HKL old Jackie DVDs which are worth it

Tigerstyles

just noticed that thelast batch of JC lo Wei titles have dropped to £4.99 at Play so glad i held off..

interested in Woooden Men

which titles have original dubs and are worth it in terms of quality and cuts?

Thanks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have Snake and Crane which would be OK but the audio isn't pitch corrected and sounds terrible.

Otherwise subs and Mandarin + English dub are fine (if you like remixes).

I got them all I think all of Jackie's films from this era are good. But if I had to pick from the batch I recommend: Snake & Crane, Fearless Hyena (best one of all IMO), Dragon Fist & Spiritual Kung Fu (5 animals are displayed JC style!):)

Killer Meteor

Aside from Fearless Hyena, all the DVDs suffer from very bad remixes which completely ruin the soundtrack. They claim to offer genuine original mono as an option but instead you just get the remix in fake mono

Some have the original english dubs, again with the lousy remixes. And HKL's New fist of fury is missing 40min compared to the Columbia

Aside from Fearless Hyena, which does have genuine mono, my advice is avoid

Aside from Fearless Hyena, all the DVDs suffer from very bad remixes which completely ruin the soundtrack. They claim to offer genuine original mono as an option but instead you just get the remix in fake mono

Some have the original english dubs, again with the lousy remixes. And HKL's New fist of fury is missing 40min compared to the Columbia

Aside from Fearless Hyena, which does have genuine mono, my advice is avoid

With all respect, I have to disagree with you. HKL was the only label to release these gems in a remastered format, to tell you the truth I hardly notice the difference in sound. Get these gems while they last because they will soon be out of print. :l

and i disagree with you ;-) the remixed Audio is atrocious on them all for someone who likes his films untampered. and the HKL Sh*t DVDs don't even have the Original Trailers, no NOTHING. they're only good for the remastered 16:9 Picture, and that's not HKL to thank for but Fortune Star (have the JP DVDs too)

I wasnt aware there were sound issues with these but got a few of them cheap (not watched them yet) as a lot of this stuff seems to be getting hard to find.. plus I have the VHS as fall back

Anyway I'd say these are the essentials....

Fearless Hyena

Shaolin Wooden Men

Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin

Dragon Fist

Hand of Death

With all respect, I have to disagree with you. HKL was the only label to release these gems in a remastered format, to tell you the truth I hardly notice the difference in sound. Get these gems while they last because they will soon be out of print. :l

With all due respect, were you not the one saying Well Go USA's picture quality on the SB movies were crystal clear? I only bring this up because there are some people out there that have a certain level of standard/expectation with dvd quality and if they were to go on your "review", they would possibly be dissapointed. The same can be said on the other spectrum so dont think I am isolating you. Maybe we can have sticky or something where people can specificly discuss the technical specs of a dvd so that the other forum users dont feel like it will detract from the discussion or escalate into an argument cause those threads typically end up having a divide. Just a thought

Mag bodygaurds is only £2.99 worth it.. has it original dub

or any other titles .. have any been redubbed? hate redubs

I have most of these and there ok if you can get them cheap.

Shaolin Wooden Men and Fearless Hyena are essentials as far as im concerned, Snake and Crane, Dragon Fist, Spiritual Kung Fu are good, while i hated New Fist of Fury and Magnificent Bodyguards.

Sound on most is remixed but not as bad as some and certainly worth getting until other versions (ever?) come out.

Killer Meteor
Mag bodygaurds is only £2.99 worth it.. has it original dub

or any other titles .. have any been redubbed? hate redubs

Someone uploaded the HKL on youtube a while back and yes its the original dub and music - one dvd I had dubbed over some but not all of the Star Wars Music - but the remixed foley is annoying.

In general, I reccomend you rent em first to see what you think of the foley. I'd rather not buy them, and if no-one else puts out a better version, I'll make my own!

So many potentially good DVDs of HK films get ruined and it seems too many fans are willing to turn a blind eye

These films are a lot of fun. I liked Shaolin Wooden Men, Fearless Hyena & Snake & Crane Arts. They're not perfect DVD's, but they're of decent overall quality. My DVD player didn't blow up, my eyes didn't bleed, and no one died. I might be wrong, but I don't think the picture is cropped & the subs are well timed & easy to read. These are most certainly worth the 10 bucks they will set you back until a better DVD comes along, if ever. Maybe Fortune Star will release them in HK soon? I don't know why Lo Wei gets hated on so much. I was expecting these movies to be awful, but they were very entertaining. I want to pick up Dragon Fist soon.

Killer Meteor
These films are a lot of fun. I liked Shaolin Wooden Men, Fearless Hyena & Snake & Crane Arts. They're not perfect DVD's, but they're of decent overall quality. My DVD player didn't blow up, my eyes didn't bleed, and no one died. I might be wrong, but I don't think the picture is cropped & the subs are well timed & easy to read. These are most certainly worth the 10 bucks they will set you back until a better DVD comes along, if ever. Maybe Fortune Star will release them in HK soon? I don't know why Lo Wei gets hated on so much. I was expecting these movies to be awful, but they were very entertaining. I want to pick up Dragon Fist soon.

Oh I agree great films. And the picture quality is good on these dvds

With all due respect, were you not the one saying Well Go USA's picture quality on the SB movies were crystal clear? I only bring this up because there are some people out there that have a certain level of standard/expectation with dvd quality and if they were to go on your "review", they would possibly be dissapointed. The same can be said on the other spectrum so dont think I am isolating you. Maybe we can have sticky or something where people can specificly discuss the technical specs of a dvd so that the other forum users dont feel like it will detract from the discussion or escalate into an argument cause those threads typically end up having a divide. Just a thought

Nope! you got the wrong guy. I collect IVL's and dragon Dynasty. XD

and i disagree with you ;-) the remixed Audio is atrocious on them all for someone who likes his films untampered. and the HKL Sh*t DVDs don't even have the Original Trailers, no NOTHING. they're only good for the remastered 16:9 Picture, and that's not HKL to thank for but Fortune Star (have the JP DVDs too)

I still give HKL credit for making these films available.:)

Shaolin Wooden Men arrived .. watched it this morning (i'm on nights for a while) great movie prob for value of shapes i would rate it 8 out of 10.. original english dub! apart from maybe 4 lines at the start which were oddly redubbed. i noticed the added sound fx.. not too distracting but i can see why so many find them annoying.

no extras at all.. worth £4.99

Shaolin Wooden Men arrived .. watched it this morning (i'm on nights for a while) great movie prob for value of shapes i would rate it 8 out of 10.. original english dub! apart from maybe 4 lines at the start which were oddly redubbed. i noticed the added sound fx.. not too distracting but i can see why so many find them annoying.

no extras at all.. worth £4.99

Rate this one very highly- wish there were more like it- good story, great fights and great performance by Jackie pre Comedy era...

HKL's DVD is Cantonese, as opposed to the correct Mandarin.

The first reel of the English version went missing, or got damaged, hence why it was re-dubbed.

I suspect a longer Mandarin version existed because I detected jumps in the footage and music.

Dude! thanks for the heads up! Not me at all, Im not even a member of that forum.........im going to have to change my screen name I guess. Dont want anyone pissed at me without my knowledge for something the other guy said. Thats funny. Thanks again. :mad:

No worries man. Dont change. Just be yourself:D

So ordering HKL version of Magnificent Bodyguards is a no-no?

If it has cantonese audio with english subtitles then at only £3 i'd be willing to give it a shot but otherwsie no lol

Archived