Shaw Brothers on Blu-Ray?

PureKF

Hi All,

Nice to be back. I use to be a member back when this forum was called kung fu fandom.

I've noticed that there are 2 Shaw Brothers releases coming out on Blu-Ray:

Life Gamble

Opium and Kung-Fu Master

*Both are slated for Jan 06-2009 release date.

And studio is listed as Brentwood Home Video.

Any knows if these are legit releases or not?

(Brentwood's past is not good for legit stuff)

Thanks.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes.

Cliff from BCI posts here and their Celestial releases are indeed the real deal. Myself. Magicpoe, and others have contributed materials to these releases and I highly recommend picking them up. The extras on LG alone will be well worth the price.

can anyone confirm if LIFE GAMBLE will include the english dub---the entire dub that is. you know--the missing first four minutes. thanks

can anyone confirm if LIFE GAMBLE will include the english dub---the entire dub that is. you know--the missing first four minutes. thanks

I wondered this myself, hence why I recommended seamless branching to Cliff so that no cutting, space or dubbing is required. Both versions at their correct length and presentation.

Way of the Dragon

I hope they will release more on Blu-Ray its good to see these films in Hi-Def :) especially if you have only seen bad quality versions of them.

Shaw Scope Guy

I am not sure if Blue-Ray will enhance some of these films that were so damaged that Celestial had to blurr out some portions of the viewing area. Blue-Ray won't correct this problem. It just may make it more pronounced.

Killer Meteor
I am not sure if Blue-Ray will enhance some of these films that were so damaged that Celestial had to blurr out some portions of the viewing area. Blue-Ray won't correct this problem. It just may make it more pronounced.

To be honest, their not very sterling looking transfers, these Celestials. They look like flat video often. Blu Ray would be an improvement on the IVLs because they won't have the crummy standards conversions - at least, I hope they don't!

To be honest, their not very sterling looking transfers, these Celestials. They look like flat video often. Blu Ray would be an improvement on the IVLs because they won't have the crummy standards conversions - at least, I hope they don't!

They won't I've seen the HD Masters used on Kung Fu HD. No blurring or anything. Loads of detail and great color. Five Elemental Ninjas was a joy to see the first time dubbed and in HD.

Too bad Amazon does not list the specials on the forthcoming Blu-Ray discs. I have pre-ordered Opium & The Kung Fu Master for the Robert Mak Te-lok interview. What are the specials on the Life Gamble disc?

According to HKFlix, the special features are:

- Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1

- Mono

- New Interviews With Lo Meng, Ku Feng, Lee Yi-Min & Shu-Pei

- Ric Meyers Liner Notes

- Trailers

They also state "Specs/features listed are based on manufacturer's pre-release information and cannot yet be guaranteed. BCI is hoping to also include the original English dub if they are able to locate acceptable source materials, we will manually confirm the contents of this disc once it is in stock/"

I pre-ordered these already. I'm really excited to get them! They were actually the final straw for me buying myself a Blu-ray player. I've picked up a few import discs already, such as "Chocolate" and "Days of Being Wild".

I'm really excited about The 14 Amazons getting a Blu-Ray release on Feb 3 in the USA.

Maybe there will be a new interview with Ivy Ling Po cos Lily Ho has turned her back on her past showbiz life and Li Ching continues to be reclusive due to bad press in the past about her gambling addiction.

I'm really excited about The 14 Amazons getting a Blu-Ray release on Feb 3 in the USA.

Maybe there will be a new interview with Ivy Ling Po cos Lily Ho has turned her back on her past showbiz life and Li Ching continues to be reclusive due to bad press in the past about her gambling addiction.

Is 14 Amazons being released by BCI or Kam & Ronson?

Archived