What's up with Dragon Dynasty?

bobo

probably too much lol

unless they would participate as part of their hobby and not for making money.

I would think that being fans who've both built their careers off these movies you would be right. I did enjoy the RZA's commentary on 36 Chambers but I have no idea why there is live concert footage of the Wu Tang Clan on the DVD, I like the Wu Tang, even like that song but the live versions sucks and doesnt belong on there.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have my copy of KING BOXER handy, so I can't go and check and see how they referenced FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH on the DVD case. If they'd given it a more prominent mention (say, on the cover in big letters), they would have been able to reach kung fu fans who remember FFOD, but never knew its original title, KING BOXER. I'm thinking of the many kung fu fans from the old days who loved the films but were never big enough fans to come to boards like this.

i have to agree that DD could have picked a better four titles than they did. it would not have mattered as much if they were going to release say two titles a month like everyone believed they were. out of the first four i would have kept 36TH CHAMBER and KING BOXER--maybe they should have used the more recognized names as MASTER KILLER and FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH. i then would have added titles such as FIVE VENOMS-KILLER CLANS -AVENGING EAGLES or EXECUTIONERS FROM SHAOLIN. they could have thrown in a few rares like INVINCIBLE FIST or FLYING DAGGERS. anyway i hope their not finished because they have to many of the good titles. lets hope that their smart enough to learn from their mistakes

I have to say I thought DD's initial line-up was very well chosen.

There was something for everyone.

Kung Fu - 36th Chamber of Shaolin

Wuxia - One-Armed Swordsman

Comedy - My Young Auntie

Basher - King Boxer

The subsequent two... Come Drink with Me and Heroes of the East are both classics...

There's no pleasing some people....

I agree completely with Mark. If anything, AUNTIE is the lesser of the four, but even then, the fights are excellent and that seems to be the only thing a handful of people here buying them are looking for, cue Mark's last sentence above. These were great titles and at least three of the initial batch had reputations and recognition behind them; ditto for the recent two releases.

The aka of FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH is on the dvd keepcase below the title and you'd think the iconic image of Lo Lieh with palms outstretched would be enough for "fans" to recognize just what was inside.

Where has it been posted that these discs did not sell? I would like to know. Everywhere I went, these discs flew off the shelves rather quickly. I was told they sold well. If they at least move 5,000 units, that's good for a niche market. Besides, they are not targeting JUST THE CORE FAN BASE. That would be an even riskier move if they did.

You don't just want the five supposed hardcore fans to buy, you want casual or curious fans to buy your product as well, which is one reason to put critical notices on your dvd covers where applicable. A lot of people put a lot of credence into what critics say about a movie before they buy.

The aka of FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH is on the dvd keepcase below the title and you'd think the iconic image of Lo Lieh with palms outstretched would be enough for "fans" to recognize just what was inside.

QUOTE]

Right you are. I just got home and checked my copy and there's no reason any interested party wouldn't be able to figure out that KING BOXER and FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH are one and the same film.

Never mind. :quiet:

The Aus. King Boxer supposedly corrects a glitch that was on the US dvd. It's the only DD Shaw I haven't tracked down out here so I can't comment. We're a bit behind in Australia though (presumably due to licensing issues). The only DD dvd's I'm aware of out here, are the 4 initial Shaws, The Protector (Tom Yum Goong) and Seven Swords. We used to get HKL's out here (a decent amount of which are still easily available, thanks to the reprints) and companies have licensed stuff like SPL and the Infernal Affairs trilogy. Bey told me they're looking to expand further out here though.

The Aus. King Boxer supposedly corrects a glitch that was on the US dvd.

There's two glitches on the English dubbed track of the KING BOXER DD disc. A couple seconds of audio are repeated on two separate occasions. One occurs immediately after Lo Lieh has his hands smashed. You hear a the effects of his hands being hit after this action has ceased. This error is not on the original language track. I forget where the other one takes place. I mentioned this some time back either on this thread or another and may have listed the other error there.

There's two glitches on the English dubbed track of the KING BOXER DD disc. A couple seconds of audio are repeated on two separate occasions. One occurs immediately after Lo Lieh has his hands smashed. You hear a the effects of his hands being hit after this action has ceased. This error is not on the original language track. I forget where the other one takes place. I mentioned this some time back either on this thread or another and may have listed the other error there.

