Bruce Lee - the Legend

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

I have an old bootleg tape (surprisingly decent quality) of the aforementioned doc. From what I can remember it's different that the other versions available. It has a 1983 copyright so it's not the 1977 original but it's not the 1984 edit that's on DVD either. The 'Enter the Dragon' behind-the-scenes footage is missing and there are clips instead of 'The Green Hornet'. Presumably something to do with copyrights? Anyone know the source of this version or how it differs from the '77 cut which I've never seen? I see that there are quite a few elements in the '83 that couldn't have been in the original (ie. clips from Zu, Warriors Two, Duel to the Death, an on-set peak at The Prodigal Son, etc). It must be a full-on redux.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Linn1

• zerowolf

• Cognoscente

Guest greenbamboo

To my knowledge, there has been 2 docs produced by Golden Harvest on Bruce. First one was man & the legend doc released just after his death in 1973 and the legend doc released as a tribute 10 years after his death in 1983. There was no 1977 version. Nearly all the clips in Legend are from the early 80s - Prodigal Son set, Duel to the Death, Jackie Chan clip etc. Betty Ting Pei HKTV interview is from 1983 - 10 years after his death. I don't know where this 1977 version comes from? You may have the US version - they never had any ENTER clips probably cuz of right issues from Warners but they had Hornet footages. The UK version had ENTER footage clips but no Hornet footages. Strange.

Guest fabhui

Hey Mark, not sure if this is of any help but here is a link to a thread about The Legend over at Nick Clarke's forum. It's the 4th subject down and there is a lot of replies to the original post:

The Legend

Guest Markgway

Ah, yeah, seems I have the 1983 US version.

Damn, I was hoping it was something rare. :P

It's not even an original tape so it's probably worth nothing.

Bah! :(

And there's no 1977 version?? Where did that rumour come from then and why does the HKFA say it's 1977??

Cognoscente
On 8/3/2007 at 1:32 PM, Guest Markgway said:

I have an old bootleg tape (surprisingly decent quality) of the aforementioned doc. From what I can remember it's different that the other versions available. It has a 1983 copyright so it's not the 1977 original but it's not the 1984 edit that's on DVD either. The 'Enter the Dragon' behind-the-scenes footage is missing and there are clips instead of 'The Green Hornet'.

This got me thinking: imagine if Van Williams played Roper. If this had happened, it wouldn't have been all that weird for Golden Harvest to use those Green Hornet clips.