Next Media Blasters title...

gorhama

Killer Meteor

Ten Tigers of Kwantung (May)

Black Magic 2 (June)

Then it'll be Flag of Iron and Five Element Ninjas, and that's their first ten done

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used to have a vhs tape, recorded of a Hawaiian channel, that was fully dubbed.

Aahhhhh shit:)! When was it on?

Thanks for letting us know a more complete version exists.

Curiously, was it titled Instructors Of Death or Martial Club? The version you have could be export as opposed to US.

mantis FIST
Aahhhhh shit:)! When was it on?

Thanks for letting us know a more complete version exists.

Curiously, was it titled Instructors Of Death or Martial Club? The version you have could be export as opposed to US.

Not sure when It was on. I am sure it was in the 80's. The pint I had was all washed out. It was really bad! I am fairly confident it was titled instructors of death.

As far as a complete dub, the Jumper version is fully dubbed, except for the lion dance scene at the beginning. However the audio sounds like shyte! :l

Cheers!

Shaolin Patriot
I used to have a vhs tape, recorded of a Hawaiian channel, that was fully dubbed.

That's funny, I had the same "Hawaiian channel" VHS dub for years! Got it through eBay a long time ago. ;)

Shaolin Patriot
I found the DVD at Fry's electronics in Burbank, CA.

Thanks mantis FIST. I work in Burbank, so I'll look for it there!

mantis FIST
Thanks mantis FIST. I work in Burbank, so I'll look for it there!

Cool. I got the only copy that I saw on the shelf. Hopefully you can find it.

Kung Foolery
Once again, sorry for going off topic...

I've only been to Arizona once, but I saw these scorpions while I was there. They're actually really cool looking.

I've never heard of scorpions climbing walls. That's both interesting, and disturbing! :)

What do you mean by "point their stingers downward"? All scorpion's tails naturally curl slightly at the end (over their own bodies), with their stingers pointing downwards. Can you explain?

Ok so I just read this. Sorry for the delay. The scorpions here have very flexible stingers, and can sting down instead of over the top. In other words, they can sting you with ease if they happen to be crawling on you.

Nasty bastards. I work at a hotel and kids have gotten stung by these evil things and get sent to the hospital.

Oh yeah, and sorry to get off topic.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
The scorpions here have very flexible stingers, and can sting down instead of over the top. In other words, they can sting you with ease if they happen to be crawling on you.

Wow, you learn something new every day. I'd never heard of that.

BTW, which hotel do you work in that's full of ambidexterous stinger scorpions so I can be sure not to stay there? XD

As for the thread's real topic... guess I'll have to order MARTIAL CLUB on line. I also have a VHS of this under the title INSTRUCTORS OF DEATH. Now I'm curious how long it is, if it's got the scenes mentioned before, et. I'll have to check.

I got my copy today and excitedly popped it into the DVD player - a few moments later, I ended up beginning my review of it.

I'd be interested in knowing if other versions of 'Instructors Of Death' have the missing segments - it'll confirm whether Lau Sifu's scene was the only one cut.

Guest WuxiaFan
Behind the scenes is just a photo gallery - maybe MB will have it.

Aren't the "behind the scenes" features just a series of on-set stills?

Just got my IVL disc. Yes, both of you are correct. The "behind-the-scenes" is a series of on-set stills and is included in the photo gallery section of the special features. A little disappointed, but ...:(

deathdealer

I spoke with York at the recent Chiller Convention. He announced that 5 Element Ninja, 2 Champions of Shaolin, and KID WITH THE GOLDEN ARM are on their way!

chen lung
Just got my IVL disc. Yes, both of you are correct. The "behind-the-scenes" is a series of on-set stills and is included in the photo gallery section of the special features. A little disappointed, but ...:(

It's an exclusive to IVL, but an otherwise inferior disc compared to MB.

I spoke with York at the recent Chiller Convention. He announced that 5 Element Ninja, 2 Champions of Shaolin, and KID WITH THE GOLDEN ARM are on their way!

