Its about time this was *properly* identified!

falkor

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you manage to interpret the title characters? Any chance of pasting them here, so I can try some searches in other database? It looks like a Korean film and some of the films at KMDB have Chinese character titles.

They had this about one of the actors

Nan Kong-Yuan

Mandarin: Nan Kong-Yuan

Aliases: Nankun Yuan

Actor

The Last Woman of Shang (1964) ... Chi Fa

Special Agent X-7 A (1967)

Four Seasons (1968)

Rainbow in My Heart (1977)

The title is 鬼幽棒

That title is obscure and its definitely Korean based just from that one actor. Are any of the other actors in the HKMDB?

text.jpg

It might be the film called "The Great Swordsman" in KMDB, which is currently down, and has a poster that could be used for comparison.

I looked up a couple of the others but nothing came up which leads me to think you're right about it being Korean., although the movie co. is in HK according to the poster.

Guest Markgway

Pretty sure you're right about The Great Swordsman.

http://www.kmdb.or.kr/eng/md_basic.asp?nation=K&p_dataid=01645

James Nam, Li Dae-Yeob, Heo Jang-Gang, and Choe Seong-Ho are all listed on that lobby. Also Yoon Jeong-Hee, I think.

Some names I've found tricky to match - could they be Chinese? Eg. Yu Li, who's listed at the HKMDB in a couple of early 70s swordplays. http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=20211&display_set=eng

EDIT: I'm starting to wonder if those two swordplays aren't also co-productions? Maybe Yu Li is Korean after all?

I'm wondering if The Great Swordsman is a HK co-production?

This Hong Kong company 安達 (An Da or On Dat) is credited on the lobby card. The only film they have listed at the HKFA is another HK-Korean co-prod The Stormy Sun (mistakenly ID'd there as Taiwanese).

Problem is without any sort of listing at the HKFA or HKMDB it looks less likely.

James Nam, Li Dae-Yeob, Heo Jang-Gang, and Choe Seong-Ho are all listed on that lobby. Also Yoon Jeong-Hee, I think.

As just cast?

Some names I've found tricky to match - could they be Chinese? Eg. Yu Li, who's listed at the HKMDB in a couple of early 70s swordplays. http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtm...isplay_set=eng

EDIT: I'm starting to wonder if those two swordplays aren't also co-productions? Maybe Yu Li is Korean after all?

I'll have to take a look at that Quick Swordsman; don't have the other film.

Problem is without any sort of listing at the HKFA or HKMDB it looks less likely.

One would have expected it at HKFA at least. But why the Chinese lobby card of a Korean film? Apart from IFD I'm wondering if there's any other examples.

LKP004576.jpg

Definitely seems like the same movie.

2 items, no idea if they are helpful or not, because I'm starting to get confused myself

1)I'd definitely say that's the same spear in both the lobby card and poster at least.

2) In the description for "Great Swordsman" on KMDb they mention the lead character only has one arm... that guy with the spear on the lobby card looks like he could only have one arm, no?

is it possible that this is a series of films? From the description it almost sounds like Zatoichi... "After they find the enemy, Cheon-hu gets even with him and goes on a long journey without destination again."

Guest Markgway
As just cast?

Cast members, yes.

But why the Chinese lobby card of a Korean film?

Yeah, I was wondering. Can't be many pure Korean films got released in Hong Kong. Shaws released Thousand Years Fox but that's probably in the minority. Could be that On Dat (HK) is a distributor but it's unlikely since they're so unknown.

Archived