Dragon Dynasty's DVD of "My Father Is A Hero" and "Police Story 3"

The Running Man

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unfortunately, I do not have an eye for the kind of video imperfections that you mention chen. From my perspective the DD version looked better overall than the other two versions I had in my possession.

In the comparison you posted, DD is the preferred choice, but more shots reveal it's not the 100% victor. It generally looks consistant and pretty good, but Dimension's DVD doesn't go out of the window - levels are just that bit better (even though it's non-anamorphic, softer, etc). The problem seems to be that their video department doesn't colour-correct (or to the fullest extent) every shot and it results in some scenes looking good, but others horrid. 'Fist Of Legend' suffered from this (Dimension VS DD) - your comparison revealed contrast boosting which meant we couldn't see details on darker objects, like jacket pockets.

For stuff that already is restored (from Fortune Star in particular), the video is being unintelligently "pinked" (same thing at HKL) and whilst it might seem beneficial to the one scene it's applied to, it will look horrid during another shot (the pinking isn't really good when you notice it - HKL Platinum VS Fox). DD's 'Police Story' was a worse-than-usual case when not only colours were fiddled with (to try and improve it), the gamma too and it ended up making it worse when the original was fine (over-exposed, purple and seemingly over-sharpened). The HKL one is probably better than Fortune Star's restoration (just cropping/stretching issues on both), but I assume New Line Cinema's version (on LD) outranks them all (see The Running Man's review and Caps-A-Holic). I'd be interested in a comparison between New Line, HKL and IVL.

I suspect that translates to something along the lines of TWC not wanting to pay for a second print of SUPERCOP when they could save money by reusing the version they already had. It's a smart business choice with regard to the broader market but it doesn't help the label's reputation among the genre faithful. This will probably continue to be an issue with future reissues of past Dimension Films releases.

It's weird though. Unlike 'Fist Of Legend' (and of course 'Police Story 3'), 'Tai Chi Master' ended up being an export (unless 'Twice Deadly' is the export title - maybe both are!) print (same length as counterpart HK version) with the Cantonese soundtrack attached. The Dimension English dub was there, but unwisely dipped into the older 1993 dub for the missing scenes. I would have recommended seamless branching to get 3 versions (all with original theatrical mixes first before remixes):

1) Cantonese (sadly downmixed on the disc).

2) English export dub - it doesn't sound as dumbed down (because lip-sync isn't a big concern as Dimension's - also avoiding the "chop-sockyness"). However, no-one would bother with older rotten dubs probably because it's a commercial disc and there's no thought about it as long as the original Chinese is there. I personally prefer the older dubs because they sound natural to me (no matter how rotten, sort-of!), but I won't debate about that here.

3) Dimension dub - for those after a polished dub (even though I detest it, and no doubt a number of others will too).

For 'My Father Is A Hero', it's been reported that it'll be uncut, but I have doubts because they're using 'The Enforcer' as the title (unless it's a change during the credits). You could say it were for audiences to recognize it from before, but 'Tai Chi Master' didn't receive the name-change treatment.

Back to 'PS3', the image certainly isn't terrible from screencaptures (frame-blurring to be confirmed), levels are pretty decent, but some more colour-correction was needed. As for the rest, everyone knows about that and as more people get the disc, we can shed light on other issues such as the subtitles (retranslation, or a fixing up of previous ones).

I just got my copy of police story 3 and although I haven't watched it, just had a quick flick through, the picture quality looks much better than my old region 1 Dimension DVD. So on that front I'm extremely pleased, however, I am disappointed that there's an English DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 mix but the Cantonese mix is only mono. I realise a lot of you prefer this option however I would prefer it to have a Cantonese DTS track/Dolby Digital.

I suppose it's a small quibble especially since it's a vast improvement in overall picture quality (at least to my eyes on my 32 inch screen) and to not have to put up with that awful rap soundtrack spoiling one of my favourite Jackie Chan films makes this a decent release.

Sure it's not perfect being cut yet I'm sure when I get around to watching it I'm going to be very happy with my DVD, which I wasn't last time.

Not being well-acquainted with Dragon Dynasty DVDs I'm surprised and disappointed they don't include a trailer gallery (like Hong Kong legends DVDs), only a couple of trailers before the film menu loads up. I always found this a great way to discover more films, especially since I pay more attention to trailers that way specifically select to watch. Unlike trailers at the beginning of a DVD which are a nuisance and only served to slow me down from starting the film.

Killer Meteor
I just got my copy of police story 3 and although I haven't watched it, just had a quick flick through, the picture quality looks much better than my old region 1 Dimension DVD. So on that front I'm extremely pleased, however, I am disappointed that there's an English DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 mix but the Cantonese mix is only mono. I realise a lot of you prefer this option however I would prefer it to have a Cantonese DTS track/Dolby Digital.

I don't mind a GOOD remix but often the average remix of a HK film is ghastly

I don't mind a GOOD remix but often the average remix of a HK film is ghastly

I do agree they can be a bit hit-and-miss. I remember being highly disappointed with my HK DTS version of The Killer (Fortune Star?). So yes I'm disappointed they didn't include a good or otherwise 5.1 remix, the film is certainly worthy of a good one.

