Buddy in Hong Kong

kowloon

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

Is that the big white guy from Return of the Tiger? What other HK movies has he been in? I've been dying to see more of him ever since I first saw Return of the Tiger. The guy is unstoppable!

Is that the big white guy from Return of the Tiger? What other HK movies has he been in? I've been dying to see more of him ever since I first saw Return of the Tiger. The guy is unstoppable!

Holy crap! I thought the same! I guess we have em confused with Paul Smith.

These guys are twins seperated at birth! :)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0809550/

Bud Spencer is probably best known for the Trinity films with Terence Hill. Looks like his comedic fighting carries over to whatever film he's in.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I love ol' Bud! Use to watch his films on the german channels all the time when I was a kid.

recently bought 3 of the 4 FLATFOOT films. And that was a sweet kick of nostalgia to the face!

I love ol' Bud! Use to watch his films on the german channels all the time when I was a kid.

recently bought 3 of the 4 FLATFOOT films. And that was a sweet kick of nostalgia to the face!

Ok, so this is part of the Flatfoot series? Going to have to see these. Is "Buddy In Hong Kong" an unused alt title? Everything that I've been finding lists it as "Flatfoot Goes East" and "Flatfoot in Hong Kong".

yes it is the same movies of flatfoot goes east and flatfoot in hong kong.

Thanks, kowloon.

Looks like Bud Spencer had quite a career even after the numerous spaghetti westerns that I'm used to seeing him in.

TibetanWhiteCrane

The first one is flatfoot, where he is battling drug dealers in Naples, I think. Then there is flatfoot in Africa, in egypt and in Hong Kong!

Morgoth Bauglir

I just picked up an interesting Videoasia 10-pack at Best Buy called Spaghetti Western Bible Volume 1. This seemes like a fitting thread to make this post in.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001957A26/sr=8-1/qid=1226704875/ref=dp_image_text_0?ie=UTF8&n=130&s=dvd&qid=1226704875&sr=8-1

I don't know much about westerns, and I don't know anything about these movies, so here's word for word what is says on the back of the DVD case (warning, Videoasia descriptions are usually bad and/or incorrect)-

Tedeum- the film that inspired the Trinity franchise! Starring Jack Palance.

Revenge of Trinity- Terrence Hill western shoot'em classic.

Viva Django- the official sequel to the Francis Nero epic. Starring Terrence Hill.

Blackie the Pirate- Bud and Terrence team up on the high seas!

Bulldozer- Bud Spencer is a one man football team.

Kid Stuff- Michael Coby and Paul Smith playing Bud and Terrence!

Diamond Peddlers- Coby and Smith side splitting sequel.

Jesse/Lester- Richard Harrison and Donald O'brien rock and sock their way acoss the west!

Trinity and Bambino- the sons of the Trinity boys!

Trinity Goes East- the last and best incarnation of the Trinity franchise.

So far I've only watched Trinity Goes east and Bulldozer. Trinity Goes East is a bad movie, but awesome to see John Liu and Robert Tai in action as old men. It's too bad they only get 1 fight each, but John Liu is great as the villain, even though he's kind of a comedic villain. This movie is a comedy, but whether or not it's a good comedy is certainly debatable. I did think Steve Tartalia was hilarious, and the guy who dubs John liu's voice had me cracking up quite a few times. I enjoyed this movie a lot, but that's because I like bad movies. I mean how can you not like a movie that devotes 1/3 of the running time to a man's relationship with his pig? And the Baby Cart ripoff towards the end is sure to please any movie fan:p The fighting is pretty good, especially John Liu's fight, so at least it has that going for it. I give it a rating of 2.5/5. Recommended for fans of stupid movies. One more thing, one of the 3 lead actors is a good fighter for a fat guy. I must say I was surprised to see all the work he's done when I looked him up on imdb- http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0520189/ Onto the picture quality... I always expect the worst from Videoasia since they are a crappy company, but the pic quality is good and it's widescreen. There's a lot of pixalation problems, but not bad enough to bother me. I'm easy to please.

Bulldozer I enjoyed even more than Trinity Goes East. I don't know if it can be considered a great movie, but it is very enjoyable. Rating- 3.5/5 (very close to getting a 4). Pic quality is pretty good. Full screen.

If anyone can comment on any of these 10 movies (especially the 8 I haven't watched yet), I would appreciate it. i don't want to waste my time with movies that don't have any entertainment value.

