Star Trek (J.J. Abrams - 2009)

AlbertV

Mark Pollard

I just got back from watching STAR TREK. I'd give it a score of 8/10. Great cast with spot-on performances. Excellent special effects. Lots of action-packed combat of all varieties; hand-to-hand fighting, phaser battles, ship battles, creature battles. All it was missing was foam rocks. Very fan-friendly in terms of references and respect for the franchise while moving in a fresh direction as suggested by the previous post.

I was disappointed by the overly hectic editing, especially during fight scenes, the over-used time travel gimmick and the villain. Seriously, the Romulan is an ore miner using a mining vessel to threaten the entire Federation with annihilation while the majority of Starfleet, apart from the Enterprise, is unavailable as usual.

Fun popcorn movie though.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Thanks for the mini-review Mark. My son hasn't seen a single Star Trek film, so I'm thinking of dragging him to see this.

daisho2004

I just got back from seeing this movie and I really enjoyed it, I won't say I'm a huge Trekkie but I grew up watching the series and seen most of the movies. So all in all I really enjoyed this rebirth of this francese. I thought all the characters were spot on! And seeing Leonard Nimoy reprise his role was really cool as well.

DarkWarrior

I saw it and the only thing I want to say is "Will JJ Abams get around to correcting the timeline or will we get films that equals Lost in storylines?"

It all came to light during the cave scene with Older Spock & Kirk.

Guest I Like Elaine

I'll keep this brief and just say the movie is great. I'm a huge fan of the original series, and this was very much rooted in it (in spirit), but wasn't afraid to move forward and forge new ground.

Saw it yesterday, and really loved it. I'm a moderate Trek fan--more so of the original series and first couple of movies rather than the post Next Generation stuff. I thought this was a greatly needed injection of FUN into the franchise. A pretty standard Trek story, but I thought it was very well-cast, with a lot of great performances and a sense of enthusiasm in the direction that I don't think has been in Star Trek for quite a while.

Not a trekkie myself but I enjoyed the movie. It was great considering the quality of most hollywood remakes althought this isn't a remake. Its kind of an alternate reality/prequal thing.

HyperDrive

I'm glad I saw this in the theater as it was fun time. My thoughts were screaming paradox at that one part though.

I was just thinking, not only did Kirk spend a fair amount of time getting punched in the face durring this flick, he ended up haning over a ledge at least 4 times. He must have realy strong fingers.

kungfusamurai

I saw it today and enjoyed it a lot. It's miles better than the Next Generation films that were being churned out during the last decade. I think they've really come up with a great concept to reboot the franchise.

A couple of nagging things (Spoilers, possibly): I was expecting sexual content and gratuitous violence based on the rating, but it was pretty tame. Nothing sexual, mostly just a lot of interracial kissing, if that was the issue for the censors?

Also, I didn't like the way they killed the bad guy. I thought with all that red matter floating around, the ship was going to explode on itself or you'd see the romulan crew getting crushed, but you didn't see any of that. In fact, the Enterprise still had to shoot the ship to kill them. It didn't make sense. Was Spock the first person to ever use the red matter to black hole a star? Didn't the Vulcan's foresee that it would cause the rift in space? And what did the Romulans do for 25 years while they waited for Spock to show up so they could take revenge? Why waste all that time to kill someone when they could have just gone to Romulus and warned them about the future apocalypse?

LOL!

If you ignore the inconsistencies, it's still a fun movie!

KFS

Finally got to see this yesterday. I took a long lunch at work and treated myself to a great film.

I had a blast watching this. The actors were all great, story was good, effects were of course awesome!!

I also like how they managed to get the main characters catch phrases from the show in the movie and not make it corny.

Next up Terminator Salvation!!

Archived