How's Ming Patriots?

falkor

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like this one and I'd give it 4/5.

It's without a doubt my favourite Bruce Li film as he isn't trying to be something he is not (Bruce Lee) and puts on a very decent performance. It's Chang Yi and his little snuff bottle that he has a bit of snuff from everytime before cracking heads that steals the show for me.

This one has to be seen uncut as there is so much different footage in various different prints of the movie.

ironfistedmonk

3.5/5, good movie, one of Bruce Li's best with a great supporting cast. The animal cruelty is a bit off putting though.

3.5/5, good movie, one of Bruce Li's best with a great supporting cast. The animal cruelty is a bit off putting though.

Chia Ling kills and guts a pig onscreen. Otherwise she's great to watch in it.

However, the DVD I purchased (I believe it was Ground Zero) was made from a severely damaged print.

:(

It was Bruce not Judy!

I can't spot any extra footage in this that isn't in my widescreen English version that runs for 1:27.

I watched the movie tonight and agree with ironfistedmonk's verdict. Chang Yi puts in one of his best ever performances IMO (5 stars), but overall I would give the movie 3.5/5. Don't get me wrong; it is action-packed and amusing in places, though there are a few dull moments and the plot is a bit basic. Bruce Li's performance was disappointing IMO. The best move I saw him perform was early on in the film when he did a fly-kick. Judy Lee was pretty cool, but altogether the patriots were simply no match for Chang Yi. The old man upped his game a bit at the end, but didn't really deliver. Roy Chiao also fought poorly. All credit to Chang Yi. No way is Ming Patriots a classic, and although very similar in ways, is not up there with Traitorous. Still worth a watch definitely...

mp.jpg

I watched the movie tonight and agree with ironfistedmonk's verdict.

How big was Kuo Choi's role?

Just a cameo or more?

9hCdHlzxl2U

I thought it was a solid movie overall....I did enjoy Bruce Li in it and i thought Chang Yi was excellent as the general....the problem with this has always been trying to find a really nice print...that would make the movie much more enjoyable.

I can't spot any extra footage in this that isn't in my widescreen English version that runs for 1:27.

The full uncut print clocks in at 1hr 30mins 20secs

Guest Markgway

Which release of this is uncut?

I think Ground Zero and Video Asia both put out (dodgy) releases.

That 90:20 time is NTSC or PAL?

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

4.5 I give it.

The print I saw was faded also. Maybe it was a Groundzero or a Wutang Clan version I saw.

I also liked Bruce Li (without the Bruce Lee cat calls) in this.

Chia Ling & Chang Yi & Beardy were all terrific IMO.

A classic..

GD Y-Y

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee

Let's face it, this is a Chia Ling and Chang Yi film. Old Brucey is pretty much mute in this, although plays a decent enough supporting character, so it's unfair to ask if it's one of his best, he is not even the star!

It's a good one, I'd give it at least 4/5 as Judy does her thing so well, but I could have done without the pig scene as well...

silver hermit
Glad to know the movie is good... but can anyone answer my question?

AMRS you won't see it sadly unless jamal does a custom job or someone else

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee
AMRS you won't see it sadly unless jamal does a custom job or someone else

Yeah, all released versions are shredded, hence the custom treatment.

Mark - it's good enough to watch cut anyway, don't be put off by missing 5 minutes or so mate.

Guest Markgway

Fabhui claimed that the uncut run time was 90:20. Which version is that then? If anyone has it I'd be up for a trade. I'd much rather see the film uncut. 5 mins is 5 mins. Whether it be extra action or character/plot development. I guessing that the cut version is the more common Revenge of the Patriots dub?

silver hermit
Fabhui claimed that the uncut run time was 90:20. Which version is that then? If anyone has it I'd be up for a trade. I'd much rather see the film uncut. 5 mins is 5 mins. Whether it be extra action or character/plot development. I guessing that the cut version is the more common Revenge of the Patriots dub?

i answered you but i don't think anyone will trade it

Guest Markgway
i answered you but i don't think anyone will trade it

I didn't understand your post and why wouldn't anyone trade it?

Archived