Godzilla!

shaolindogpaw

Sitting there flicking through the channels drinking my coffee on a Saturday late morning I was remembering Godzilla as a kid, I found I had Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla dvdr, one of my favorite Godzilla movies, So I threw it in, well after half way through it I realized I've never seen the Japanese original, I'm taking it the English version was seriously cut to hell and back. It's been a while since I saw this last, I'm loving the score to this.

Matango is a freaking great movie! You'd be hard pressed to find a stanger flick for it's time.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stuntman Jules
Sitting there flicking through the channels drinking my coffee on a Saturday late morning I was remembering Godzilla as a kid, I found I had Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla dvdr, one of my favorite Godzilla movies, So I threw it in, well after half way through it I realized I've never seen the Japanese original, I'm taking it the English version was seriously cut to hell and back. It's been a while since I saw this last, I'm loving the score to this.

Matango is a freaking great movie! You'd be hard pressed to find a stanger flick for it's time.

Yeah, Matango is such a hauntingly beautiful, almost poetic film. If you like Matango, Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell is kind of similar in its set-up and themes. Those two films along with Nakagawa's Jigoku are pretty much my favorite Japanese cult fantasy/horror films of the 60s.

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (I'm assuming you're talking about the 1974 one) is way fun. One of my favorite Jun Fukuda-directed entries. King Seasar is awesome. The US version is pretty similar to the Japanese. The original US version had some violence cut and the last minute of the film chopped, but the most commonly seen version of the movie distributed by New World Video from the 80s on, shown on Sci-Fi, etc, is the international version which is uncut. The real problem with any US version of the film is how horrible the dubbing is, a problem pretty much remedied on Sony's DVD (though the subtitles are dubtitles, sadly).

Stuntman Jules
Jigoku was pretty freaking weird, that ending, this must have been Miike and Lynch's favorite movie.

Nobuo Nakagawa was always one of Japan's most underrated filmmakers. While Jigoku is his goriest film, I think Ghost of Yotsuya is his masterpiece, though it's very hard to pick. That story (Yotsuya Kaidan) has been lensed a million times by so many other Japanese filmmakers, including Shiro Toyoda (Illusion of Blood) and Kinji Fukasaku (Crest of Betrayal). but Nakagawa's, at least as far as pure horror goes, is the best, IMHO.

Booooooo...:cry:

http://chud.com/articles/articles/23166/1/GODZILLA-YES/Page1.html

Well it can't be worse than the earlier piece of:crossedlips: QT said he always wanted to make a Godzilla movie, where he is God, that would be the hollywood movie I want to see.

Check out the pic - anatomy of godzilla in the link, freaking awesome:nerd: with a further search -

http://pinktentacle.com/2008/10/kaiju-anatomical-drawings/

I love how CHUD said the Emmerich version was a bit of a disappointment when it really was THAT bad!!!

I hope Legendary Pictures does prove faithful to the story. They need to bring back stuntman Tsutomu Kitagawa as the big man. He played Godzilla in all the millennium Godzilla films but I think he's working on the latest Super Sentai series perhaps...who knows.

I'd be fine if they'd have stopped at Terror of Mechagodzilla, I guess some of the Heisei stuff is decent but I'm just not to psyched about this newest one.

I love how CHUD said the Emmerich version was a bit of a disappointment when it really was THAT bad!!!

Lol that's exactly what I thought. While I'm not holding my breath, hopefully they learned their lesson with the first cgi crapfest, and just because it's a Hollywood movie why don't they try bringing in some Asian actors for Fs sake, Sanada maybe, christ bring in James Hong!

Just watched Godzilla vs Gigan thanks to the awesome Kung Fu Bob, had to be 25 years or so since I last saw it, damn it brought back some memories.

Just watched Godzilla vs Gigan thanks to the awesome Kung Fu Bob, had to be 25 years or so since I last saw it, damn it brought back some memories.

Man you guys suck! No one wants to talk some Godzilla:xd:

I'm going to the Godzilla forum(storms off slams door)(opens door comes back in) does anyone know a good Godzilla forum?:wink:

Maybe your all giant cockroaches from another planet for all I know:neutral::nerd:

:tongue:

danthemandmv

Tosh,I've been a fan of The King Of The Monsters most of my life,&I pray Legendary Pictures' upcoming G-flick will give us a REAL American Godzilla adventure(the creature from Tri-Star's 1998 film was a cool design in its own right,but it WAS NOT GODZILLA;interestingly,this beast DID face the real Godzilla in ''GODZILLA:FINAL WARS''...)Probably the best Godzilla forum on the net can be found here: http://www.clubtokyo.org/dicuss/

danthemandmv

You may have to type the URL directly into the address bar,Tosh...

D'OH!!!I forgot to mention you'll have to register-sorry 'bout that.

Twitch just released what could be either fan sculptures or the possible head of the new Godzilla in model form. However, Legendary Pictures, once they have a design, will have to get approval from Toho Company before they can go ahead with the new Godzilla design.

godzilla2012-design01.jpg

godzilla2012-design02-thumb-515x400-16106.jpg

Tosh,I've been a fan of The King Of The Monsters most of my life,&I pray Legendary Pictures' upcoming G-flick will give us a REAL American Godzilla adventure(the creature from Tri-Star's 1998 film was a cool design in its own right,but it WAS NOT GODZILLA;interestingly,this beast DID face the real Godzilla in ''GODZILLA:FINAL WARS''...)Probably the best Godzilla forum on the net can be found here: http://www.clubtokyo.org/dicuss/

Thanks I'm gonna sign up over there, I have some bandai's I need to get rid of and I need some DVD's too.

Twitch just released what could be either fan sculptures or the possible head of the new Godzilla in model form. However, Legendary Pictures, once they have a design, will have to get approval from Toho Company before they can go ahead with the new Godzilla design.

godzilla2012-design01.jpg

godzilla2012-design02-thumb-515x400-16106.jpg

Looks like the raptor from Jurassic park. As long as they don't have him laying f'n eggs:neutral:

Thanks for the forum!

KurizuMsan

My Favorite Godzilla Has Got To Be The Original Japanese "Gojira".

Somehow The American Re-cut Lost Something In The Process.

I Still Have My 18in Godzilla Figure Standing On My Shelf.

I Think I Got It When I Was Around 4 Or 5 So It's Pretty Old.

Has Anyone Ever Seen "King Kong VS Godzilla" ?

It's A Classic

Looks like the raptor from Jurassic park. As long as they don't have him laying f'n eggs:neutral:

Thanks for the forum!

Yeah, like a mix between a raptor and the design they used for GMK:

0-ref.jpg

That one was still my favorite.

Archived