The Last Samurai (74)

Tosh

Got to watch this one again the otherday, Hideki Takahashi was a great actor in this, I'm not sure if there are any movies that actually show the transition the Samurai had to make into the Meiji restoration as usually the characters die before or the movies ends.

I find myself torn on the end of this film, historically I'm sure it's very accuarte, but being a fan of these movies I have a hard time watching him walk away from his Samurai life so easily, especially leaving his sword behind at the end up to wearing the Western cloths at the very end, or is it that he respected his masters wishes and moved on with his life.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know Tosh I have this movie and haven't watched it in over 2 years, but I'm gonna have to dig it out again so I can give a better review for it. I do remember that it was a good movie. And I think it was very hard for the Samurai to give up the status that as been a part of there History for so long, being past down from Father to Son the Samurai status was always there and meant something. But as the Samurai's were no more they became ordinary citizens. So I think it was very hard for many of them to switch over to the Modern World.

It's a great movie combining great action, lighthearted moments, revenge, honor and humility, he wanted to fight and die with his master but he wanted him to survive and change with the new world. It's strange to see a Samurai movie denounce the sword like this, the only other movie I can think of is Seppuku when he found out his son in law traded in his blade for money to take care of the family(thus the bamboo blade). I think they did try to show how hard of a transition it was when the Samurai was freaking out about getting his hair cut. I wonder how many Samurai died fighting each other at the beginning of the Meiji period, probably most of the hardcore ones would of rather died than change over. We need a smiley commiting seppukuXD

The Funny thing is can you only imagine how hard it must of been to commit seppuku? To pierce your own bodies vital organs, the pain they must've felt. OUCH!!! :cry:

I know I don't want to compare movies but The Last Samurai with Tom Cruise did show the change that was the transition to cross over to the New Modern World. How a lot of them did resist. Even in a lot of other movies the Japanese wanted to remain as they always were.

Guest WuxiaFan

I've debated for years on whether to watch this movie or not, as I do like Tom Cruise. However, I hate it when Hollywood produces a movie that takes place in a foriegn land, like Japan, and the characters are speaking English. It's absurd. Same with Memoirs of a Geisha-they would not have spoken English with a Japanese accent. They would have spoken Japanese.

So, I decided to go with WHEN THE LAST SWORD IS DRAWN, which is essentially the real Japanese version of THE LAST SAMURAI. WTLSID is absolutely incredible! I highly recommend it! It is visually stunning, the acting is incredible, and the action is superb. I would also recommend reading Mark Pollard's review of the film. It is excellent.

I've debated for years on whether to watch this movie or not, as I do like Tom Cruise. However, I hate it when Hollywood produces a movie that takes place in a foriegn land, like Japan, and the characters are speaking English. It's absurd. Same with Memoirs of a Geisha-they would not have spoken English with a Japanese accent. They would have spoken Japanese.

So, I decided to go with WHEN THE LAST SWORD IS DRAWN, which is essentially the real Japanese version of THE LAST SAMURAI. WTLSID is absolutely incredible! I highly recommend it! It is visually stunning, the acting is incredible, and the action is superb. I would also recommend reading Mark Pollard's review of the film. It is excellent.

The Last Samurai they are talking about is not the one starring Tom Cruise.

Yes, When the Last Sword is Drawn is an awesome movie, they dragged it out a bit to much at the end, but still great characters and action, everything is topnotch keeping it in line with the old classics, otherwise no jpop stars in this one!

This Last Samurai was made in 74 with Hideki Takahashi, I suggest seeking it out if you liked WtLSiD.

Tom Cruise's Last Samurai was alright, the production was top of the line and at least he had enough interest in it to make it, the best to come out of it was Ken Watanabe who stole the show. Though I agree, Hollywood really seems to screw the pooch when it comes to making an Asian movie, unless it's a Vietnam war movie that is.

Archived