Wow! 'Two Champions Of Shaolin' was recently released by Well Go USA, but I'm not sure about any previous rights for 'Kid With The Golden Arm'.

This is quite interesting, I'm curious in knowing more.

Yes Kid with the Golden Arm!! I've been waiting for that. I was going to purchase the IVL version but I'd be willing to wait to get it with original language and the English DUB. I love the voice over during the opening credits....always have!!

Killer Meteor

Strange, considering Two Champions is already out in the States, but since that DVD sucked, I hope this new report is accurate!

Strange, considering Two Champions is already out in the States, but since that DVD sucked, I hope this new report is accurate!

Agreed. Maybe they bought the rights from Well Go USA in hopes of making a better DVD release....which based on their releases so far would be possible.

chen lung
Agreed. Maybe they bought the rights from Well Go USA in hopes of making a better DVD release....which based on their releases so far would be possible.

Absolutely. I hope other titles can be bought!

Shaolin Patriot

Let's wait to see more proof on this - hopefully MB will publish an official announcement soon.

Killer Meteor
Let's wait to see more proof on this - hopefully MB will publish an official announcement soon.

Yeah, I suppose they could always reissue Two Champions unders its US title of Two Champions Of Death

Not a bad cover for Black Magic 2.

I sure hope MB aquires the rights to some more Shaw Bros. I'm greedy I want the original language and the English dubs as well.

I just have Heroes Two, but haven't watched it yet.

Make sure to watch it with Linns commentary track.....awesome awesome track!!!

Guest Markgway
using a quote from HKMDB on the cover lol, they could have posted it themselves :P

That's really scraping the barrel.

I better watch what I say in future on this forum in case I end up quoted on a DVD sleeve. :mad:

chen lung

(My DVD-ROM isn't currently working, hence no captures).

VIDEO: For videophiles, the main attraction of this version is the fact MB have directly sourced from the HD masters (as opposed to requesting a NTSC standard definition version from Celestial's incompetent department) and created a brand-new progressive transfer that eliminates the problem of blended frames and interlacing. However, at 13:32, 17:59, 1:05:00, I noticed very brief moments of interlacing.

AUDIO: I first purchased IVL's DVD a little while ago, but had concerns about the 5.1 soundtrack because of reports that intrusive tampering (courtesy of Celestial's audio team) was present. I found the clapping and 'stretch'-effect sounds very tedious and unnatural. In a prudent move adapted by most US DVD/Blu-Ray distributors of Shaw Brothers films, the original soundtrack is present and we can hear the soundtracks as intended!

Included are Cantonese, Mandarin and English soundtracks (all mono and seemingly genuine). Compared to other Media Blasters' releases, the first thing you'll notice is that there's no 5.1 English option. Unfortunately, it was revealed a little while ago that Celestial didn't have the English dub for this film. The only known English-dubbed source is a version World Northal released during the 80s in the US under the title 'Instructors Of Death' - it cut out the opening hosted by Lau Sifu (as well as snippets throughout the film). As the separate title (before the film begins) explains, the DVD includes the English dub for "archival reasons" (or "dub junkies"), but will occasionally revert to Cantonese with the subtitle track for slates covering content (about 5 passages - the restaurant fight frequently changes back and forth). I noticed at 1:05:37, a line in Cantonese (before reverting to English again) wasn't subtitled (same thing at 1:17:09). Compared with the Cantonese and Mandarin soundtracks (provided by Celestial), it sounds quite different - the music is differently mixed, the track is louder (perhaps Celestial over-filter their audio whereas MB will likely have differently processed the English dub) and at times, you can hear little imperfections, but I'm sure it couldn't have been helped. No-one has reported a version with the opening from Lau Sifu dubbed in English. I had wondered if this segment would have been included in an export version, but there doesn't appear to be any record of releases with an English dub to non-US territories before Celestial acquired the Shaw catalogue. I would have recommended seamless branching to suit this English dub.

