What's up with Dragon Dynasty?

bobo

hi---i know i have asked this before but its been quite a while now so here goes. when is DD going to get off their butts and release some more shaw bros movies ? and what about some of those golden harvest angela mao titles ? i mean 2008 will pass with only 2 DD shaws. everyone seems to complain about IMAGE but at least their getting some movies out. if the BCI reports are accurate they will have 5 shaws out in the first 3 months of 2009. its taken DD nearly 3 years for 6. so whats the hold up? did DD bite off more than they can chew or what? if anyone here has some inside info i'm sure everyone else would like to hear it----thanks

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to say it but DD handled the SB releases wrong. They should have released two each month as barebones discs with minimal investment, followed by a couple box sets. $10 SB boots had been flooding the DVD market for years before they got in the game. I don't know if they made any money but Fox did it right with their Fortune Star titles.

TV licensing and on-demand digital distribution are the only way these classics with have a legitimate future in the U.S. marketplace, especially with how the economy is right now and will probably be for a long time.

Shaolin Patriot

Unfortunately, greed got the better of DD. 50+ titles were well beyond the scope of what should have been acquired. They should have only acquired 10 to 15 titles intially, release two per month, then gauge sales on that. At this point, I'd like to see them sell off the remainder to BCI, as DD did with their non-SB Asian films. At least we'd have a better chance that BCI would release them quicker, as well as in standard def and BD formats (presuming their first BD releases will see a profit).

well i said right from the very beginning that they should have concentrated on just getting the movie out there with minimum or no extras--just the original language and of course the english dub. they could have put out a separate extras disc somewhere down the line. i emailed them a few times with suggestions but never got a reply. maybe they should have had a rep tuned into this forum.

thats just great. dragondynasty may soon be finished. what happens to the shaws that they hold the rights to ? i had a feeling right from the start this could happen. they should have quit playing around with trying to pretend they were a major player and concentrated on getting their shaws and other old school classics out.

so I guess there won't be any blu ray releases...

Police story trilogy on blu ray taken from a 4k master source- that would be sweet.

I heard that the sales of the 'old school' kung fu films were far below what DD had expected.

Is there an article with this information? I was told they were selling (or had sold) quite good. Mr. Logan had told me a few months ago that two relevant releases from Chang Cheh were in the works. I would imagine somebody must be making some money off of them otherwise there wouldn't be 4 different companies handling the releases.

Killer Meteor

I expect sales may have been better had they come off the back of Kill Bill, which I suspect was the reason for Weinerstein buying them in the first place

Is there an article with this information? I was told they were selling (or had sold) quite good. Mr. Logan had told me a few months ago that two relevant releases from Chang Cheh were in the works. I would imagine somebody must be making some money off of them otherwise there wouldn't be 4 different companies handling the releases.

I dont think The Weinstein Company is a publicly traded company(at least I cant find their ticker symbol), but I know Genius Products is and their stock price looks like shit right now. Not sure when their fiscal year ends but when their financials are up on sec.gov the public can view them then. Would need to read their footnotes as I dont recall seeing their 10-k listing anything specifically about Dragon Dynasty

Between an erratic release schedule (Above The Law never even came out in my neck of the woods), & quality issues, I'd say that DD shot themselves in the foot. The pricing was also a problem for me. At 20-25 bucks a pop, I didn't feel like double dipping, especially for a flawed disc, & for people who don't know these movies from a hole in the wall, the cost may have been prohibative. I bought them only when they went on sale. I hope they put out more films, but I'm not optimistic. I don't feel like we'll see another wave of Shaw releases from them.

Well if they go under or stop releasing Shaw's they should sell thier distribution rights to another company. I for one would not mind a barebones disc as long as the quality is good and the english dub is nice to have.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Wondered that myself... I order from play all the time, but when there is no box shot and sparse info, im reluctant!

you know whats happening to a company like DD is a small version of whats going wrong with the whole country. you've got a bunch of greedy incompetent desk bound pencil pushers trying to tell us and sell us what they want instead of just giving THE PEOPLE what they want. i mean --what could possibly be so hard about running a successful video company? you just find out what movies THE PEOPLE want and you put them out--a decent copy at a reasonable and realistic price. say what you will but sometimes i think a company like pan media could do better job than some of these overpriced show offs. i don't know about anyone else but i would be more than satisfied with just a good copy of the movie and leave the extras to be put on a separate disc later. i just have never been able to understand all the problems these companies seem to have--for starters celestial has already remastered them--some in HD--so isn't it just a matter of transferring them to our format and adding the english dub--it can't be that hard to do since a number of people right on this forum can do it right at home with their own computers--and people here have proven they can make beautiful cover art as well. i can understand that finding some of the dub versions could be difficult but not impossible--afterall wasn't it people from this very forum that helped IMAGE find some of the dubs-and IMAGE then failed to use some of them(BELLS OF DEATH and HEAVEN AND HELL). seems to me that every time WE THE PEOPLE make a complaint or a suggestion we get a whole lot of double talk and half ass excuses why they got it wrong and why they can't (won't) fix any thing. i know this--if i was running DD the shaw titles would have been number one priority and at least half or more of their shaws would be available already. i guess thats enough of a rant for now.

