Your Thoughts On Zatoichi '89?

kungfusamurai

kungfusamurai

I was hoping this film would be an awesome revisit of the Zatoichi saga. As far as I can tell, Katsu took a 10 year break after finishing off the fourth TV series of Zatoichi in '79. I'm not sure if he was sick of doing Zatoichi, or if the public was sick of him doing it.

Possible spoilers:

For me, there were only two nice things about this film, which I found overall to be a bit of a mess - it was the last time Katsu would play the title character before he died a decade later; he was still in top fighting form, although I think one scene used a stand in for him in a distant shot (the one where he fights the monks in the inn).

What I didn't like about this film:

1. His sex scene with the yakuza lady boss, which I found to be out of character, since Zatoichi in the previous films and TV series was a guy who was attracted to women, but he never really had such overtly sexual moments with them (except for that one film where the woman prostitute was 'distracting' him with sex as the yakuza gang gathered to ambush Zatoichi).

2. There were some sword wielding moments by the other actors that had such jarring edits, you didn't even see the use of the sword. You just saw a swing, heard a clang, and then it was over.

3. The fencing instructor with dreads.

4. Katsu's son doesn't do any fighting. From what I've read, he was the one who killed the extra? Did this happen in an early part of the film/filming, so that's why he doesn't do anything for the most part of the film?

5. The english song, what was up with that? I guess this film was designed for international release, not just for a japanese audience? Or did Media Blasters use a different version of the film for the DVD?

6. The ending (not the final battle, but the very last confrontation) was something he had already done two or three times previously in the films and TV series, so doing it again here was just a bit too lame.

It's still worth watching. Even if I didn't like it, other people probably would enjoy it more. It's worth getting for Katsu's sword play, but it was by far the weakest of all of the entries into the Zatoichi saga.

KFS

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never got a chance to watch this one, I'm sure it's better than the newer one which I did enjoy, if anything for the Character, but could of did with out all the cgi blood flying.

saw it a long time ago. was this the one where he dislocates both of that fellows arms and beats him with them? thought that one was kinda lame

KFS: Now I'm going to have to disagree with you on this movie all together I thought this was by far one of the Best Zatoichi movies.

The storyline was very good and the action scenes were some of the best in the entire series. This one was very bloody as well, that was a surprise to see. And I like the part with the Lady Yakuza Boss seducing him. You have to look at it from her point she was attracted to power and Zatoichi even though he isn't really considered a Gangster he really is a bad ass. So to sleep with him she must feel that he is worthy.

And if you have watched a the 1st. 2 Zatoichi movies he had slept with a prostitute in those also, not sure if it was the 1st. or 2nd. movie. And he also had a Fiancee, in another movie.

What I thought would've been a good ending is that I wish he would've stayed with the Children at the End of this movie.

kungpowmaster

I need to revisit this one. Because my 1st Zatoichi was the new(est) one I saw on TV. Which I did like just fine. I had never seen the Katsu ones then. I then did some research and bought the '89 movie on DVD, and I remember really liking it. Since then I have bought a whole bunch of Zatoichi movies.... maybe 13 or so, and I LOVE them. I love these more than Lone Wolf and Cub. I think the acting, the stories, the action, Katsu, is super excellent. The Zatoichi movies I think are super in every way.

I have a question though for those that bought the Zatoichi Box Set of the 1st 4 films, did yours have the DVD inserts? Poster, cards, ect? I bought a few single releases and they had inserts in them, then I bought the Box Set of the 1st 4 films, and they didn't have anything but the disc in them. Great films anyway!

Chosen One

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

This film is actually a good film and the accentuation on how Zatoichi's skills and character aged are both appropriate and fitting. I assume you referring to Legend Of Zatoichi. It starts off with him in jail (or prison) where he's being harrassed.

Also, Zatoichi has had sex with a number of women throughout the series as stated before. Zatoichi Meets The One-Armed Swordsman he has sex with prostitute he's impressed with his skills as well, but it's only with prostitutes, who he'll also turn down as in Zatoichi's Vengeance. He's also stated in certain films to upright women he was going to possibly marry that he has had sex with prostitutes. It is probably about four or five films out of the 26 in the series.

The samurai he cuts down on the hilltop was some great choreography.

The film is a must have for any Zato fan.

It was the 3rd movie he was going to get married to his masters daughter, and confessed to sleeping with prostitutes, where she said to him that was the past and didn't she care. Definitely a different time where this was excepted, but even the West had brothels at this time period.

prometheus126

I personaly loved the film and thought it was one of the pinnacle movies in the series. it was far more melancholic then the other films in the series (barely any comedic moments or characters, and ichi even seemed more sad then ever before.) I think deep down shintaro knew this would be his last zatoichi film he would possibly do, he had already started to develop lung cancer and he was older, couldn't do all the things he once did. it's a bittersweet movie, believed to be his last role as the character.

kungfusamurai

I agree that Zatoichi has had sex in other movies, but not to the graphic extent that occurs in Legend of Zatoichi. For a second there I thought Katsu had thought he was filming a Hanzo The Razor flick! :) My point I guess is that it was just a little over the top for me, not subtle like in the previous films. It felt a little out of character.

But that was just one of many things that made the film overall interesting as a final piece for Katsu's Zatoichi character, even though for me it doesn't really hold up well against the other films in the series based on story or acting or even editing. It's possible he could have done another one, but I think the death of the stunt man on the set put a bad taste in his mouth.

Kungpowmaster, I didn't buy the box set, I only bought the singles. I'm guessing they omitted the inserts for space.

KFS

Guest WuxiaFan

Zatoichi (1989) was probably my least favorite in the entire series. I found the plot dragged and there was not much action. I didn't really feel like Katsu was Zatoichi in this one-agree with KFS.

Archived