Born Of Fire?

falkor

Some interesting films were coming up in HKMDB when I reverse engineered it... many rare films without any posters, stills or anything to go on. For example, there is one film simply called The Hand. I know quite a lot about rares, but I think I need to brush up after that.

• Like 1

The HKMDB identified "Born of Fire" as the IFD version of "Bruce Tuan 7-Promise", which is almost certainly correct since the cast and costumes match. Now, "Bruce Tuan 7-Promise" and another movie called "The Flute Player of Wrath" both credit Ou-yang Hung as director, which looks like a pseudonym since there's no other credits to his name. Since the IFD poster credits "Ulysses Au-yeung", that is, Tsai Yang-ming or Ou-yang Chun, I guess it's safe to say these two were directed by him. One VHS cover of "Shaolin Drunken Monk", which was definitely directed by Tsai Yang-ming, also credits "Ou-yang Hung". @Markgway might be interested.

Edited by Yukabacera
  • Like 3

On 3/23/2019 at 2:17 PM, Yukabacera said:

The HKMDB identified "Born of Fire" as the IFD version of "Bruce Tuan 7-Promise", which is almost certainly correct since the cast and costumes match. Now, "Bruce Tuan 7-Promise" and another movie called "The Flute Player of Wrath" both credit Ou-yang Hung as director, which looks like a pseudonym since there's no other credits to his name. Since the IFD poster credits "Ulysses Au-yeung", that is, Tsai Yang-ming or Ou-yang Chun, I guess it's safe to say these two were directed by him. One VHS cover of "Shaolin Drunken Monk", which was definitely directed by Tsai Yang-ming, also credits "Ou-yang Hung". @Markgway might be interested.

That all adds up.

Nice detective work. 

I found one additional credit for this film.

Black Panther (1986)

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=15362&display_set=eng

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Markgway said:

That all adds up.

Nice detective work. 

I found one additional credit for this film.

Black Panther (1986)

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=15362&display_set=eng 

Yes, it seems plausible that that might be him as well, although the given name is different. I think he went back to using his real name in 1985 or so.

• Like 1

AlexanderFu

Hello! I was looking for info on

Flute Player of Wrath and found my way to this thread. I have a crummy version of it from a bad VHS transfer, it has some very bad cut off subs in white (English/Chinese) and yellow hard subs over them (Japanese). Just curious, does anyone knw much about this movie? Any hope there will be a better copy some day? I really liked it

and could follow well enough despite the cut subs, but it's really good - too good to be only in this horrible shape.

The whole movie is on you tube for anyone interested, same VHS copy I have. I guess we can hope....;)

Flute Player Of Wrath (1981) - YouTube

Edited by AlexanderFu
  • Like 2