HKL Prodigal Son question.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Is the HKL disc worth double dipping on? Its arguably (in my head) my all time fav classic kf flick. I had the Universe, got rid of it after I picked up the Fox dvd. Is the image & audio quality superior enough on the HKL to warrant another purchase? How are the subtitles, hopefully not dub-titles like Fox. How are the extras as well?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chopsocky

Trust me the HKL is the copy to own, Original and dub audio, remastered and correctly translated subs, Perfect remastering, anamorphic widescreen and a fantastic audio commentary by Bey Logan-probably his best!

Interviews with Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao and Frankie Chan make this the definative copy,

Plus there is a nice original trailer and wing chun text piece to boot!

Guest killer meteor

The image isn't as good as the Fox - it's a bit squished - but the audio is much better and the subs are good. It's not quite the original mono - there's some very brief and vague new foley in crowd scenes - but it's the best disc avaliable.

Guest The Running Man
correctly translated subs

They aren't. The Universe DVD (which I believe uses Tai Seng's retranslated subs) has a far better English translation.

Guest killer meteor

Yeah, HKL has a tendecny to revert to English slang - I'm not sure "f*cking queer" is tradtional Cantonese!

Guest The Running Man

It's not really the slang thing so much as it's just not that accurate period.

They've become far more consistent with high quality translations after that era of releases.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Purchased it last night. Should of got it years ago, dont why I waited so long. Now watch Dragon Dynasty release a R1 2 disc ultimate edition! :lol

Archived