Also thanks for the info Kowloon on Paul Smith and Bud Spencer. I probably would have still been mixed up since they look a lot alike.

I just picked up an interesting Videoasia 10-pack at Best Buy called Spaghetti Western Bible Volume 1. This seemes like a fitting thread to make this post in.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001957A26/sr=8-1/qid=1226704875/ref=dp_image_text_0?ie=UTF8&n=130&s=dvd&qid=1226704875&sr=8-1

I don't know much about westerns, and I don't know anything about these movies, so here's word for word what is says on the back of the DVD case (warning, Videoasia descriptions are usually bad and/or incorrect)-

Tedeum- the film that inspired the Trinity franchise! Starring Jack Palance.

Revenge of Trinity- Terrence Hill western shoot'em classic.

Viva Django- the official sequel to the Francis Nero epic. Starring Terrence Hill.

Blackie the Pirate- Bud and Terrence team up on the high seas!

Bulldozer- Bud Spencer is a one man football team.

Kid Stuff- Michael Coby and Paul Smith playing Bud and Terrence!

Diamond Peddlers- Coby and Smith side splitting sequel.

Jesse/Lester- Richard Harrison and Donald O'brien rock and sock their way acoss the west!

Trinity and Bambino- the sons of the Trinity boys!

Trinity Goes East- the last and best incarnation of the Trinity franchise.

Some of those movies are kind of bad. Coby's real name is Antonio Cantafora if I'm not mistaken.

VIVA, DJANGO aka DJANGO, GET A COFFIN READY (1968) isn't an official sequel. It's not a sequel at all but shows how Django came to be his character in the original. The only "official" sequel to the original is the 1987 DJANGO STRIKES AGAIN starring Franco Nero.

There are around 50 Django "sequels". Some of them deal with the character and others simply plastered the Django name to attract business since the original was a massive success in European territories outside of Italy. It was less successful there amazingly, than it was in other Euro regions. It was never even released theatrically here or the UK because of the level of violence. Nero was actually supposed to be in VIVA, DJANGO, but bowed out to go to Hollywood to do CAMELOT.

If you're interested, you can read a bit about the DJANGO movie and a bit about DJANGO, GET A COFFIN READY here. As parts 3 and 4 are added, I will discuss some more about the other "Sequels"...

http://www.coolasscinema.com/search/label/Spaghetti%20Westerns%20overview%20part%202

Morgoth Bauglir

I had never even heard of Django. Thanks for the info, I'll check out the link. I'm gonna try to watch Blackie the Pirate tonight. I really like this Bud Spencer guy. Have you seen Bulldozer? I was really surprised by how good it is.

If you want to see some good Bud Spencer movies. They Call Me Trinity, Trinity Is Still My Name (both co-starring Terence Hill) and Can Be Done Amigo (co-starring Jack Palance) are about the best that I've seen.

Sounds like the dvd pack you picked up is crap upon crap. Like what venoms5 said about what happened with Django. This also happened with the Trinity and Sartana films.

I had never even heard of Django. Thanks for the info, I'll check out the link. I'm gonna try to watch Blackie the Pirate tonight. I really like this Bud Spencer guy. Have you seen Bulldozer? I was really surprised by how good it is.

No, I haven't seen BULLDOZER. I think a friend was going to send me a copy some time back and I passed on it for whatever reason.

And ditto on what Drunken Cat said.

Morgoth Bauglir

Thanks for the info Drunken Cat. I will try to check those out.

Tonight I watched Kid Stuff. It has a couple of cool moments in the car chases, but overall the movie is a bit of a bore, and really stupid. For the most part the humor is lame. I can only give it a rating of 2/5, and the only reason it doesn't get a 1/5 is because I enjoyed seeing paul Smith fighting. He has 3 fights, but it doesn't compare a lick to how badass he is in Return of the Tiger. Decent pic quality, though it gets bad in the scenes where the sun is shining brightly. Full screen.

I started to watch Diamond Peddlers, but it looks just as bad as Kid Stuff, so I turned it off about 10 minutes in. Full screen, pic quality is maybe a tad better than Kid Stuff. Blackie the Pirate I gave 20 minutes before I turned it off. Doesn't really seem like my type of movie. Partly widescreen and good pic quality, for my standards. I'm not going to waste my time with anymore of the movies in this 10-pack unless someone says they are good.

Archived