Jackie's Lo Wei pictures...anyone like any of them?

Guest The Running Man

Snake and Crane is still one of Jackie's finest movies...some of his most intricate choreography too....the 3 spearmen fight is a masterpiece of kung fu cinema.

Dragon Fist is Jackie at his most powerful...I love the brooding almost Bruce-like intensity he gives off....and the shapes....he has never looked as roughhouse as here.

Half a Loaf of Kung Fu is still probably the best piss take on Kung fu fliks yet-Kung Pow is pretty close-hilarious nonsense and some really ace Chan handwork....

Yeah I like most of Chan's Lo Wei period...Killer Meteors is probably the only bad one...

instant noodles

Dragon Fist is Jackie at his most powerful...I love the brooding almost Bruce-like intensity he gives off....and the shapes....he has never looked as roughhouse as here.

There was some heavily cut dialogue version floating around...in full lenght this is truly great kung fu movie:wink:

Generally all of these pictures that Jackie did during his Lo Wei era are totally dismissed in books and "experts" of the genre with dubious and ridiculous claims that they were just Bruce Lee-rip offs and totally forgettable films. But for the most part, I enjoy these titles. Dragon Fist, Fearless Hyena, Snake and Crane, Spiritual Kung Fu I think are all fine films.

Anyone else here like any of those titles from that era of Jackie's career?

The four films you mentioned are excellent and Magnificent Bodyguard isn't too bad.

The others; To Kill With Intrigue, Eagle Shadow Fist, Killer Meteors, Fearless Hyena 2 (incomplete) are total bollocks.

EAGLE SHADOW FIST was for Great Earth, not Lo Wei.

Well it was bollocks anyway lol. Just connecting it to that period, I confess to not having watched it for going on 20 years +.

Shaolin Wooden Men, don't think Lo Wei directed that either, wasn't a bad movie - I missed that one out. Think Wei was in charge of production.

Master with Cracked Fingers is another dead duck :squigglemouth: Don't know who was responsible for that but it was horrible!

instant noodles

Master with Cracked Fingers is another dead duck :squigglemouth: Don't know who was responsible for that but it was horrible!

I think the version with new footage is pretty excellent movie. Lots of good fights, I did not care rarescope release. Feels like totally different movie.

Killer Meteor
I think the version with new footage is pretty excellent movie. Lots of good fights, I did not care rarescope release. Feels like totally different movie.

I must say Yuen Siu-tien is great in MASTER WITH CRACKED FINGERS.

Reel Power Stunts

Yes he was. However scenes in films where old men in forests ask kids to strip naked and get in a sack will always disturb me.:eek:

Killer Meteor
Yes he was. However scenes in films where old men in forests ask kids to strip naked and get in a sack will always disturb me.:eek:

It could be worse. In the Jason Pai Piao basher THE KARATE KILLERS, there's a scene where a kid get hot ash dunked on his bare ass by the Manchus, and the viewer sees far too much of the kid's genitals. I mean I highly doubt anyone was a Gary Glitter on that film, but it's rather disturbing that you know, someone came up with such a scene in the first place.

• Like 1

Love him in Drunken Master and Snake in the Eagle's Shadow but everything about MWCF annoyed me. It was an English dub I watched, an eternity ago. Never again!

Just noticed I also forgot New Fist of Fury, which is another box of shit, although Nora Miao always cheers me up! If memory serves Han Ying Chieh also does a nice spinning sweep, or is it Jackie?

The rarescope release was actually the original Little Tiger of Canton movie that was filmed in 1971 and released in 1973, and the quality is horrible and I had a hard time reading the subs.

Master with Cracked Fingers is the 1979 version with new footage of Simon Yuen (Beggar So from the Seasonal films DM and SITES), Dean Shek and footage from Drunken Master.

This version came in two versions; english and cantonese. They both have different ending fights (with both using Jackie Chan doubles) + other random differeneces.

Correct me if im wrong, but I did some research about it a year ago and thats how I remember it.

I really enjoy the english dub version as it was the first old school Jackie Chan movie I got, this was like 12-13 years ago, the good times when you couldnt just log online and get whatever the fuck you want. You actually had work hard and look around to get things, which made you appreciate shit a lot more. Found it in one of the catalogues you get in the mail that you can order everyting from clothing to movies and music, kitchen stuff etc in. It only had like new american movie titles, but on one page randomly it had the rarest and oldest forgotten HK Jackie Chan movie. How random was that.

I dont remember all the Lo Wei movies very well because Ive only seen most of them once, but I cant understand the hate for Fearless Hyena. Great GREAT move. Other than that I remember Shaolin Wooden Men being awesome aswell. That guy sliding over some gelly gets me everytime lol

Killer Meteor

I think FEARLESS HYENA suffers a lot from its awkward dub and excess of comedy relief - the second half is generally excellent though.

I think FEARLESS HYENA suffers a lot from its awkward dub and excess of comedy relief - the second half is generally excellent though.

Yeah that sums if up perfectly mate.