Ahh. I'll be getting the Aus. dvd soon, so I'll be able to check this if you want.

Ahh. I'll be getting the Aus. dvd soon, so I'll be able to check this if you want.

Oh, no need to trouble yourself, Asmo. I only care about the original soundtrack anyways. The dub doesn't matter to me. I only happened to notice when showing to a friend that has trouble reading subtitles.;)

Oh, no need to trouble yourself, Asmo. I only care about the original soundtrack anyways. The dub doesn't matter to me. I only happened to notice when showing to a friend that has trouble reading subtitles.;)

Fair enough. I'll check it anyway, in case others are curious. When I get the dvd, that is.

Guest Markgway
I'm just saying that if they had even one bit of an inclination that this thing needed to do well to stay afloat they should have rolled out more heavy hitters in the first batch.

Those ARE heavy hitters. I can't imagine what you're expecting them to release instead?

I did enjoy the RZA's commentary on 36 Chambers but I have no idea why there is live concert footage of the Wu Tang Clan on the DVD, I like the Wu Tang, even like that song but the live versions sucks and doesnt belong on there.

It's called cheap publicity.

Didn't you know that everyone who likes Kung Fu also likes Rap?

Exactly. I for one prefer the original titles and couldn't care less what it was called in the US back in the day. To me the film will always be King Boxer.

Where has it been posted that these discs did not sell? I would like to know. Everywhere I went, these discs flew off the shelves rather quickly. I was told they sold well. If they at least move 5,000 units, that's good for a niche market. Besides, they are not targeting JUST THE CORE FAN BASE. That would be an even riskier move if they did.

Just look at Genius Products(joint distro w/ Weinstein Company and have specifically distro their Dragon Dynasty titles) stock prices and financial statements. They are in the gutter. Their Income Statements and Statement of Cash Flows looks like shit. Granted these financials do not highlight specifically what is going on with Dragon Dynasty but those low numbers in all the things I just mentioned & the variety asia article do not bode well for this company.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=GNPIE.OB

Killer Meteor

Since DD titles are being released in the UK and Australia, would it work for them to release titles not already avaliable under the US version of the label?

Just look at Genius Products(joint distro w/ Weinstein Company and have specifically distro their Dragon Dynasty titles) stock prices and financial statements. They are in the gutter. Their Income Statements and Statement of Cash Flows looks like shit. Granted these financials do not highlight specifically what is going on with Dragon Dynasty but those low numbers in all the things I just mentioned & the variety asia article do not bode well for this company.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=GNPIE.OB

Right, but the Weinstein's were already in financial troubles due to a number of box office flops. That awful, shallow imitation GRINDHOUSE movie was to have been their savior and it sank quicker than the Titanic.

That Genius division puts out a lot of crap akin to any number of sci fi channel Saturday night sh*tters of the week so I'm not surprised there.

Does anyone know what's the difference (if any) between R1 and R4 releases of DD?

Reason is because it seems to import the R4 version is almost half the price of importing the R1 so was wondering if theres a catch or something lol

Killer Meteor
Does anyone know what's the difference (if any) between R1 and R4 releases of DD?

Reason is because it seems to import the R4 version is almost half the price of importing the R1 so was wondering if theres a catch or something lol

I have the R4 King Boxer (cause there's a small glitch on the R1) and the only thing I noticed missing was the "Other Films From These Filmmakers" trailer section

Killer Meteor
does anyone know if or when DD will release any more shaws or other old school kung fu movies ?

No, and the prospects of seeing more from them are sadly worsening

I have the R4 King Boxer (cause there's a small glitch on the R1) and the only thing I noticed missing was the "Other Films From These Filmmakers" trailer section

ah kool thanks :D

ah kool thanks :D

Be warned though. The only DD titles I've seen here in Australia are:

36th Chamber of Shaolin

King Boxer (the only DD/Aus title I don't have)

My Young Auntie

One Armed Swordsman

The Protector

Seven Swords

So if you're looking for CDWM/HotE (or any of their other titles) you'll have to go R1.

From the beginning I wondered how well Dragon Dynasty would do here in the States not because of the titles they chose or the extras they released them with with (I think Bey & company have done a great job, certainly treating these movies way better than any other company has here in the U.S.) but because the market for this kind of thing is a small one. D.D. seemed to be by fans, for fans, but are there enough diehard fans into this sort of thing to make it a profitable investment for D.D.?

Archived