Black Dynamite (2009)

CrazyFrog

• Administrator
KFB: Believe me I got all the jokes and everything, I thought it was going to be more like "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" I thought that was was funny as hell. The jokes while there were a lot of one liners it just fell flat, nothing I really would wanna watch again. My Girl said the samething her words were "This Movie is Wacked"! So I'm not the only one who felt this way.

Oh, okay. :squigglemouth:

Guest WuxiaFan
OK I'm going to be the Outcast here and just say I thought this movie Sucked Big Time! Yes it did have some funny one liners and I understand its a tribute to the 70's Blaxploitation films. But I really thought it was going to be better than this, and I really like MJW I think he is a very good actor and a very good Martial Artists. But if this is being compared to the Airplane/Scary movie type of comedies that are coming out, than to me it fell flat on its Ass! You just had to laugh at the stupid one liners it had, but to hear every praise this movie WOW that is a little to much! And I was looking forward to seeing this movie, but it turned out to be a total flop.

At least you can CHIBA UP and tell us what you think, though. But I completely disagree with you! WOW, man, I can't believe you can't dig it...

:khi1b:

My favorite of '09. Non-stop laughter from me. It's definitely funnier to those of us who've gone out of our way to see some of the more offbeat blaxploitation movies of the early 70s. Meaning you've actually seen more Rudy Ray Moore movies than DOLEMITE (DISCO GODFATHER, PETEY WHEATSTRAW) and every Jim Brown movie you could find (and the movie takes a lot from SLAUGHTER and THREE THE HARD WAY).

The scene with the white doctor condescendingly lecturing Black Dynamite about how crime fighting was going to kill him just split my sides. It's a caricature I could swear I've seen in a dozen of those movies.

I'm sorry I cannot for the life of Me see how all you Guys really liked this movie. I know the 70's Blaxploitation films like DOLEMITE even though I didn't see all those I did see some of the others like "3 The Hard Way" & "Foxy Brown" and a few others. I really had high expectations of this movie but it just sucked in my opinion. I will admit it did have some corny one lines but that was it. But that is why you gotta love the fact that everyone has there own opinion & taste about this movie.

• Administrator
I'm sorry I cannot for the life of Me see how all you Guys really liked this movie. I know the 70's Blaxploitation films like DOLEMITE even though I didn't see all those I did see some of the others like "3 The Hard Way" & "Foxy Brown" and a few others. I really had high expectations of this movie but it just sucked in my opinion. I will admit it did have some corny one lines but that was it. But that is why you gotta love the fact that everyone has there own opinion & taste about this movie.

I can't believe this shit. "The Man" done got to you Bro! I'll bet they slipped flouride into your water supply! That's the only logical explanation! :xd:

Kidding of course! :bigsmile: I feel the same way as you- I love hearing different opinions about movies. Otherwise, why come here? I can sit all by myself stating my opinions out loud, if my opinions are the only ones I care about, right?

KFB: I work for the Man! lol

But the Man shoulda thought twice about this movie when he made it. Listen I don't even think this movie lasted in the Theaters that long, it was almost a straight to DVD type of movie. Now I can see why! :cry:

It was given primarily midnight screenings, because Sony figured it would only appeal to cult audiences. It got mostly good reviews, including a rave review from John Kricfalusi (Ren & Stimpy creator, and he hates everything new) and science fiction writer/former Black Belt magazine columnist Steven Barnes. Humor is subjective. I don't find most sitcoms or Jim Carey or Dane Cook funny, but many do. BLACK DYNAMITE is extraordinarily fucking funny.

Again there were funny one liners, but the way you Guys make it sound is that this was the greatest comedy ever made! Now we all have different tastes in comedies and I love all kinds ex: slapstick, raunchy just about anything. But this isn't one of them. I really was disappointed just about how stupid this movie really was, and I knew it wasn't to be taken serious before anyone asks it just didn't do anything for me. Maybe I have to watch it again somehow.

I can't wait for this!!! One of my fav's from 2009.

So funny and proved Michael Jai White has terrific comic timing along with being a great actor and martial artist!!

This movie sucked. There wasn't anything funny about this movie. It was dull and boring. And yes your girl was right....this movie was straight wack!

MJW was not funny. The one liners, purposely made gaffs and all that was stupid.

What was so funny? I mean I am a regular comedian. I crack jokes all the time. I have a good nature and can usually see funny in things. Just not this movie.

