Stunt/Brutality films

bolofan

Basically, I'm a huge fan of martial art movies but my buddies ain't. The only time I can get them to sit through a martial arts film is if it is a pretty jaw dropping brutal spectacle, something pleasing on the eyes.

Films I've watched with them that they enjoyed:

Ong Bak

Tom Yum Goong

Born To Fight (New one and a bit of the old one)

Jackie Chans 80's movies like Police Story, Project A 1 and 2 etc,

Dragon Tiger Gate

SPL

Flashpoint

Chocolate

Could anyone recommend some more bone crunching fight fests that they reckon would entertain someone who liked most of the above.

(Sick stuntwork is a big help, always gets them chuffed)

That way I can make them watch more of these type of films and less of that comic book shite.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there's some really nasty falls in Crime Story. Overall, since the movie is meant to be more serious than Jackie's other outings, it's much darker and more violent than one would expect from him

there's some really nasty falls in Crime Story. Overall, since the movie is meant to be more serious than Jackie's other outings, it's much darker and more violent than one would expect from him

I thought Crime Story was really good actually, I brought it a couple of months back and was pleasantly surprised to see some pretty horrendous falls, including one from a ceiling to the top of a cupboard.

Good stuff.

Morgoth Bauglir

Not modern, but I remember some brutal stunts during the end fight in Shaolin Temple Strikes Back. And the body slamming in Shaolin vs Lama always gets me excited. also Drunken Dragon. There's loads of Taiwanese movies where they do crazy stunts. And then you have Sammo movies like The Victim and Magnificent Butcher. Good brutal stuff in there. Sammo likes to hurt his actors, and himself.

I think theres some good stunts from Jackie in Dragon Lord like the scene on the roof when the spears are coming up and he falls down the roof with bare arms Ouch! and the Flip that Whang in Shik does on him when there fighting.

And also the pyramid scene where he falls off and his head bounces off the ground!

You should get 'In the Line of Duty 4' and 'Tiger Cage 2'. I dont like either film, but if you're a fan of Donnie Yen action, you'll love those two.

If you don't mind watching a film without subs then you should try getting hold of Panna Rittikrai's 'Plook Mun Kuen Ma Kah' It's a solid fight fest with some nasty full contact hits.

^^ i'm with green fan re: early paana stuff. You will never see more brutal stunt work anywhere. I'm talking people getting routinely hit in the head with 2x4s several times in a row, close range body hits with no armor, falls with no mats where the stunt man crashes a motorcycle into the back of a pickup truck and then flies over the truck to land on the ground in front, etc.... None of those movies are available subbed though, or in anything remotely resembling good quality.

The newer post-Ong Bak stuff has a decent amount of this kind of stuff as well. The opening car chase from Born to Fight where the guy falls off the top of an 18wheeler as it's going a good 40/50 mph, bounces of another 18wheeler and then bounces a few times on the concrete is insane.

rdenn what's Mirage? is it new? I'm a big fan of Ron Yu Guang, but i don't think i've seen that one

odioustrident

Try The Rebel with Johnny Nguyen.

I have had success showing Tiger Cage II and In the Line of Duty IV/V, but they're too dated for many non-MA oriented people. Book of Heroes is all stunts basically, but it might be too repetitive or slapstick. Two Toothless Tigers is all about falls with a twist on old school kung fu. Oh yeah... High Voltage, Donnie Yen's precursor to Flash Point more or less.

Morgoth Bauglir
check out tsiu siu mings movie "mirage" with yu rung guang really sick stuntwork in that one

Is that the one with the car stunt where they drive off the cliff and... I don't know how to explain it. That's one of the craziest hings I've ever seen in a movie.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Dragons Forever, the best of the trio's movies IMO.

Also Millionaire's express, Wheels on meals and Armour of God have amazing finales, but they might find those painful to watch from start to finish. Better keep the remote close. Yes Madam might also fall in that category.

Plus of course, most of what was mentionned before me...

Morgoth Bauglir

There's just soooo many good ones out there. I agree about Millionaire's Express (and all the other movies mentioned). That stunt that Yuen Biao does off the building is one of the greatest physical achievements I've ever seen.

Early panna stuff is cool.

New Born to Fight I've had for ages, I love it despite how cheesy it turns out, and as for "the rebel" I finished that a couple of days ago and thought it was a phenomenal all round film.

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah The Rebel must have been a painful movie to make. Great stuff there. And those 2 Born To fight movies are amazing because of the danger of the stunts and brutality in the fights. I can watch those over and over again. I like seeing brutal stuff like thatXD

contour, operation scorpio, tai chi master (jet li), tai chi master (jacky wu jing),bloodmoon, rumble in the bronx, swordsman 2, and even legend of the wolf, redwolf, and perfect weapon

operation scorpio

Everytime I see that scene where the guy crashes throught the window and lands on the stairs I have to watch it twice. Somebody got hurt on that one:o

Archived