by thieving scum for profit, it's a shame that those with nothing to offer (or even casual fans) will miss out. I can understand someone who's big paid money for film reels and searched foreign lands for materials not giving them away for free... but with these projects aren't we just talking about re-syncing soundtracks and the like? Hardly a big deal. Even if I were a member I would say share to KFC members... but then I understand I might be in a minority here. Anyhow it doesn't matter what I think; you guys have your own rules and are gonna do what you're gonna do...

with the amount of research you do/done mark you would have plenty to offer them. give it a go

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee

It's not elite in that there is no status involved and anyone is equally considered for membership. You might be suprised in hearing we're all friendly, happy people that love watching and sharing kung fu films with all fans and having traded and established friendships and trust decided to take it a step further. In an ideal world we would send it out to everyone interested but compromises have to be made for the group to work at all. That's not to say they would never be made available, I'd like to see that happen personally.

The effort that is involved is however much you put in and you get out what you put in. I suggest other people get together and try it and see what they can do, rather like Jamal has done. It'd then be great to see if trades could happen between groups. In the AMRS case it is more than just re-synching, we're talking about sourcing rare prints, cleaning them, splicing in cut scenes, transposing subtitles (or sometimes dubtitles), sourcing original trailers, finding images and creating cover art (preferably from original poster art), writing liner notes and all the other tasks I mentioned earlier. That's what we do but it doesn't have to be so exhaustive, we're lucky to have many talented and committed members.

Linn was one of the founding members and, as he did, we all want kung fu fans to come together for the good of the genre and for everyone's benefit. It is shame that the somewhat exclusive nature of the group could lead to conflict but it is not intended and I hope with time it is accepted and treated as a model for moving forward in a time of little commercial promise.

bruceleeclones

ive got the mandarin subbed version, the german VHS, and the ground zero DVD. None are that great, and are cut. I'd be curious to know the source of the excellent quality english print Shapes mentioned?

Guest Markgway
ive got the mandarin subbed version, the german VHS, and the ground zero DVD. None are that great, and are cut. I'd be curious to know the source of the excellent quality english print Shapes mentioned?

What's cut? :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Archived