Question about classics (Drunken Master/IronMonkey,OUATIC)

lillippa328

First of all, greetings, im new here....ok, now thats out the way....a few questions....

Drunken Master 3....is it any good?Is it related to the series? I know my boy Gordon Lui is in there as well as Andy Lau, so I was wondering, is it worth it?

Iron Monkey 2...kinda same as above, is it worth it? Yen is in it right?Did QT do that one too?

lastly,

What is Once Upon A Time In China the Lost Chapters? Ive got 1-5 and am about 2 get 6, but then I see this DVD called the lost Chapters now, so im lost...any help?

Thanks a million

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway
Drunken Master 3....is it any good?

No.

Is it related to the series?

Loosely connected to Part II, I think, through Andy Lau. But it was so lame I don't remember.

I know my boy Gordon Lui is in there as well as Andy Lau, so I was wondering, is it worth it?

No.

Iron Monkey 2...kinda same as above, is it worth it?

No.

Yen is in it right?

Yes.

Did QT do that one too?

???

What is Once Upon A Time In China the Lost Chapters? Ive got 1-5 and am about 2 get 6, but then I see this DVD called the lost Chapters now, so im lost...any help?

Never heard of it. Probably a TV series or cash-in or re-title. There are only SIX official films.

• Administrator

Welcome to the board! :D

In my opinion, DM3 and IM2 are both a waste of time. I'm a BIG fan of Gordon Liu and Donnie Yen (and like Andy Lau a bit), but I'd say those films are still not worth seeing.

There was a OUATIC TV series, so the "lost chapters" could be culled from that (as Markgway suggested). This TV series starred Vincent Zhao (star of OUATIC 4, 5, THE BLADE, and MAHJONG HERO) and had decent wire-fu action, so you might want to see it to compliment your film collection of the series.

ironfistedmonk

Drunken Master 3 sucks, I didn't like the original Iron Monkey so IM 2 is gonna suck balls IMO lol

Dunno about OUATIC, the first 2 are good, after that, meh

I think you're referring to the Once Upon a Time in China: Next Chapters Collection recently released by VideoAsia. There are four titles in this collection, but they are not any relation to the original OUATIC series. The titles are:

Fist from Shaolin - different actor (Wong Kwan) playing the Wong Fei Hung character. Not at the level of OUATIC, but not terrible. Again, Jet Li is not actually in this.

Kickboxer - this time, Yuen Biao grabs the role of Wong Fei Hung. Again, lower budget, but not terrible. Some good fight scenes, as would be expected from Biao. Jet Li is not in this, it has no relation to the original series.

Shaolin Style - documentary about Shaolin Monks. Nothing to do with OUATIC.

In Sword We Trust - Jalisco released this as a stand alone DVD. As far as I've found, no one really knows the actual title (I don't believe its In Sword We Trust). It looks to be a Taiwanese film, probably filmed in the mid-90s. If its the same version as the stand alone one, it is atrociously dubbed to the point where you can't watch. The film itself is again not horrendous, but it steals some scenes from OUATIC.

Wong Fei-Hung (Jet Li's character in the OUATIC series) is so popular in Chinese culture that tons of movies have been made around him. Bootleg companies can pretty much release any of these titles with a OUATIC title attached simply because of their connection to Wong Fei-Hung. Rest assured though, the only true movies in the OUATIC series are the ones you probably already have.

^Yep thats the one

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/large_images/235/204715235.jpg

Kinda dissapointed in the responses, as I was hoping people would say that DM3 and IM2 were hidden gems, lol, but i pretty much expected that they were terrible...

thanks for the help....

o and yea the QT stood for Quinton Tarrentino...(sp?) did he do Iron Monkey2?

51DJ8ARFB7L__SS500_.jpg

If you're talking about this, Tarantino had nothing to do with this or Iron Monkey 2. I think (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) he simply funded for the film to be re-released in the US, thus attaching his name to it... "Quentin Taranitno presents..." etc.

He did the same with Chungking Express and some other of his favorite films that never got a lot of mainstream attention. Other than that, he had nothing to do with any of these films.

shaolin drunkard

stay away from DM3.Movie is so crap it`s about impossible to sell it through bidding site or trade for those who know their kf-films.Best thing in movie is few female fighters who appear in the end,but that is not enough reason to pick it.After you`ve seen it there is 2 choices;trashcan or 2nd hand shop.IM2 I have not seen but after those comments not much interest anymore:angel:

51DJ8ARFB7L__SS500_.jpg

If you're talking about this, Tarantino had nothing to do with this or Iron Monkey 2. I think (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) he simply funded for the film to be re-released in the US, thus attaching his name to it... "Quentin Taranitno presents..." etc.

He did the same with Chungking Express and some other of his favorite films that never got a lot of mainstream attention. Other than that, he had nothing to do with any of these films.

O cool, i didnt know that....thanks

Iron Monkey 2 was made before the first one I believe and has nothing to do with the first, it sucked so bad it never got released then I guess they just put part 2 on there to sucker fans into buying it, avoid it like the plague.

Welcome to the boards btw.

Kickboxer with Yuen Biao is nice,but he doesnt potray Wong Fei Hung in this...

DM 3 is a weird movie but has some nice fights in it...

Guest Markgway
Iron Monkey 2 was made before the first one I believe and has nothing to do with the first, it sucked so bad it never got released then I guess they just put part 2 on there to sucker fans into buying it, avoid it like the plague.

No, it was made a couple of years afterwards.

Iron Monkey is great! One of my favourites of the 90's new wave.

DM3 is trash. However there is some good stuff in it, and it is worth watching if only for the hilarity of a 16 year old public school boy playing the part of the main bad guy at the end!!

Archived