Wasn't this Jackie's directorial debut? I think he was trying trying to inject a lot of the comedy that influenced him, which he wasn't allowed to do when he was just an actor.

Some of the comedy in Drunken Master was hilarious whereas Fearless Hyena falls flat because I don't think Jackie had honed his style. Regardless, Fearless Hyena = good film, great training sequences, great villain and great end fight!

Yeah that sums if up perfectly mate.

Wasn't this Jackie's directorial debut? I think he was trying trying to inject a lot of the comedy that influenced him, which he wasn't allowed to do when he was just an actor.

Some of the comedy in Drunken Master was hilarious whereas Fearless Hyena falls flat because I don't think Jackie had honed his style. Regardless, Fearless Hyena = good film, great training sequences, great villain and great end fight!

It was Jackie's directorial debut though he was assisted by Richard Lo.

Jackie dress as a women was probably the funniest bit.

instant noodles
The rarescope release was actually the original Little Tiger of Canton movie that was filmed in 1971 and released in 1973, and the quality is horrible and I had a hard time reading the subs.

Master with Cracked Fingers is the 1979 version with new footage of Simon Yuen (Beggar So from the Seasonal films DM and SITES), Dean Shek and footage from Drunken Master.

This version came in two versions; english and cantonese. They both have different ending fights (with both using Jackie Chan doubles) + other random differeneces.

l

I was aware of first thing you said, they added new footage to sell movie again.

However is there actually 3 different end fights?original little tiger and 2 for master with cracked fingers???I have seen only master where "jackie" fights kwong young blindfolded, is there another then?

Yes, rarescope release is bad when comes to quality. Another I did not like that much was showdown at cotton mill subs made my eyes hurt. But great movie and pic quality is very ok.

Killer Meteor
I was aware of first thing you said, they added new footage to sell movie again.

However is there actually 3 different end fights?original little tiger and 2 for master with cracked fingers???I have seen only master where "jackie" fights kwong young blindfolded, is there another then?

Yes, there's an alterate "Jackie" vs Kwan Young Moon fight, taking place at night. It's in the Mandarin version on the German DVD.

instant noodles
Yes, there's an alterate "Jackie" vs Kwan Young Moon fight, taking place at night. It's in the Mandarin version on the German DVD.

Thx meteor, I try to get it:bigsmile:

By the way I am waiting to get japanese dvd of movie you picked your nickname. it is now in mr. postmans hands...No english subs in that but someone said quality is really great..

Yes, rarescope release is bad when comes to quality. Another I did not like that much was showdown at cotton mill subs made my eyes hurt. But great movie and pic quality is very ok.

Well, im guessing the original 1971 print has the real jackie fighting at the end and only both the 1979 versions are doubled?

I dont see why Jackie would be doubled in the original print, im not sure if theres any new Jackie Chan footage in the 1979 version except for footage taken from other movies such as drunken master.

Killer Meteor
Well, im guessing the original 1971 print has the real jackie fighting at the end and only both the 1979 versions are doubled?

I dont see why Jackie would be doubled in the original print, im not sure if theres any new Jackie Chan footage in the 1979 version except for footage taken from other movies such as drunken master.

Basically, they shot new scenes with the comedy stars Dean Shek and Yuen Siu Tien, so the Jackie double was needed to interact with them. Plus they created a new "boss" villian played by Kwan Young Moon. There is a clip from Drunken Master during the scenes of the Jackie double training.

Generally all of these pictures that Jackie did during his Lo Wei era are totally dismissed in books and "experts" of the genre with dubious and ridiculous claims that they were just Bruce Lee-rip offs and totally forgettable films. But for the most part, I enjoy these titles. Dragon Fist, Fearless Hyena, Snake and Crane, Spiritual Kung Fu I think are all fine films.

Anyone else here like any of those titles from that era of Jackie's career?

I've liked the ones I've seen - Dragon Fist, Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin, Shaolin Wooden Men, Spiritual Kung Fu, and Fearless Hyena are good, and I've seen them all multiple times.

I've liked the ones I've seen - Dragon Fist, Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin, Shaolin Wooden Men, Spiritual Kung Fu, and Fearless Hyena are good, and I've seen them all multiple times.

I re-watched Dragon Fist the other day for the first time in years - it's really strong stuff. Jackie really could do the serious action characters.

One wonders if Jackie would have gotten off to a better start had they begun with films like Dragon Fist and Snake & Crane where he gets to play great kung fu masters. His first four films for Lo Wei have him being beaten up throughout!

I re-watched Dragon Fist the other day for the first time in years - it's really strong stuff. Jackie really could do the serious action characters.

One wonders if Jackie would have gotten off to a better start had they begun with films like Dragon Fist and Snake & Crane where he gets to play great kung fu masters. His first four films for Lo Wei have him being beaten up throughout!

Those films were all so much better than advertised. Jackie showed good technique in his films like Snake and Crane and Dragon Fist.

Those films were all so much better than advertised. Jackie showed good technique in his films like Snake and Crane and Dragon Fist.

In Dragon Fist, he seems to be doing a lot of Wing Chun but little Dragon Fist!