Men From The Monastery

4everFuSheng

4everFuSheng

lovely! includes original trailer. only in Mandarin, though the back side of the cover states both Mandarin and Cantonese. check it out!!

Guest jmungus

i kind of prefer it to disciples as well, but being as objective as i can, i`d say "disciples" is the 'better' movie.

some sequences in "monastery" feel rushed, transitions were not being executed as smoothly as they could have been.

(from my pov) one major flaw about CC`s direction would be this 'episodic' type of structuring the plot, which can be quite anticlimactic at times & is less involving as a result.

"disciples" is tighter in that regard, compared to "monastery" and in general.

since half the scenes from "monastery" seem to have served as blueprints for scenes in numerous other martial arts goodies (from the late 70s to the mid 90s) and its a great fun flick in its own right, plus the great action and locale for the showdown (totally love the look and vibe of that old abandoned temple), im still partial to "monastery", but who`s comparing anyways.

ps: i kinda disliked "disciples" in the past, probably due to the relentless cutting (like 25-30 mins !?!!) and the bad video quality of my old copy, that doesnt do the fine art and stage design of the movie any justice, makin this stylish and beautiful movie look like just another cheapo.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Just watched for the first time. Now probably my favorite Chang Cheh Shaolin flick. Deffinitley the most unique of all of Cheh's Shaolin films. Alot of the same storylines and characters as the other films. Just the way the film was shot was totally fresh to me. Main title not showing up until an hour into the film. The three seperate mini-storylines introducing each character. The camera tricks he threw in during the last 30 min were also very cool. I thought the action scenes in the first 3/4 were handled well and entertaining. But I thought the finale was simply awesome. Especially Chi Kuan Chun's sequence at the end :eek ! My only complaint is that it seemed like the shot alot of unnecessary scenes of chartacters walking to and from locations :lol (mainly second half). Overall a very unique kf film viewing experience.

Guest killer meteor

The ending is good but overall I found it a bit of a slog. And that wooden men alley is pathetic - even Lo Wei did better!

Guest kungfusamurai

Did wooden men alley really exist, in the sense that they were wooden robots or men dressed up in wood suits? I thought Men From The Monastery was driving home the point that the description of alley and 'wooden men' was a metaphor, not literally an alley with men or devices made of wood that monks had to fight their way through.

KFS

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
And that wooden men alley is pathetic

I would agree that the wooden man alley was not as elaborate or creative (ie booby traps, mechanical men, mazes, ect...) as seen in MANY other films. It was only a very small part of the film though, lasting only about 5 min. And I thought the fights within the alley were pretty good.

Guest peringaten

I honestly think that individual sequence one of CC's great triumphs. The style and verve of it all; the framings and camera shots; the use of light, dark and shadow within the stages. Iconic imagery. Fu Sheng, hung gar. Burnt into my retinas. I don't think kung fu filmmaking gets better personally. A bit of realism; great choreo wrapped up in pure visionary fashion with a fantasticly simple yet deep stylistic clarity. CC at a creative peak; man do I love this sequence.

Guest kungfusamurai

Well, if we're going to complain about a badly done wooden men alley, what about a film that didn't even have one! 36th Chamber of Shoalin not only was missing the wooden men, it didn't have the part where the monk carries the hot urn with their forearms, which get branded, to the monastery exit. Unless that was a different branch of Shaolin Temple.

KFS

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
36th Chamber of Shoalin not only was missing the wooden men, it didn't have the part where the monk carries the hot urn with their forearms, which get branded, to the monastery exit.

LKL probably wanted to stay a bit closer to (what may have been) reality than most directors.

Guest stormybman

Wooden Man Alley was for those leaving the temple, and it was a trial to the death... 36 Chambers of Shaolin depicts San Te being SENT out of Shaolin by way of the Chief Abbot. He was not escaping or leaving indescriminately.

P.S. the alley did exist and many of the heroes depicted in Chang Cheh's films fought their way out of the temple. :)

I have come for the revenge of my master, this doesnt concern you, so I'll allow you to leave...

Guest teako170

Sorry. Little late on posting but just watched this....

I have to say that this might be the WORST of the Shaolin Series flix. Now I realize some might feel that the individual mini-movies of the three main figures might be unique but the division of the narrative line made this one sloppy mess.

If the three first acts had more of a rhythm to them, yes, it would have been interesting but they seemed to muddle along at an awkward pace - never allowing the viewer to bond with any one actor.

It was only in the fourth act did the movie take on an actual cinematic feel with stylish editing, genuine drama, a score and most importantly... allowed the viewer to finally become engaged with the characters on screen.

Its almost like CC shot the last act, realized he didn't have a long enough film and decided to slop together 3 mini-flix onto the beginning. He then could sit back and laugh to himself because in thirty years, film critics would praise this picture for breaking with the normal conventions of the cinema.

Oh, QT would be soooo proud. :\

Guest Mantis FIST

This is by far the best Cheng Cheh shaolin film, imo! I was so happy when celestial finally released it! Bout time this film gets some props on the board!!

Guest teako170

Ack! You guys are smoking something funny. ;)

Shaolin Temple...?

5 Shaolin Masters...?

Farrrrr superior.

Heck even Showdown At Cottonmill (not a true CC SS film but sorta, kinda) beats ths flick.

Guest Mantis FIST

teako you are the one smokin somthin. There are more yeahs, than nays! So there!:P

I just have always thought this was a really cool movie! I actually thought 5 shaolin masters was lame!

Guest Markgway

Cottonmill isn't as good as any of the Chang Cheh Shaolin films. For years it was overrated due to its rarity. Now people can see for themselves.

Guest stormybman

MFTM is a phenominal film. It's told in flashback to present form to introduce the main characters, who at the time of this movie had not really been portrayed on film with any serious study. Each actor really exemplified their roles with their own personality, particularly Fu Sheng as Fang Shi Yu, and Chen Kuai Tai as Hung Hsi Kwan. They are most remembered for their performances in these roles.

The film is rough around it's edges, and groundbreaking as far as Kung Fu ensemble films go, however, you do care for it's characters, and that build up to the finale is great.

We must appreciate these films knowing how far they've come and our current crop of MA films how far they are from being nearly as good. :)

"Will you tell me what Teacher died of..?"

What are your opinions of this movie? Quite weak? I don't think it featured any animal (or proper kung fu) styles?

Heroes Two question: apart from Tiger and Crane, were any of the other Hung styles--seen in the short introduction film--used in the movie? I seem to recall Snake and Leopard/Panther/Jaguar + others.

I noticed Hung style in Heroes Two, but not Men From The Monastery. And in Heroes Two the only Hung routines I spotted were the Tiger and Crane, hence going back to my original questions.

Killer Meteor
No expert on styles... but I liked the film (and Heroes Two for that matter). Most of Chang's Shaolin Cycle were above average.

I think Five Shaolin Masters and to a lesser extent Heroes Two were the only ones that really stood out. The rest kinda fall flat for me