CONVERT ME.... I don't dig on the swordplay!

TibetanWhiteCrane

TibetanWhiteCrane

But with that being said, I have enjoyed the paticular style of movies like DUEL TO THE DEATH, THE SWORD (1980) and MOON WARRIORS (ie fast action, with some wire stuff, but not over the top). I believe most of those were AC'ed by Ching Siu Tung, but then when I look at some of his other movies, it's like wire bonanza, and I really don't dig that. So what the hell is it that I am looking for, does it even exist outside of those few titles I mentioned?

60's and 70's wuxia doesn't do it for me! We're talking 80's and up!

Can you recommend something?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try John Woo's swordplay film, LAST HURRAH FOR CHIVALRY (1978).

From Shaw Bros. try THE SUPREME SWORDSMAN (1984). It's different, but there's a lot of sword action in it and it's about a quest by an evil swordsman to fight and defeat each of the martial world's top 100 swordsmen and take their swords. He gets up to 99 early in the film, but then #100 gives him a bit of trouble. Jason Pai Piao stars, with Derek Yee, Yuen Wah and Ku Feng co-starring.

I'd also recommend Chor Yuen's HEROES SHED NO TEARS (1980), with Fu Sheng and Derek Yee.

Try some Japanese samurai films: YOJIMBO (1961), SWORD OF DOOM (1967), SAMURAI REBELLION (1967), KOJIRO (1967), BAND OF ASSASSINS (1970), and various ZATOICHI and LONE WOLF AND CUB films. Plus the Nemuri Kyoshiro Sleepy Eyes of Death series. You can't go wrong there.

Let's not forget anime like NINJA SCROLL and "Rurouni Kenshin"/"Samurai X."

Fire Dragon (1994) Brigitte Linn

Swordsman 1 (1990) Sam Hui, Jackie Cheung

Swordsman 2 (1992) Jet Li, Brigitte Linn

East is Red (Swordsman 3) (1993) Brigitte Linn

Eagle Shooting Heroes (1993) Brigitte Linn, Maggie Cheung, Leslie Cheung, etc... (may be too over the top for your tastes)

Magic Crane (1993) Anita Mui (might be too goofy)

New Dragon Inn (1992) Brigitte Linn, Maggie Cheung, Tony Leung

Mmmm, I couldn't actually think of anything from the Eighties.

Human Lanterns is somewhat a swordplay in disguise.

Bells of Death is late 60's but a damn fine sword movie more in tune with a Samurai film, and it stars Chang Yi!

Deadly Breaking Sword stays more grounded from what I remember.

And yeah, Samurai moviesXD

Dragon Inn (1966)

A Touch of Zen (1969)

Both directed by King Hu. Yes, they're both from the Sixties, but they're considered classics for a reason.

The Musashi Samurai trilogy is probably my favorite swordsmanship films. Very accurate kenjutsu and delivers a good message about martial arts.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I've seen most of the movies you guys mention, and they didn't work for me. The Japanese stuff I love, that's not where the problem lies. It's the wuxia.... I wanna like it! But the old stuff is just people banging swords together, and the newer stuff is so wire heavy, it makes my head hurt. I wanted to find a middle ground, but I guess it doesn't really exist.

What about the more fantastique stuff from Shaws?? I mean, I love DEATH DUEL and I love BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA, so by that rationale, I might actually dig stuff like... the BASTARD SWORDSMAN flicks, DESCENDANTS OF THE SUN, LEGEND OF THE BAT, the HIDDEN POWER DRAGON SABRE flicks etc.

Any recommendations in that genre??

TibetanWhiteCrane
No one can possibly like Descendant of the Sun XD

Duely noted:)

Have you seen Tsui Harks The Blade?

Yes, it was decent, but still not what im looking for............... I know..... im not easy:S

Okay, so what about:

Holy Flame of the Martial World

Web of Death

Buddha's Palm (not really wu xia, but it's in a similar vein to the movies you mentioned)

Demon of the Lute

The Battle Wizard

Little Dragon Maiden

These are all fun, heavy on the fantasy movies,like the one's you mention.

Ever seen New One-armed Swordsman? The other two in the trilogy might be a little too old school for you, but this one's pretty bad ass.

Non-Shaw (not wu xia) from the Yuen clan (and all that's available on dvd):

Miracle Fighters

Taoism Drunkard

And completely out of left field: Kung Fu vs Acrobatic

Fantasy martial arts as opposed to fantasy swordplay (like Buddha's Palm)

ironfistedmonk

I hate wirework but I loved the Bastard Swordsman films, they do have the OTT wuxia stuff going on but for some reason I let it slide in these films cos they are so much fun, I'd say you should check these out. Have you seen Strife for Mastery, Bloody Mission, Flute Player of Wrath, Sword of Justice? Great shapes swordplay

I'd recommend the BASTARD SWORDSMAN movies as well.

I enjoyed DESCENDANT OF THE SUN, but I saw it as more of a superhero movie, with the Superman story transplanted to Ancient China.

TibetanWhiteCrane
I hate wirework but I loved the Bastard Swordsman films, they do have the OTT wuxia stuff going on but for some reason I let it slide in these films cos they are so much fun, I'd say you should check these out. Have you seen Strife for Mastery, Bloody Mission, Flute Player of Wrath, Sword of Justice? Great shapes swordplay

looked them up, and they all looked pretty interesting, thanks.

But SWORD OF JUSTICE is listed on HKCM as 1964:o I saw a yotube clip, and there is no way that movie is that old. The choreo looked at least late 70's.

Can this be right??

I'd recommend the BASTARD SWORDSMAN movies as well.

I enjoyed DESCENDANT OF THE SUN, but I saw it as more of a superhero movie, with the Superman story transplanted to Ancient China.

I've decided to give the BS movies a try, they look pretty cool.

DOTS, loooks totally crazy. But what is it that most people don't like about it?? is the action bad? Is it the OTT silliness?

I think this got kind of mixed reviews, but I really enjoyed the Japanese flick The Princess Blade from a few years ago. I think it was choreographed by Donnie Yen. Interesting story and setting, and I liked the look of the fight scenes----not too much wirework or undercranking:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSqCe1DP_lI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSqCe1DP_lI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

TWC, check out Burning Paradise if you haven't!

Also, you can't go wrong with Blade of Fury, although a bit cranked at times.

odioustrident

Chan Chuen and Ho Ming Hu are two choreographers for swordplay that keep it grounded and at least a little technical.

Strife for Mastery

18 Shaolin Riders

Don't watch Killer from Above its a bad example of Chan Chuen's stuff.

Also, Jade Dagger Ninja is a Taiwanese wuxia that might surpass anything Shaw studios ever did action-wise (of course thats open to debate).

Have you seen Tsui Harks The Blade?

I'll second that reccomendation, that sounds like what you are looking for, good action, not too wire heavy. Its kind of a one-armed swordsman story. One hell of a body count by the end of the film.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Mmm... I like this thread, I feel pretty much the same way as you TWC. Just saw the trailer for sword of justice, it looks pretty good. It has a nice samurai movie vibe to it. But of course, it doesn't have a DVD release...

Have you seen Soul of the sword with Ti Lung, I think it might be the type of movie you're looking for. I don't recall much wirework in it.

Archived