Who, if anyone, owns the rights to these Jet Li movies?

The Running Man

Wow, I need to read these forums like everyday. Today, I was at the mall (Mall of America) and picked up Dragon Fight (widescreen, English dub). The company is HK Video (Taiwan) Co. Underneath the company name is a Singapore address complete with phone and fax #'s. All the text on the cover is in English. The running time is 90 mins (IMDB gives an Argentinian running time of 96 min).

So what the hell did I find today? :o

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chinatown Kid

Yes that DVD was put out by Pan Media, the guys that copied Celestials remastered Shaw prints and slapped English dubs on them. That address they put on the back of the case with the singapore address is a phoney I believe....

Guest WuxiaFan
Ok, so does anyone know if anyone in the US owns Last Hero in China or Kung Fu Cult Master?

Running Man,

Buena Vista Hme Enertainment owns the North American distribution rights for THE LAST HERO IN CHINA. I just ordered the HK version [universe] from DDDHouse.com-they will ship it to you:

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=478

I don't know who owns North American distribution rights for KUNG FU CULT MASTER, but again, DDDHouse.com has it:

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=3767

If Buena Vista owned the 'Last Hero In China' rights, then it's likely Navarre will now.

Possibly the same for 'Kung Fu Cult Master'.

I tend to see Last Hero in China used in a lot of those crappy Jet Li 4 packs you can get at Best Buy and other places. My guess is that Last Hero in China is actually a public domain title. The same goes for Kung Fu Cult Master and just about any Hong Kong film you can get on a billion cheap DVDs at Best Buy and other places.

I'm probably wrong though.

I tend to see Last Hero in China used in a lot of those crappy Jet Li 4 packs you can get at Best Buy and other places. My guess is that Last Hero in China is actually a public domain title. The same goes for Kung Fu Cult Master and just about any Hong Kong film you can get on a billion cheap DVDs at Best Buy and other places.

I'm probably wrong though.

Yes, you are wrong :quiet:

Those crappy/cheap DVD sets you see at Best Buy are all bootlegs.

Is there another name for those discs? You would think if they were legitimate bootlegs, those companies would have been shut down. I'm really interested in learning more about this practice.

EDIT: So I found an old thread about this very topic and it was very informative. Essentially these films are out and out real bootlegs. Nothing more, nothing less. It's so very odd.

Archived