Killer Meteor
I do agree they can be a bit hit-and-miss. I remember being highly disappointed with my HK DTS version of The Killer (Fortune Star?). So yes I'm disappointed they didn't include a good or otherwise 5.1 remix, the film is certainly worthy of a good one.

I dunno, 5.1 or mono, so long as it sounds faithful to the original. I don't NEED 5.1 for films that were not 5.1

I prefer it. I'd much rather get enveloped in a good 5.1 mix, for me it certainly adds an extra level of pleasure to a good movie.

Guest Markgway

It's taken long enough to get companies to provide original mono so don't you dare start complaining about it. There's absolutely no need for a mono film to be beefed up with a 5.1 remix. The only way of achieving a proper remix would be to create new foley and do you REALLY want that? If the film is good enough you'll accept it as intended.

To concur with both of you:

5.1 is good ONLY if done correctly with the individual masters and no crappy filtering. 5.1 is generally frowned upon by people who watch HK cinema and are aware of the nonsense in them - hence why original theatrical mixes are usually the standard.

For a film like 'Police Story 3' - it certainly does warrant a good 5.1 mix as the mono will seem a bit 'flat' experience-wise. However, only make 5.1 if it'll sound good and the original is always there.

Shame its cut but im happy its mono.

Can someone confirm its true mono not a downmix and its in synch as the HK dvd was out.

The UK disc of 'Last Hero' is the best version, unless you remaster the subtitles and add them to the French disc.

As for 'My Father', I wouldn't have wasted money on that Mei Ah disc as better will be available (hopefully) in the next few months (not particularily the DD disc) - featuring overhauled re-translated subtitles (eradicating any of that previous crap that was full of errors making for a FAR better experience), progressive video, genuine mono and a few nice extras (one seemingly not known to people until recently).

It's been said DD's version will be uncut. It will have nice extras, but the transfer, subtitles, inclusion of an original trailer and audio I'm wondering about.

Guest maskedavenger

The Dragon Dynasty My father is a hero dvd only has english dub :( I am officially done with Dragon Dynasty and won't be buying any more of their products. They are digging their own grave. They are now dead to me and I won't shed a tear when they go out of business. It's a shame as they started out good.

• Administrator
The Dragon Dynasty My father is a hero dvd only has english dub :( I am officially done with Dragon Dynasty and won't be buying any more of their products. They are digging their own grave. They are now dead to me and I won't shed a tear when they go out of business. It's a shame as they started out good.

I saw a couple of sites that only listed the English dub, but that doesn't mean that's really what's up. Unless you have the disc in your hands, and you're reporting this to us as a known fact. Is that the case?

Does anyone know the exact specifications of the disc - dubbed, subbed, etc?

Thanks!

It only offers the English dub, and is cut as was the release Dimension put out years prior. The only thing new here is the special features.

Infini-Tropolis will have a review up shortly.

It only offers the English dub, and is cut as was the release Dimension put out years prior. The only thing new here is the special features.

Infini-Tropolis will have a review up shortly.

WOW. I can't believe they didn't include the Chinese lang. track.

Guest WuxiaFan

chen lung:

Can you provide more details on this "Austrian uncut edition" you mentioned below? Do you really mean Austrian or Australian? Australia's Eastern Eye distributor has released some uncut versions of films previously. When is this going to be released?

chen lung Feb 3rd, 2009 at 10:33 pm

Some stores must get them early. I imagine some sites will pop up with reviews when preview/early copies are sent out to folks.

It’ll be interesting to see how the image looks in comparison with the Mei Ah remaster and Dimension’s previous release. Dimension’s transfer is probably one of the inferior ones in their range as Mei Ah’s looks more vibrant.

If this DVD doesn’t contain the Cantonese soundtrack or the full HK length, I recommend you hold off (unless you want extras) and get the forthcoming Austrian uncut edition that features far better subtitles, genuine Cantonese mono, no interlacing and some extras.

The Mei Ah remaster is inferior with shit translations that make no sense and contain edited soundtracks with false mono and interlacing - not worth it.

It's taken long enough to get companies to provide original mono so don't you dare start complaining about it. There's absolutely no need for a mono film to be beefed up with a 5.1 remix. The only way of achieving a proper remix would be to create new foley and do you REALLY want that? If the film is good enough you'll accept it as intended.

I do appreciate that a lot of fans would actually want the original mono but Dragon Dynasty have no reason why they can't include a decent original language 5.1 remix. I see it as a good thing however they do it as it can hugely improve my viewing pleasure of a terrific movie. If these films were made today they would have it, it's just the simple fact that the technology wasn't there when lot of these films were made. All I'm saying is that I think there should be a choice so that everyone can enjoy the film away they prefer .

Looks like I'll be sticking with my region 2, what a shame.

Killer Meteor
I do appreciate that a lot of fans would actually want the original mono but Dragon Dynasty have no reason why they can't include a decent original language 5.1 remix. I see it as a good thing however they do it as it can hugely improve my viewing pleasure of a terrific movie. If these films were made today they would have it, it's just the simple fact that the technology wasn't there when lot of these films were made. All I'm saying is that I think there should be a choice so that everyone can enjoy the film away they prefer .

Not really, surround sound has been around since the 1950s. However, Hong Kong movies only switched to it in the mid 90s. And I've never seen a 5.1 track improve on the mono original

Archived