The Himalayan and Skyhawk HK DVD Releases

David Rees

Has anyone got these?

If so whats the quality like, probably the same as the other Fortune Star dvd releases (not remastered).

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, pretty much the same as most of the other Fortune Star Golden Harvest releases. Not remastered, but pretty clear, widescreen anamorphic prints. They look fine on my small-ish (30" widescreen) set. I'm snapping up all these Fortune Star releases---well worth it for under $6 each.

I found the quality on both to be just fine, especially for the extremely low price. The Himalayan is one fun movie. Might be my favorite Golden Harvest film.

drunkenmaster

I've got the both of these and I'm looking forward to more classics getting a release. I'm hoping some more of Sammo's early Golden Harvest films will finally get a quality release. In particular I'm hoping "The Shaolin Plot" will get a long overdue release along with "The Tournament". Both are currently only available on VCD, so hopefully the DVD will follow.

Goddamit I bought the vcd without subs of the Himalayan very recently now I'll have to buy again. Bollocks. It is definetely worth it though, that end fight had me in raptures of delight. I've heard a lot about the tournament, has anyone seen it?

drunkenmaster

I've seen it and for me it ranks as one of Angela Mao's best for action and drama. The choreography is from Sammo Hung. The cast includes Carter Wong and Whang In Sik. I've only seen a dubbed pan and scan version, so a nice Widescreen in Mandarin with subs would be a welcome release. :D

I've seen it and for me it ranks as one of Angela Mao's best for action and drama. The choreography is from Sammo Hung. The cast includes Carter Wong and Whang In Sik. I've only seen a dubbed pan and scan version, so a nice Widescreen in Mandarin with subs would be a welcome release. :D

I recently saw The Tournament and The Fate of Lee Khan both looked to be remastered, however, I'm wondering from what sources. The weren't legits so I wonder where they were stolen from? I would love to purchase the remastered prints. The Fate of Lee Khan looked so good, it was like a celestial remaster.

ToothbrushFu

There's a German DVD release of The Fate of Lee Khan, maybe its from that? BTW that DVD has English subtitles. And there were Japanese DVD releases of a lot of Angela Mao films last year, including The Tournament (no subs on those of course).

I screened Himalayan last night and mostly it was great.Chen Hsing in this one was one of baddest villains in KF movie I have yet seen..In near end I hit fwd button though.Maybe I was too sleepy but I think scene where Tan and Angela carried rocks did go on forever.

Also while end fight was good I am not biggest fan of confontration where fighter expert with hands meets master kicker(excluding HWL but he uses hands quite a lot anyway:angel:).

Worthy purchase though and soo cheap.There was massive amount of errors in subtitles:nerd:

Archived