I mean Tommy Davidson, who had more then small part in this movie...was not even funny.

To each his own, but seriously you must have seen a different cut of this movie than the one that me, Daisho and his girl saw.

The movie get the giant zero ova here! :mad:

kungfusamurai

I haven't seen it yet, but I did like the clips I saw on youtube. I would rather see it in the theatre than invest $20 something on a DVD I might not like.

One thing we can probably agree on, the soundtrack is pretty funky. I'm talking about the one with all the 70s library funk by names like Alan Tew and Brian Bennett

mvnsDRkKxCg

ECqo699tCRI

yBMG5tn7UfA

k--BAkyPG5k

KFS

GregRodgers: Thank You! Finally someone agrees with me on this! Straight Up Super Wacked film!

KFS: The funniest parts are what you see on the trailer that its!

Guest WuxiaFan
This movie sucked. There wasn't anything funny about this movie. It was dull and boring. And yes your girl was right....this movie was straight wack!

MJW was not funny. The one liners, purposely made gaffs and all that was stupid. What was so funny? I mean I am a regular comedian. I crack jokes all the time. I have a good nature and can usually see funny in things. Just not this movie. I mean Tommy Davidson, who had more then small part in this movie...was not even funny. To each his own, but seriously you must have seen a different cut of this movie than the one that me, Daisho and his girl saw. The movie get the giant zero ova here! :mad:

GregRodgers: Thank You! Finally someone agrees with me on this! Straight Up Super Wacked film!

Actually, I think you 2 just don't fucking get it!

:yociexp91:

:wink:

It was perfectly executed 1970's style movie. Sets a 10. Purposely bad acting a 10! Music a more than Perfect 10. Jokes and funnies...non existent.

You say I just do get it? Oh....dropping a boom mic like what happened in some Jim Brown movie back in the 70's was supposed to be funny. Like I was supposed to roll on the ground and say....LOLOLOL....just like they did in the 70's? Or....wow that was so funny how BD kicked in the door and the old lady went flying? Or how when the "dolemite"

dude was fighting...and..the dude who he was fighting changed?

No...that stuff simply was not funny. Maybe funny to someone who never watched 70's movies in the past or will laugh at just about anything, but not me.

I totally get what MJW was trying to do. He was trying to spoof and show how bad the acting was, how bad the editing was in the 70's and clearly spotlight and exploit those things and call them funny. However, he merely created another bad 70's movie.

Therefore, you are totally wrong. We got it....that ish is just not funny. Not one bit.

This movie opened in 70 theatres and mainly had midnight showings because the studio knew the masses would hate this movie. It is a niche movie for cult heads. If this movie opened wide it would have tanked and been considered a huge bomb.

Sony banked on word of mouth to sell this garbage. Its people like you WuxiaFan who like these kinds of movies who "got" it and find this nonsense full of humor. Check it..this movie made $273k in theatres. Meaning it only sold to those who thought this type of ish would be funny.

To each his own. My opinion your opinion....however.....there is no need for name calling.

Peace...

GR

John Kricfalusi's review. He created Ren & Stimpy and knows a thing or too about comedy:

This is an actual "no-filler" movie. It's funny from beginning to end! I didn't spot a single executive theory in it.

The writing is funny (both plot and dialogue), the acting is funny and the direction is funny. Even the music is funny. And it's really clever. It's absolutely full of inventive custom touches in the actions, editing, actors' expressions and gestures. I couldn't believe it.

Seriously, whoever wrote the dialogue is a genius. This is real writing with skill, observation and a point of view.

The lead actor, Michael Jai White is perfect. He plays it straight but in a very funny way and has lots of other talents besides acting - which the producers are smart enough to show off to us.

It's eerie. I got all nostalgic for the 70s - which I hated living through. This felt even more like the 70s than the actual 70s and made fun of all the right stuff.

It also bravely brought back ethnic humor - which has been banned by white liberals for decades. It gets away with stuff no one else could today, making fun of white people, blacks and Asians all - oh and it's sexist too. In short, it's honest and made for real life humans - not focus groups and pseudo-psychologists.

Violence, some grossness but not for the sake of making you sick. It even makes fun or orphans which I didn't think anyone could do. The most amazing thing is that it breaks open a pile of modern taboos, and does it in a completely upbeat happy way.

