Please help! What film is this?

mrsmithuk7

Hi, this is all that i can recall;

The bad guy has very tough arms.

The good guys get beat.

The two main good guys go train.

The last part of training involves the one guy hitting the other guy with thick 1m greased bamboo poles, and the other guy tries to grab them. Finally the guy gets ace enough to grab the greassed bamboo pole and smash it with his two hands in a "wringing a towel action".

The end fight; at last the good guy manages to grab one of the bad guys arms and does the bamboo smashing "wringing a towel action" on it. There is a brief flash to the smashing the bamboo, and the bad guy has a trashed arm, and the fight it over.

A period film i think. I remember it being not at all bad, quality fare.

However,

i have done endless pilles of google searches,

looked through hundreds of "end fights" on youtube,

read through countless kung fu film descriptions,

the film i am looking for does not seem to exist...

so finally i have come to you, please help!

Many thanks;

toby (Leeds, UK)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks dude,

but i think that is not the one.

There a training clip on youtube, and it is rather different from what i remember. Certainly there is no sign of the "two hands wringing out a towel" bamboo crushing technique!

But i have not found an "end fight" clip to make sure...

I just watched the end fight from Of Cooks and Kung Fu (its ridiculously good btw) and although very similar to what you describe, there is no flash back to the shattering bamboo when Jacky Chen breaks Chang Shan's arms. This is Jacky during the training sequence... look familiar?

OfCooksandKungFu.jpg

I would find that movie though just to make sure its not the one you describe. It's a pretty decent watch anyways.

Nope, Of Cooks and Kung Fu is definitely not it.

I get the bamboo breaking connection, but really I'm all about the "wringing of the towel" action!

The style was more serious, probably made quite a bit later.

... it's definetly Hands of Death, aka Countdown to Kung Fu, and the two training are Yang Wei and Tan Tao Liang. Tan uses that technique on James Tien at the end to counter his Goose Fist style, and when it's executed, there's a cutaway shot of a bamboo rod being twisted, to Tien's displeasure.:D

Ahh, bliss (so it does exist, not going senile just yet)

Mr "The Dragon" seems to be quite certain, surely that msut be the one.

Much appreciated.

Archived