Executioners of Shaolin Or Fists of the white Lotus?

Sandpalm79

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoy both, but if you're only going to watch one of them, it should be Executioners. It has more of a classic feel to it.

Fists of the white lotus is one of Gordon Liu's better in my opinion, and has some really creative choreography.

kungfusamurai

If you just watch the films for fight scenes, Fist/Clan of The White Lotus definitely excels. But as overall storyline, acting, and drama goes, EoS is still the better film.

I think the main detraction of Fist/Clan is that it feels like a remake of EoS. If EoS had never been made, then Fist/Clan would rate really high. And as endings go, I really found the latter films ending really disappointing, especially in light of the fact that the whole film seemed to be played more for laughs, whereas EoS was more serious.

KFS

crazedjustice888

The ONE thing I don't like in Fist of the White Lotus is that hair pin fight. I am sorry, thats just not my type of fighting...

3 particular characters make Executioners the top choice. Lo Lieh, Chen Kuan Tai, and Lily Li bring a certain majesty to that film. They make you take it seriously. Wang Yu of course nearly destroys it at the end but overall I found it grand. Fist of the White Lotus on the other hand I find to be rather silly. I still don't really see the direction or spin they were trying to put on it, was it suppose to be a comedy? a drama? an action film? I think with that cast and Gordon Liu as the lead, it should of been much better.

kungfusamurai
3 particular characters make Executioners the top choice. Lo Lieh, Chen Kuan Tai, and Lily Li bring a certain majesty to that film. They make you take it seriously. Wang Yu of course nearly destroys it at the end but overall I found it grand.

If it ended up being destroyed, you'd have to blame Pops. Wong Yue just did what he was told. I agree there were moments in the finale that were played for laughs, but I'm guessing LKL wanted to convey the sense that Hung Wen Ding, while immature, was also using his youth and inexperience to his advantage, since it took Pai Mei off guard.

KFS

I have issues with both films.

As I said in the previous thread I didn't buy Wong Yu defeating Pai Mei.

In FOTWL I didn't like the whole 'female' style.

For me both films are decent. Flip a coin

I would be curious to what everyone thinks of Shaolin Abbot compared to those two films

If you just watch the films for fight scenes, Fist/Clan of The White Lotus definitely excels. But as overall storyline, acting, and drama goes, EoS is still the better film.

I think the main detraction of Fist/Clan is that it feels like a remake of EoS. If EoS had never been made, then Fist/Clan would rate really high. And as endings go, I really found the latter films ending really disappointing, especially in light of the fact that the whole film seemed to be played more for laughs, whereas EoS was more serious.

KFS

If you think about it, it was at a time when jackie chan and comedy kung fu was king.I guess this would explain the choreography change, since jackie raised the bar.Which only made the Lau's choreography better.I love them both,but story wise(and acting)E.O.S.Action wise F.O.T.W.L.

Chinatown Kid

I have to say Executioners because it's more emotionally powerful for me with the son taking revenge for his father and the Shaolin Temple. Lo Lieh's portrayel of Bei Mei is classic in this film and is one of my favorites for nostalgic reasons back in the Black Belt theatre days of the early 80's of my youth. And boy did I have a crush on Lily Li! :angel:

Ok fresh from the other post I have to touch this one too. All I remember liking about Gordon's movie was the intro and the second round fight... which is pretty much the same things I like about Chen Kuan Tai's movie. This is really a toss up. With Pai Mei as the tie breaker, I liked EFS more even with Wong Yue's cheap ass win because that hairpin fight (reminded me of the lame voodoo fight in Legendary Weapons) and feminine training didn't sit well with me. Pai Mei was "snuck up on" in both movies. Let's see... snuck up on in the bathtub vs snuck up on not in the bathtub. I'll choose the latter because he was cool as a cucumber! He didn't even trip, he just gave the slightest of nods. Kudos to Lo Lieh as an actor. The nod was so slight I almost didn't notice it. I also wasn't a fan of his floating away I would rather he take his invincible hits like a man so... EFS for me.

Archived