SUBTITLES: Media Blasters is the only company commissioning a translation check for Shaw Brothers DVDs. Despite this, it's left other areas to be desired. Long subtitles aren't always tidily divided within the two lines, timings can be too fast (especially if a fast-spoken sentence is split into numerous subtitles instead of conjoining them into one - a problem in itself here) whilst the the excessive usage of exclamation marks become a little tiresome. Another problem is grammar - with Celestial's (and Hong Kong-based) subtitles, the verb structure doesn't always match the events on-screen, hence we're still left with reminders of the previous set's problems. Some of the chosen words are inappropriate ("punk", "sucks").

Another issue is that like 'The Master', Cantonese should be the correct dialect to base the subtitles on, but instead, they're basing all of their Shaws on the Mandarin soundtrack regardless. Also like other releases, they don't transcribe the opening credits. The characters on the theatre curtain at 1:16:22 aren't transcribed. For this film, they haven't used hyphens to highlight different people speaking. A preference is that the subtitles rest on the bar (with exception to when there's two lines, one lies on the bar whilst the other is on the image). I'm aware that MB are doing what they can to their subtitles, but more work was needed. One area I did like is when a subtitle appears, another ones follows underneath in the same instance (sometimes however, subtitles appear in mid-air without anything to appear in the bottom line shortly after). What could be happening is a translator is looking through it, whilst someone proof-reading it is only doing so from a script and not whilst watching the film. One line appears as "You really don't believe do it?".

Summing them up, the translation shows improvement and there's limited success in other areas (tiding up the presentation to an extent), but it's still a little bit lacking elsewhere. I suggest MB proof-read the subtitles whilst watching the film and not just look at a script if they're checking for blatant errors on text. Obviously, all problems are noted above.

EXTRAS: There's no interviews. However, Media Blasters have struck gold by locating an exclusive extra being brought to DVD - an extended opening lion dance (hosted by Lau Sifu)! It's called a New Years Promo. Unfortunately, Celestial (as usual with their policy on film-based content not connected to the main feature) didn't see fit to restore it so we're presented with a flurry of print problems throughout. Fortunately for some, it means it won't have gone through any frame-cutting exercises (to avoid fixing splices or damaged frames) and it is generally sharp and consistent. Analogue white Chinese subtitles are at the bottom, whilst a set of newly translated yellow English ones are overlaid. This segment features Master Lau speaking Cantonese (a different dubber from the main feature) and lasts 5:11. I noticed that on the last frame, there seems to be a glimpse of the Shaw Brothers ident - suggesting it was spliced onto the cinema print of another film showing at the time.

In the Martial Club Trailers section, the original (unrestored) Mandarin trailer is present, whilst a counterpart Cantonese one isn't. There's no dialogue or on-screen text without English coverage - hence no subtitles. Celestial's promotional trailer is here - both Cantonese and Mandarin soundtracks with English subtitles are included.

There's a Promotional Trailers section for titles: 'Brave Archer', ' Black Belt', 'Gamera The Brave' and 'Lone Wolf And Cub TV Series'.

A photo gallery is here. In comparison to the IVL DVD's original poster and film stills (provided by Celestial), there's an additional poster for the US 'Instructors Of Death' release. However, it doesn't have the behind-the-scenes photos the IVL has. In a strange effect, the whole gallery plays twice before returning to the menu.

An exclusive altogether on Media Blasters Shaw releases - a credit-less version of the section where opening credits are. It begins from the lion-dancing contest (after Lau Sifu's opening) with a running time of 1:46.

Despite the glitches on the main feature's video, MB have at least looked through all their features this time and attempted to render the extras progressive as well (the extras on previous discs hadn't always considered this aspect).

OTHER COMMENTS: As I expressed in my 'Challenge Of The Masters' review, the menus are still a bit awkward to navigate. I think more chapters should have been here. A US trailer and credit sequence would have been a nice inclusion.

Whilst not without it's problems, it's definitely a preferred and superior option to IVL's DVD to avoid it's video conversion and remix issues.

Archived