i gotta say all my favie LKL movies are with Gordon Liu but films like

mad monkey kung fu

my young auntie

executioner from shaolin

the lady is the boss

spritual boxer

legendary weapons..

dont suck ! They might be not top material but they still above average...:D

I have to agree here. I went back and watched LWoC and now my gf is getting it for me for christmas. My Young Auntie has, in my opinion of course, one of the best end fight scenes I have seen in a LONG time. Seriously, it gets me SO PUMPED!!! lol

I also agree with Franky on that my favorites by the legendary LKL are with Gordon Liu. However, I have not seen 8 diagram. I will change that shortly though. My favorite SB flik period, is well...Martial Club. That has everything for me, and I LOVE the message. Humility is a wonderful thing.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i gotta say all my favie LKL movies are with Gordon Liu but films like

mad monkey kung fu

my young auntie

executioner from shaolin

the lady is the boss

spritual boxer

legendary weapons..

dont suck ! They might be not top material but they still above average...:D

Mad monkey kung fu and LwoC would both be in my top 10, out of that list Spirtual Boxer is really the only lesser efforts imo and maybe Lady is the Boss, though I was highly entertained when I watched it recently, but even then the fighting is top notch in both.

Pops top 10 beats Cheh top 10. And Cheh top 10 all had choreography from Pops.

This really isn't even debatable so I'm expecting no replies to this thread since I've already ended the argument before it could even get started.

One Armed Boxer
On 12/17/2017 at 2:52 PM, Iron_Leopard said:

This really isn't even debatable so I'm expecting no replies to this thread since I've already ended the argument before it could even get started.

You're saying the guy who made 'Drunken Master 3' is better than the guy who made 'Five Shaolin Masters'!?  Lunacy.

odioustrident
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:52 PM, Iron_Leopard said:

This sums up my opinion better than I could put it. If you look at Chang Cheh's early work he was just another HK director copying Japanese films from a year or two earlier. Magnificent Trio is a direct lift from Three Outlaw Samurai. One Armed Swordsman was a success because of Lau Kar Leung's action... not because Chang Cheh decided to combine Return of Condor Heroes with Tange Sazen.

As directors it's hard to compare their careers but as creative minds it's easy. Lau Kar Leung simply had more original ideas that came directly from himself. He would show up late to Chang Cheh's sets and have dinner with him every night of shooting. These dinners were the likely source of the most of the ideas in Chang Cheh's films.

CoolBlackKnight
On 11/12/2008 at 8:13 AM, KyFi said:

Kind of a toss-up for me. In my opinion:

LKL:

* Much deeper understanding of the the themes and philosophy of martial arts

* Generally better choreographed fight scenes

* more attention to detail and overall quality control in his films

* more varied plots and themes

CC:

* More visionary in regards to creating different genres within martial arts films

* Stronger sense of visual style

* heavier emotional themes

I think I would probably argue that LKL was a better technical filmmaker, but CC was a bit more of a true "artist", in that he was obsessed with certain themes and images that stuck with him his whole career.

I really have trouble picking one over the other, but I might give a slight nod to CC. They're certainly both true giants of the genre.

yeahboy.gif

This was difficult but still I'd give a slight edge to Chang Cheh.

Lau Kar Leung for the fight choreography but I enjoyed the Chang Cheh films more.I think they were more entertaining.

chang cheh of course. does not take any time to choose which like more..Tho I love lot martial club, shaolin mantis and heros of the east they would be in shaw top10...but I am more into cc violent style, would be impossible to put anyone above director who made golden swallow, shaolin temple, 5 shaolin masters..and masked avengers...

It’s surprising so see many say it should be Chang Cheh easily.

While Chang Cheh clearly has a huge body of work, and many great films, I personally think Lau Kar Leungs best films are better than Chang Chehs best. Tough call either way.

Lau Kar Leung for me, but I am glad I don’t have to pick one or the other!

Graeme Of Death
1 hour ago, paimeifist said:

It’s surprising so see many say it should be Chang Cheh easily.

While Chang Cheh clearly has a huge body of work, and many great films, I personally think Lau Kar Leungs best films are better than Chang Chehs best. Tough call either way.

Lau Kar Leung for me, but I am glad I don’t have to pick one or the other!

Yeah that would be my choice. The fight scenes are better in LKL best films. I know he was doing the choreography on Chang Chehs films but on his owns one it's far more polished and stylised where as I find most of the fight scenes in the Chang Cheh films still very of their time and clunky :)

10 minutes ago, Graeme Of Death said:

Yeah that would be my choice. The fight scenes are better in LKL best films. I know he was doing the choreography on Chang Chehs films but on his owns one it's far more polished and stylised where as I find most of the fight scenes in the Chang Cheh films still very of their time and clunky :)

For me it’s not just the fighting. I find Lar Kar Leungs films to be a bit more grounded and less excessive or “over the top” than Chang Cheh’s, in characters and story as well. That stylistic difference results in a film that feels of a higher quality to me.

But lau kar leung was at times action director and sometimes even actor on chang cheh masterpieces.

8 hours ago, Graeme Of Death said:

On fight scenes at times he was at times really creative on his own films. Specially on Dirty Ho but in most others too...only I think is far overrated is end of legendary weapons, it looks like 2 man form instead of fight.  Movie has it`s admirers tho...

Archived