Killer Meteor

In Australia, these came out under the DD label distributed by Roadshow who handled the Miramax titles I think

kungpowmaster

I did pick up DD's Police Story new on sale for $6.99 at FYE. And I got The One Armed Swordsman for $9.99 at Circuit City. I'll get 36th if I see it.

Chosen

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Manufacturer has discontinued item? The item hasn't even been released yet. To announce they've discontinued a product on the day of it's release. This is a very good arguement as to why boots are acceptable. The lack of respect accorded these films is deplorable.

I agree with mark on the barebones deal but i'm also gonna take

a step further and I hope I don't get flamed for this.

Weak Shaw rollout.

The only movie out of the initial four I feel should have been

in there is 36th Chamber.

Although I LOVE One Armed Swordsmen the action in it is quite

sparse and not anything special.

King Boxer has some history but it's a basher and imo they are an

aquired taste and again a bit dated compared to what would

come later on in the shaws.

The worst offender is My Young Auntie.What is mostly a comedy until

an amazing end.If the average guy who bought this at walmart

doesn't fall asleep or fast forward to the end i'd be suprised.

If they really wanted to make their presence felt and test the waters the initial lineup should have been something like

36th Chamber of Shaolin

Eight Diagram Pole Fighter

Five Deadly Venoms

Crippled Avengers(marketed as Return of 5DV of course)

But nooo Bey Logan just can't get in to the campyness of venom's films

so we have to get mainly LKL with ONE non-venom Chang Cheh film since Mr. Logan has a man-crush on Jackie Chan and they worked together on his favorite movie ever Drunken Master 2.

I remember I was actually a little sad when they initially said they were

going to release their shaw catalogue because they didn't have Masked

Avengers.

Now i'm glad they don't have it.

Just wish MB already did so I could sleep at night. XD

Guest Markgway

I have to say I thought DD's initial line-up was very well chosen.

There was something for everyone.

Kung Fu - 36th Chamber of Shaolin

Wuxia - One-Armed Swordsman

Comedy - My Young Auntie

Basher - King Boxer

The subsequent two... Come Drink with Me and Heroes of the East are both classics...

There's no pleasing some people....

Shaolin Patriot

I agree that the first 6 titles were well chosen. If DD can overcome their setbacks, I'd like to see more of the popular classics in an upcoming lineup - some of the earlier Chen Kuan Tai, Ti Lung, David Chiang films. However, I am in favor of special features. They've got staff in Hong Kong and the US, who can search out ample material. Leave the bare-bone releases to Well Go and Image, who don't seem to favor it.

Killer Meteor

if special features eat into the profit margins, and hence our chances of seeing more titles, i guess we can do without them. I wonder how much it costs for the Rza or Quentin Tarentino to participate on the extras?

if special features eat into the profit margins, and hence our chances of seeing more titles, i guess we can do without them. I wonder how much it costs for the Rza or Quentin Tarentino to participate on the extras?

probably too much lol

unless they would participate as part of their hobby and not for making money.

I have to say I thought DD's initial line-up was very well chosen.

Well good.We know if you were running the company it'd still be

in the shitter right now. :P

I'm just saying that if they had even one bit of an inclination that

this thing needed to do well to stay afloat they should have rolled

out more heavy hitters in the first batch.

I understand the concept of not blowing your whole load

right away with all the best titles but I guess i've already seen

this same writing on the wall with HKL and their sitting on

most of the best stuff they had, that never got released.

(Peking Opera Blues Special Ed where ru?:cry:)

With the economy in the shitter and the state of DD shaw releases

already in doubt i'm not gonna hold my breath for anything more.

W/e pretty good run for 6 movies.

If I had to rank them for US distro of Shaws it'd be right behind MB and

just above Image so prolly #2.

I'm sure the Weinsteins think their wasn't enuff Dragon and coulda shaked things up with-

36th Dragon of Shaolin

Dragon Boxer

My Dragon Auntie

One Armed Dragon

Dragons of the East

Come drink with Me and My Dragons Dawg(All re-dubbed by Rza)

100x sales right there. :nerd:

Archived