I'm so used to modern entertainment going straight for the ugliest feelings possible, but I have to say this really lifted my spirits. I hope it makes a pot of money and wakes up Hollywood. I wish cartoons were allowed to be this inventive and whimsical. I'm super jealous.

But it does have some funny animation by my friends at 6 Point Harness.

Not for kids, unfortunately. Go see it and tell me what you think. Support non-filler entertainment! We're gonna go see it again and bring all our curmudgeonly pals.

• Administrator

All kidding aside- humor is like horror- it's a really subjective thing. For instance, when I saw the film ARACHNOPHOBIA, I thought it was a fun little flick, with a couple of creepy scenes, and a few jarring scares. However, my friend that went with me to see it, is deathy afraid of spiders. He was scared out of his freaking mind, and screamed out in absolute terror many times.

CADDYSHACK is one of my all time favorite comedies. But despite having a very similar sense of humor, and being an extremely funny woman herself, my wife does not find CADDYSHACK to be funny at all. Nearly a deal breaker! :xd:

Now I wouldn't claim to be an expert on the Black films of the 70's, but I've seen way more of them than the average person. For me, this movie totally worked, made me laugh like crazy, and I loved it. We all have different opinions on it, and that's mine. :nerd:

For those that dig it, the BLACK DYNAMITE DVD... awesome! 24 minute making of, a great Comic Con panel interview, deleted/extended scenes (a few funny things here and there, no great shakes), and a terrific audio commentary. I watched it twice already!

KungFuSamurai- I suggest you rent it before buying since it's getting such a polarized response. :bigsmile:

KFB: I loved "Caddy Shack" one of my all time favorite movies now that is a classic comedy!

GregRodgers: Again I agree with you 110% and I don't think WuxiaFan meant anything bad with his comment. Everyone has there own opinion about movies and Me & You feel the same way about this movie SUCKED! Nothing funny just lame ass jokes!

kungfusamurai
It was perfectly executed 1970's style movie. Sets a 10. Purposely bad acting a 10! Music a more than Perfect 10. Jokes and funnies...non existent...

GR

I hear ya. That part about hyping it, that was something that I didn't like about the Blair Witch Project. Everyone (well, critics anyway) was saying it was scary and the best horror film ever made, and I was like 'what crap'. The only effect it had on me was a headache.

The way you describe the film, it reminds me of the Mad TV sketches that spoofed Dolemite and all those blaxploitation flicks. There was probably about 1 minute of them that was funny and the rest was lame attempts at making bloopers, bad continuity, and bad acting funny. It's only funny when you're NOT TRYING.

Black Dynamite probably would have been better if they had just transposed a 70s guy into 2009 streets, like The Brady Bunch movie. Now that was bizarre, but funny.

KFS

kungfusamurai

KungFuSamurai- I suggest you rent it before buying since it's getting such a polarized response. :bigsmile:

Definitely. Whenever a movie has love or hate type of reactions, then I try to check it out in as cheaply manner as possible. If I like it, then I invest in a proper copy.

KFS

Black Dynamite probably would have been better if they had just transposed a 70s guy into 2009 streets, like The Brady Bunch movie. Now that was bizarre, but funny.

They already did: UNDERCOVER BROTHER. And it fell apart after a funny first half hour.

Guest WuxiaFan
To each his own. My opinion your opinion....however.....there is no need for name calling.

Hey GR - when you see a post with ":wink:" at the end, THAT USUALLY MEANS SOMEONE'S KIDDING!

My post below with "I think you 2 just fucking get it" WAS A JOKE! Sorry that post came across as a serious slam, but that was certianly not my intent. I can totally dig that you did and Daisho didn't like the movie. It's good that we all have different opinions about different movies. Otherwise these forums would be pretty boring.

So dont' take this stuff so seriously...and again, sorry you didn't get it again! :xd::wink::bigsmile:

Well, I got to see it on Friday and I loved it :) Michael Jai White was perfect in the role of..Dynamite...Dynamite! Ron Yuan and his team did a great job with the action and I loved the look of the film, as if we were watching a real Blaxploitation films. Matter of fact, I was up early the next morning and was so influenced by seeing Black Dynamite, I popped in my VHS tapes of the original SHAFT and BLACK CAESAR. :)

I was shocked to find out the theme song of Black Dynamite was sung by one of my favorite TV actors, LaVan Davis of "House of Payne".