Crying Fist (2005)

Guest Daisho2004

Guest Daisho2004

Has anyone seen this movie it sounds pretty good.

Fresh out of Cannes and making its North American debut, it's , the

long-awaited boxing movie from Ryu Seung-Wan, the director of ARAHAN. Director Ryu brings together powerhouse actor, Choi Min-Shik (OLDBOY), and Ryu Seung-Beom (ARAHAN) to make a movie as invigorating and painful as a punch in the face.

Choi plays a boxer at the end of his run. Middle age hasn't been kind, and he's

been reduced to renting himself out as a human punching bag on the streets. For

$10, frustrated men can pound him for one minute, frustrated women get to whale

on him for two. On the other side of town, rage-junkie Ryu gets introduced to

boxing while in juvenile lock-up. He discovers that instead of beating people up

on the streets and getting arrested, he can beat people up in the ring and get

paid.

Both men are losers, on a downward trajectory: one is middle-aged, the other is

young, but neither are going to make it very far. They are the kind of guys who

don't need any enemies besides themselves. And they both sign up for a super

lightweight fight as their one big break. Which means that they're going to have

to fight each other.

Neither character knows the other, and they don't meet during the movie, but the

director turns the standard boxing movie dynamic neatly on its head. Usually we

root for the underdog and cheer when Rocky beats Apollo Creed. But in CRYING

FIST both men are the underdog, and we're pulling for both of them. With CRYING

FIST, Director Ryu has created a minor masterpiece where everyone's a loser.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Director RYU Seung-wan (Born in 1973)

After shaking up Chungmuro (Korean film industry) with his 16mm relay film DIE BAD, Director Ryu Seung-wan went on to take Korean action films at least two levels up with NO BLOOD NO TEARS. He then secured himself as a commercially successful director through martial arts with a unique comical sense in ARAHAN. CRYING FIST is a moving film about two men who lead rough lives to come up against each other in one great fight and breaks away from his previous works. Life on the edge seen through the honest eyes of two men, and Director Ryu' s very own stylish sense, join forces to create a human drama that tugs on the heartstrings.

Filmography

2000: DIE BAD

2002: NO BLOOD NO TEARS

2003: ARAHAN

not so much a MA movie, but easily a great drama with wonderfully staged boxing sequences. i swear i cried while watching. the korean rocky...beating out champion my a milestone

• Like 1

• Administrator

I love this movie! Great in every way. I was really impressed with the way the two fighters are equally represented- neither being "the one we're supposed to root for". So by the end, I was so invested in what was happening- either way it would have been good and bad!

Did you see the uncut version JJ77? I know the HKL version was cut (worth picking up for the extras though)... can't remember how long my uncut version is off hand. But THAT'S THE ONE TO SEE!

I guess we Irishmen are all born romantics- I may have had a tear in my eye too during this one. Well we do everything with a lot of emotion and passion- be it fighting or loving- so sometimes these movies'll get ya! :cry::cry::cry::angel:

• Like 1

I love this movie! Great in every way. I was really impressed with the way the two fighters are equally represented- neither being "the one we're supposed to root for". So by the end, I was so invested in what was happening- either way it would have been good and bad!

Did you see the uncut version JJ77? I know the HKL version was cut (worth picking up for the extras though)... can't remember how long my uncut version is off hand. But THAT'S THE ONE TO SEE!

I guess we Irishmen are all born romantics- I may have had a tear in my eye too during this one. Well we do everything with a lot of emotion and passion- be it fighting or loving- so sometimes these movies'll get ya! :cry::cry::cry::angel:

Oh damn, i had no idea the hkl version was cut. Whatever was cut, was it significant?

• Like 1

• Administrator

The uncut version I have may be the official release for the film's festival tour, or the Korean version- I'm not sure. But it runs 134 minutes long. The HKL's version is listed on the back cover as 117 minutes. Even with differing running speeds and what-not it wouldn't make a difference of 17 minutes! I'm not sure which scenes were trimmed because I saw the uncut one first. I really loved it, so when HKL released it I bought it. But when I was showing it to a friend I noticed something missing. So I changed to the original disc and that's what we watched. I compared the running times and saw the difference, but I never went through the film to see what was cut. The HKL one has "deleted scenes", and these may encompass all of the missing footage- I'm not sure. What I am sure of is that the "making of", interviews, and all the other extras still made the HKL version well worth buying. But I wish they would have used the longer version of the film. :S It looks so wonderful, and has great subs and audio, but... I think they did the same thing with... was it MUSA? Releasing the shorter version as their DVD release. :l

• Like 1

The HKL is chopped to ribbons and the official Korean release is the way to go!

The Korean movie Champion is also another good Boxing. It tells the true story of Koran Boxer Kim Duk-koo...Great little movie!

• Like 2

Omni Dragon

I got the Premier Asia dvd of for a pound(£1) the other day.

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I got the Premier Asia dvd of for a puond(£1) the other day

Great price! But you should really try to see the uncut version, then enjoy the Premier Asia DVD extras afterward.

• Like 1

Omni Dragon
This film sounds good, mite watch

yeah got to lend if you like? :yociexp44::Ayociexp113:

• Like 1

Chu Liu Hsiang

A good boxing drama but as boxing dramas are not my piece of cake, it'll go to the fleamarket.

• Like 3