Big Boss 100% uncut?

soulborn

Son Of A Gun

:xd: Christ, I forgot about his look!

All we need now is Gok Wang to step in and give it... "It's all about the confidence!" :wink:

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm... I think Jason and I are on par with one another... you can ask him :wink:

"... with money in his pocket, he's probably dead drunk somewhere... with women."

:bigsmile:

Jeru the Damaja
Didn't sleep for 3 days! :xd: I know exactly what you mean. I was the same when I finally saw that GOD footage. I actually didn't even know it had been released on dvd yet at the time, and I was browsing through my local music/dvd store and spotted "Game of Death platinum edition HKL". My blood pressure went up a little.... I took it off the shelf and looked on the back cover.

Then read - "Game of Death Re-visited featurette-40 minute edit of the original Game of Death Footage"

I was like "Holy Satan!" :smile: Bought it and rushed home like my life depended on it. People didn't understand when I shouted "I've waited 25 years to see this dvd!!"

I already knew the footage had been found and edited together because I'd seen BBC2 (I think) air an edited version of the Warriors Journey cut with commentary by "Andrew Staton and Jude Poyer, was it?

I've seen the Warriors Journey documentary. What's difference between the footage edit in the Warriors Journey documentary and the Game of Death platinum edition HKL footage edit?

Son Of A Gun

^ I don't have time right now to explain it in great detail, but maybe someone else can explain for you.

Briefly...

Warriors Journey edit uses some different takes, and the editing is tighter, so the fight moves faster without hanging around. Different music, different sound effects, ...gives a whole different feel to the Pagoda footage.

Artport (who made the version that HKL borrowed) had slightly more footage to work with than John Little's Warriors Journey. He had several minutes of footage missing from the Je Han Jae fight so had to insert pieces of the 1978 GOD to fill in the gaps, hence the quality change during those shots.

Oh and Warriors Journey edit uses the correct dialogue, where as Artport made up the dialogue. Also Warriors Journey has Kareem's real voice, where as Artport's has Dan Inasanto's real voice.

Artport remastered their version. But for Warriors Journey - John Little was not able to, so the picture is kinda faded and greenish, but looks good all the same.

That's a brief run down. :wink:

Jeru the Damaja
^ I don't have time right now to explain it in great detail, but maybe someone else can explain for you.

Briefly...

Warriors Journey edit uses some different takes, and the editing is tighter, so the fight moves faster without hanging around. Different music, different sound effects, ...gives a whole different feel to the Pagoda footage.

Artport (who made the version that HKL borrowed) had slightly more footage to work with than John Little's Warriors Journey. He had several minutes of footage missing from the Je Han Jae fight so had to insert pieces of the 1978 GOD to fill in the gaps, hence the quality change during those shots.

Oh and Warriors Journey edit uses the correct dialogue, where as Artport made up the dialogue. Also Warriors Journey has Kareem's real voice, where as Artport's has Dan Inasanto's real voice.

Artport remastered their version. But for Warriors Journey - John Little was not able to, so the picture is kinda faded and greenish, but looks good all the same.

That's a brief run down. :wink:

Thanks for the help:bigsmile:

"Ahhhhhhhh whats the matter? No dinner with the boss tonight? She would've kept it warm if she knew you were coming. Our foreman, reduced to eating scraps."

"I don't like this"

"He's full of crud, and you're not far behind."

Do I feel a 'Game of Death' thread coming on? :bigsmile:

497.jpg

Hey Son Of A Gun,

I too detected a wee change in the normal content of the Big Boss - I must say you have posted an amazing pic of Bruce and Kareem. Never seen that one before so many thanks for that. I'm sure lots of fans on here will appreciate your contributions.

A suggestion? Why don't you create a brand new separate thread for 'Game of Death' so we can all comment on that one! and maybe if you have other good stuff for Bruce's films set up new threads for all his films :bigsmile:

Son Of A Gun

Sure, I can do that. It would have to be a picture thread posted in the "images" section though, right? Because I can't think of any particular thing to discuss and I think Game of Death has been discussed into the ground over the years. :tongue:

I'll start a Game of Death piccy thread tomorrow then.

Sure, I can do that. It would have to be a picture thread posted in the "images" section though, right? Because I can't think of any particular thing to discuss and I think Game of Death has been discussed into the ground over the years. :tongue:

I'll start a Game of Death piccy thread tomorrow then.

Good man! Will look forward to that :bigsmile:

I would like to be a member of the Bruce Lee Central Group but haven't been invited to that yet! ???

Thanks again for your contributions, they are greatly appreciated!

"Yes..such good workers...$1000 each"

Son Of A Gun
Bruce Lee Central Group
Didn't know there was one.

"Aren't you curious why? Of course you are..."

Man, Big Boss has one of the best english dubs ever! :xd:

I remember going to the "world premiere" of Warriors Journey in Bradford, England with John Little in attendance.

Great crowd reaction - can remember almost hearing the gasps when the until then, unseen footage aired (this was in a cinema). John Little was a really intelligent , nice guy too - seemed to get a lot of scorn in later years , being accused of too much fanboy overload with Bruce - but I have to say I thought otherwise having met him.

Son Of A Gun
I remember going to the "world premiere" of Warriors Journey in Bradford, England with John Little in attendance.

Great crowd reaction - can remember almost hearing the gasps when the until then, unseen footage aired (this was in a cinema). John Little was a really intelligent , nice guy too - seemed to get a lot of scorn in later years , being accused of too much fanboy overload with Bruce - but I have to say I thought otherwise having met him.

Out of the whole world, they chose Bradford UK to premiere A Warriors Journey? Why?:ooh:

Cool though. I wish I had seen it on the cinema.

It was at the national museum of film there.

It may have been Andy Staton etc that arranged it (memory dimming!) and I believe that he may hail from that area though not 100%.....

As stated, it was worth it for the audience reaction :smile: ..

then of course we got it on dvd first in the uk and the us release was missing some special features (original storyline featurette being one of them) when it was released...strange..

anyway, back to Big Boss... :bigsmile:

Son Of A Gun

Thanks for the info Kurtz.

Does anyone know why John Little was given an inferior print of the GOD 1972 footage, where as Artport got a better print it seems, and John Little's print was missing footage from the Temple of Gold floor. Just like our "Rushes" dvd. Why?

Where did the 2 different prints come from?

Hi Guys

My good man Karlos sent me a copy of The Big Boss (Old Dub ) for free and I just finished watching it.

• The print is actually pretty good as is the audio

• The film runs 84 minutes

• The dubbing is actually a lot better than I thought it would be

• It has various pieces of dialogue missing

• Every Bruce Lee fight scene is chopped to bits (too many cuts to mention)

Put simply, to anyone who was considering paying £25 for this, dont! I have several possible explanations for the editing.

• Someone will turn up in a few months and say they have the UNCUT old dub and charge £35. It won't be UNCUT though - it will run 99 mins. It'll just be uncut compared to this one lol

• The original print has been edited down due to violence and was possibly going to be released in the UK but was subsequently rejected and replaced with the English dub that we all have.

• Some sad ass collector wanted to give us a taste of what we could have only to hold the uncut original for himself

Either way this copy reminded me of the early 80's Rank version of The Way of the Dragon. CHOPPED TO SH*T! Anyway I had to send my fiancee to bed so that I could watch it and now I have to make it up to her. Luckily I don't need to down a bottle of Hennessy to give me the motivation.

Warm Regards

sdog2006

Archived