Zatoichi's Conspiracy Observation

kungfusamurai

kungfusamurai

This topic is probably more rhetorical than anything, but I thought it was strange in Zatoichi's Conspiracy that the Magistrate's right-hand man, who I think was a samurai bodyguard, was never really seen or named. I was half expecting it to be some kind of surprise twist of the plot in the finale that would reveal his identity, but it never happened! He sort of had a showdown with Zatoichi, but it was kind of lost in the shuffle with the overall fight at the Magistrates place.

Anyone else find this treatment of the character odd? I don't think I ever came across this in any samurai film. Was the guy even credited for the role? His voice kind of reminded me of Ichikawa Raizo, and when they showed him from the front (it was a distance shot, so his face could not be made out), his hair was reminiscent of Nemuri Kyoshiro's hair.

Overall I liked the film and thought it was a nice 'ending' to the Zatoichi saga on film (at least until the 1989 flick). I just started watching the Toho 70s flicks after really liking the TV series from '74. I don't think they done as well as the 60s Daiei flicks in the story department, but the fight scenes were all great. I found Zatoichi in Desperation somewhat disappointing because it was a bit sloppy and the final fight scene really wasn't believable (his sword wouldn't have cut when tied to his wrist that way).

KFS

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm it's been years since I've seen this movie and I may be mixing it up with another one, I need to start going back through these again, not to mention the ones that I haven't seen yet.

I started talking with the Japanese guy at the sushi restaurant, he was in his mid 50's and couldn't believe I knew who Zatoichi was, I got some free sake for that, kumpie!

kungfusamurai
Hmmm it's been years since I've seen this movie and I may be mixing it up with another one, I need to start going back through these again, not to mention the ones that I haven't seen yet.

I started talking with the Japanese guy at the sushi restaurant, he was in his mid 50's and couldn't believe I knew who Zatoichi was, I got some free sake for that, kumpie!

I can't believe that there was a Japanese guy working at a sushi restaurant! Most of them where I work are run by non-Japanese (chinese or korean mostly).

I'll probably revisit the 60s films. I haven't watched those in a while. I felt the TV series from '74 felt truer to the 60s films than the 70s.

KFS

Well there seems to be a good population of Japanese people in South Florida, this guy owns a Sushi/Thai place and is married to a Thai lady, if they keep giving me free sake they'll have a customer for life. There's another place down the road that has an older Japanese guy in this little tiny Sushi place, best I've ever ate in the US, I think he goes down and hand picks the fish himself, a bit expensive but well worth it.

I agree the older Zatoichi movies are better as they started getting a bit repetative, but they still kept the character intact and never changed the formula, and that's what makes these movies so great.

Archived